Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shopping in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has been to Chicago or NYC, those cities have real shopping centres or malls near their downtown district. Does Detroit have one? Can one really go to downtown Detroit and "go shopping"? I've only been downtown for riverwalk, eating, and skating, but I can't say I've been shopping in Downtown. Fill me in please!

Username: 48202

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three words - per capita income.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wish I could recommend a good Detroit shopping area, compared to Chicago, NY, ...
It really sucks to say that to find those kind of shopping centers, you have to leave the city and hit the burbs. In Detroit proper, you have the crappy Rainbow-type stores, and the cute specific boutiques. I don't feel there's any happy medium :-(

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there is that strip in Hamtramick, and that strip of Woodward in Highland Park, and some parts of the Southwest side. Other than that Detroit sucks shopping wise and this is from a guy who hates shopping.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does not have the kind of concentrated shopping areas like, say, State St. or Michigan Ave. in Chicago, but it does exist - it is just sparser and more scattered. Unfortunately this means that figuring out what is there requires either a fair amount of investigation on your own part, or finding someone to tlak to who already knows.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also Warren ave. in Morningside and East English Village.

Otherwise, shopping does suck.

Unless you like the ghetto fabulous joints or the high-end boutiques, a Detroiter must drive into the suburbs for mid-end retail.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said time and again that the lack of contiguous retail/storefronts makes it very difficult for small businesses to succeed. Midtown has a thriving student population but no where for boutique retail. We need storefronts like Bob's classic kicks/DAM for a least a block on either side of a street. This contiguous space would likely make shop owners more confident that the area would become a destination and that their store would not have to stand alone. The best example of this is the Willis area near Avalon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.