Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Oak Park Drive-In Movie Lot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I am imagining things....

Was there once a Drive-In Movie Lot in Oak Park?
I seem to remember walking across Coolidge toward Greenfield....through a neighborhood, across a field to a Movie Drive-In (not far from Eight Mile).

I must have been drawn to it by "I am Curious (Yellow)", during the summer of 1968.

A pre-teen hormonal awakening...I reckon.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5976
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Side Drive-In Theater.

http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?id=79&type =1

Photos and information.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnlodge.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were there the night of the 67 riots.They said there was a curfew for Detroiters,we lived in Oak Park so we stayed.The movie was the first Billy Jack movie,I think.The helicopters were taking off from the armory next door on 8 mile.My dad said they were practicing for Viet Nam.We soon left and found out from the radio what was going on.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if that is the same drive in featured in the movie Jacktown which has scenes filmed in and around Oakpark.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar--are you sure you didn't see "the born losers" at the drive-in, that was the first movie to feature the Billy Jack character, the movie "Billy Jack" didn't come out until 1971.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be the movie.Tom,Tim someone was the lead in those.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a little kid some 53 years ago, my parents would take us to the Westside Drive-In on 8 Mile. Before we went to the theatre, I remember we would go next door to a little amusement park called "Kiddieland." It was not part of the drive-in, but a separate attraction, with motorized boats, bumper cars, a merry-go-round and the like. Does anyone else remember Kiddieland?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories....I've heard others speak of the Kiddieland amusement park; the only Kiddieland I recall was the toy store at Coolidge and 9-Mile Road (next to Sander's Ice Cream).

Oak Park was pretty cool - and a nice respite from Detroit following the '67 Riot; my family lived in Oak Park for 18 months ('67-'69)....then it was right back to the killing fields

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my parents taking me to Kiddieland amusement park, must have been 1957 or 1958. But I seem to recall it being on the Detroit side of 8 Mile, right across from Oak Park. Of course, the memories are vague.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.