Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Best park to hold a Picnic? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine is having a family reunion this summer in Detroit. She asked me if I could recommend a park, one in the city and one outside the city, for their family picnic. I'm not that familiar with the parks in the area so I'm asking you guys.
They would like to have the picnic on a Sunday. They'll most likely have 50 attendees.
A shelter is prefered.

Any recommendations?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The obvious choices would be Belle Isle, which is an island in the Detroit river on the city's eastside and/or Hines Drive in an adjoining western suburb. Hines Drive is a floodplain that snakes thru the western suburbs of Detroit and is easily accessed. You might want to seek reservations for your group through the City of Detroit's Parks and Recreation Department for Belle Isle and Wayne County for Hines Drive. Good luck with your gathering.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful with Hines Drive. If someone spits, they close it...due to it being a floodplain. If there is the LEAST bit of rain anywhere around your date, it will be closed in certain areas.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside the city, try the Detroit Metropark system. My favorites are Metro Beach, Stoney Creek, and Kennsington Metroparks.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside the city: Halmich Park in Warren. I know a family that used to have annual reunions there. I used to drive by everyday on the way to work. It appears very maintained. It's on 13 mile between Ryan and Dequindre, giving it good access to 696 and 75.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

belle isle or metro beach!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 884
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been partial to Lake Erie Metropark.

Sayitaintso
Username: Sayitaintso

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, I've only been to about half of the Metroparks. They're nice. Big, wide open spaces. Good for picnicing.

MetroParks:
http://www.metroparks.com/glob al/maps.php

Not to hijack the tread, but there are also some pretty nice hiking/walking trails.

Oakland County Trails & Pathways:
http://www.oakgov.com/parksrec /program_service/trails_intro. html

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all have of our little city parks that we feel are special. As much I would love to tell you to come to Harper Woods or Grosse Pointe, follow the advice of these people and go to a Metropark according to what side of metro-Detroit you plan to be on, or Belle Isle if you want to stay in the city. You'll like it a lot more than generic city park #48.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12181
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle is the ONLY choice!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.