Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » River Road (Jefferson at Van Dyke) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8249
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having no water pressure, and knowing that our mains at Jefferson have been leaking for almost a year, I stepped outside. Jefferson is a lake, there is a waterfall into Solidarity House's parking lot, and the water running over the curbs has closed the couple of businesses there.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eek! How is my place? Casa Balcona? I think they shut off the water about five years ago to fix those leaking mains.

Jams

Post Number: 8251
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're ok, so far, the "lake" extends from almost Alden Park's driveway to just past the storefronts.

I took some pics, but I'm still unclear how to reduce them for posting.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I hope they get it fixed asap. Lots of people must be out of water, and then they will make you boil it for awhile after it's fixed.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...A close source to me says there was a gas main break that ruptured the main in the middle of East Jefferson. I will keep you updated on it as the situation progresses.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another FYI..if you have no pressure please call 267-7401. This will help us determine where any boil water is needed.

Thanks

Broken_main

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE!!

There was no gas main break. DTE is on site however. Crews are out to isolate the break and repair should begin immediately after.

Jams

Post Number: 8252
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far, none of the homes on Van Dyke, between Jefferson & LaFayette, Moroun Nursing Home, nor any of the businesses have pressure.

I talked with the security guard at Solidarity House, and yes, water is flooding the ground floor of the building.

As soon as I can get the pics loaded and resized, I'll post them here, It was amazing to watch that waterfall over the garden cascading into the lower parking lot.

Jams

Post Number: 8253
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Broken_main, I'll pass that info to my neighbors.

Talked to the Channel 50 cameraman, refused as is my wont to be interviewed, you should get a pretty good picture of our sudden lake.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I am dealing with it from the inside. Trying to get the water to everyone without to much of an impact on their life. DTE has located a break in a gas main. I am working diligently to assure water for all of the customers.

Keep that number handy and use it for all low pressure, main breaks, busted hydrants, etc.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5014
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another Great Lake.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE!! We have begun to close the isolation gate, which should shut off the supply to the broken main(hehehehe). Hopefully not many residents will lose water pressure.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water pressure now has dropped way down at my home in Lafayette Park. It this part of the same problem?

Jams

Post Number: 8256
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Fox2, not 50, still can't get it right.

Whatever you're doing, the water has receded 1/2 a block and a couple of inches,

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the same low water pressure at my place today, about half a block east of Van Dyke. Thought it was just another stupid problem that the new incompetent building management had, like no hot water last weekend (to name just one).

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 809
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more month and counting ...

Broken_main

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be Neil, We are trying to back up the water pressure from our western station to bring all water pressures back to normal.

DTE has called and confirmed that their gas line ruptured. I have no idea what may have caused this, but their crews were at the site before the fire department arrived.

I will try and keep you all posted. if there are any more areas that the water pressure is below normal, please don't hesitate to post it here and I will.

thanks

Jams

Post Number: 8258
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again, Broken_main.

Enough pressure that the toilet is flushing again. Feels weird to be giving reports through this forum to the guy trying to fix the problem.

Just came back from the corner, I wouldn't think of lighting up a cigarette there with those gas fumes. The DTE guys are everywhere, checking connections, looking for bubbles in the street, checking blueprints, etc.

I'm impressed with the response, I talked to a cop about blocking off Van Dyke southbound, he called in and within 15 minutes a cruiser was there diverting traffic.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Broken_main.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5018
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Feels weird to be giving reports through this forum ...

DetroitYES has become Detroit's defacto infra-infrastructure. How cool is that?

This is like listening to a police scanner.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it! Sorry about all the problems, but it does sound a bit like listening to a scanner, with all the input about the problem and solution being posted.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jam's & Neil R. ,

I am just doing my job. I monitor and control pressures. The minute I saw the drop, I had people on it and Victor on the phone. I even have people at valve sites in the system on stand by, just in case we need someone to open the valves by hand.

Just a little note... This is the time of year that these mains often rupture. In most of the areas communities where the ground freezes and thaws, the ground has the potential to shift and cause the rupture. It is much better that it happens while our load is light than in the middle of the summer when this type of main break would affect more of the community.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is really interesting. Thanks, Jams, for the reassurance about my place. It really is a great network!

Jams

Post Number: 8265
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

m

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode by the hole in Jefferson a short time ago on my way home from downtown and I thought it was neat to see the old streetcar tracks in the cross-section of road bed on the edge of the hole!

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All praise SCADA, how'd we live without it?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In most of the areas communities where the ground freezes and thaws, the ground has the potential to shift and cause the rupture."

Most people know that this is what causes potholes, but aren't all water supply lines below the frost line (excluding fire hydrants)? This couldn't have just been a case of one of those 90 year old lines giving out?

Jams

Post Number: 8271
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

k

Jams

Post Number: 8272
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

h

Marauderkev
Username: Marauderkev

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jams...a very expensive way to clean your streets!

Broken_main

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor rick...I know you, don't I?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pix. The one of the waterfall going into Solid House is beautiful, really. The power of water...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.