Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid « Previous Next »
Archive through April 02, 2008Flanders_field30 04-02-08  5:37 pm
Archive through April 02, 2008Ragtoplover5930 04-02-08  9:07 pm
Archive through April 03, 2008Detroitnerd30 04-03-08  10:39 am
Archive through April 04, 2008Johnlodge30 04-04-08  1:05 pm
Archive through April 07, 2008Bigb2330 04-07-08  7:36 pm
Archive through May 03, 200814509glenfield30 05-03-08  8:01 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey this thread is really cool. Love having the good memories come back to me.

I had much fun runnin around the neighborhood with a pair of these babys strapped onto me.

Just about every Sunday after dinner, dad would break this out.

still my favorite board game. In fact I have a date to play tonight with my mom and sister.

Still, nothin got more use than that old beat up baseball glove.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 756
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was trying to find some photos that show the turn signal lights working, can't seem to locate them. I asked Mom where they bought it and she said it might have been purchased in Somerset Pennsylvania before we moved here. It seems to have been an East Coast grocery chain promotion, not in stores, but my Aunt seems to think she saw them here too. "

Classicyesfan: I had one exactly like that! I had forgotten all about it until I saw your pictures. I got it in about the mid-60's here in northern Macomb county. It was a gift from my God parents for Christmas. I think my parents have a picture of me playing with it. I will try to get it and post it. It was one of my favorite toys. Can't believe I forgot about it.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paddle Pool was fun.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6762
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a scene of some of my 1960's European and American LEGO sets set up under the Christmas tree...

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 1st box of Lego's, next to my construction equipment.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks
"We really aren't all that removed from each other, are we?"

Not at all, We all share a bond the rest of the world could only wonder about! What other city has populated the country as well as our beloved Detroit ? and the way we were raised.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield
Yes, those Kites were something else, took longer to put together then it was to tear up.

The Kites they have today look sharp in all the configurations you could dream of, and no effort at all to get airborne.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Johnny 7!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop, who is the man on the couch?

Your home looks pretty darn regular and clean. That's the way ours was. Nothing fancy (at all) but everything clean and well taken care of.

My brothers and I didn't have a care in the world (until the teen years when angst took over!). Thank the Lord that doesn't last long :-).

How old were you when you stopped playing with toys? The pic of you with the electric football. How old were you then? I was 13 or so and started hiding the fact that I still played with my Dawn and Barbie dolls.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I played Barbies until 7th or 8th grade, too. And I tried to hide it. I wonder how many closet Barbie lovers there were out there. Maybe we were all trying to hide it from each other.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha! Thanks for that, Jcole! And we could have had so much fun, for so much longer, if we would have just been able to be ourselves. Darn puberty!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ragtop, who is the man on the couch?"
Kathinozarks
The man on the couch was my Fathers Uncle on his Dads side, Dr. Robert MacArthur of Farmington Hills. He would come for Christmas along with another Uncle on Dads Mothers side, Mr. Arthur Livingston of St Clair Shores.
Uncle Art was in Advertising in Detroit. DYes Genealogy sleuths will find a strong family background on either side. ;~)
The Stock Market Crash allowed my Father to start a more Regular existence for himself and us!

"How old were you when you stopped playing with toys?"
49 lol
I still love to collect different things.
I do have a collection of Matchbox and Hot wheels cars that number over 4 thousand. although I don't need to buy every model, I do still pick up the ones I find interesting. In fact I spent $22 just today at a yard sale for just 2 little trucks, I only hope I still enjoy doing this when I get into my 70's ? When I do kick out, My kids will have their work cut out for them unloading all this stuff. lol

The football pic probably was about 13

Gistok

Post Number: 6764
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Christmas pic Ragtoplover!

That was the 1962-65 #703 LEGO Basic Set with a red 10x10 stud baseplate as the box top...

My LEGO sets/parts image database has over 1,800 pics! :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on May 03, 2008)

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, I'm ragtoplover's little sister (the cute one in the pic - lol) and I was a "closet" Barbie lover for a long time. I would buy "collectable" dolls just to still have them. Of course none of them stayed in the box :-) I still have all my childhood Barbie dolls and accessories. The late 60's house that had 2 rooms that folded out, the Country Camper, the Dune Buggie with pop-up camper, and the big pop-up tent! My favorite Ken doll had a strong resemblance to JFK. I remember eating a ton of cornflakes cereal in order to get the special "Miss America" Barbie doll. It seemed to take forever for her to arrive once I finally had enough box tops to mail in. Life was good!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Kathinozarks, I wish you would figure out how to post pics, sure like to see some of our extended family! and your toys!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Do you have a scan of the back of the box, my pic I think shows a light blue background and red and white blocks put together to show us how to make things, I am curious what it shows us to make?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any pics from Christmas's past, but I remember my favorite one when I was about 6. We always celebrated on Christmas Eve, and Dad would take us for a Nativity walk to the church, and when we got back, Santa had been. This one year, when we walked in, there were about 5 dolls, Barbies and her extended family, lined up against the couch with an entire (handmade) wardrobe for each doll. My sister in law didn't sew, but she had made the most beautiful wedding gown and no one in my family knitted, so my parents had paid the lady down the street to knit the most beautiful wardrobe, and I mean wardrobe, of sweaters that you would ever see. My mouth dropped open, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I don't think I have had a Christmas to compare to this day.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The late 60's house that had 2 rooms that folded out, the Country Camper, the Dune Buggy with pop-up camper, and the big pop-up tent!"

Not to mention the High-rise (Bookcase) Condo she stayed at sometimes.
My "Fighting Yank" doll , That I bought at Federals, never really cared for Barbie, But in true Male fashion, He would visit her just to drive her Dune Buggy!
At least until that Darn puberty! Huh Kathi :~)

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL - Fighting Yank's gun is still in the front flap of the Country Camper. You had to raise up the front flap (where the steering wheel was attached) to get Barbie in the seat. Darn those "fake" Barbies who's legs wouldn't bend! They didn't fit, so you had to take their legs off! Barbie kept the gun in the camper because, well, you never knew who lurked in the backyard "jungle" wanting to hijack the camper!

(Message edited by DtCtyGrl on May 04, 2008)

Gistok

Post Number: 6771
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover, I don't have a pic of the back of that #703 LEGO box, but I have the next best thing... the back of a #704 Sears exclusive LEGO box (canister with tin ends) made at the same time as the #703 set, and with the same LEGO parts and same pictures on the back... Enjoy!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn,t sears have there own version of"LEGO" bricks, i gotta set of them. they didn,t work with legos. my moms basement is the land of forgotten toys.

Gistok

Post Number: 6776
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 1962-72 Sears sold some LEGO sets as department store catalog exclusives (meaning you couldn't get these specific sets anywhere else).

In later years (1980's-present) Sears may have also sold other brands of bricks, such as Tyco Bricks or MegaBlocks. But these WERE compatible with LEGO.

Then there were earlier (1950's-60's) American Bricks and Lino Bricks, which were NOT compatible with LEGO.

A friend in Texas has a website with over 100 old LEGO department store ads and magazine ads from 1960's to the 1980's from around the world:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=136450

(Message edited by Gistok on May 05, 2008)

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Thanks. Lego's were sure primitive back then.

Alfie1a & Frankg both have the gun collections going, Wonder if anyone has a memory of this gun.
It wasn't mine, I bought it on eBay because it was made in Detroit. I am led to believe by the name that it shot a plane off the top, Pull the hook back and the trigger sends it back forward in a snap.

AEROMATIC
JAKEL CO. Detroit
Anybody know anything about it or the Company?

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2563
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey we all had the same type of Christmas'...gee wonder where those eastside values were molded from...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish i could post pix of toys, them sears blocks i had didn,t work with my legos, thats why i never really did any thing with them. my dad couldn,t stand the sound of my legos bring mixed up, allways got sent to my room to play with them. i try not to sweep them up in my vaccum when i clean the classrooms.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.process.vogel.de/si temap/companies/

http://www.process.vogel.de/in dex.cfm?pid=2800&pk=240276

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygrl,

My mom had better still have the Country Camper in our basement! I got it, probably the same year, as you did! I'm so excited, I keep using exclamation points! LOL at your brother talking about his Fighting Yank doll using Barbie for her dune buggy.
Ragtop, I'm afraid I don't know what you might possibly mean by the "At least until that Darn puberty! Huh Kathi :~)" comment, tee hee.
And the Exhibit A and B made me laugh. You guys must have a great relationship.

I don't have any pix at my house, mom has them all. Anyway, I have no idea what it takes to scan and post pix. I wish I could just do it, lickety split. Your pictures make me smile, so thank you for your ability to share!
Oh, and thanks for the story of who the man on the couch is. And, your home was lovely, not regular. :-)

I still play with toys sometimes. Who doesn't?

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,
Makes me want to leave work early and go home to get all my Barbie stuff out! Need to get them out to take some pics to post on here, right? :-)

"And the Exhibit A and B made me laugh. You guys must have a great relationship."

Ragtoplover is a great big brother. He never let his friends pick on me when we were younger - that was a privilege reserved for himself alone. lol Somewhere he has a pic of me with my beloved "Movin' Groovin' Chrissy" doll. Exhibit C - big brother?

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents both grew up around Seven Mile and Outer Drive, and my dad used to shoot my mom in the face with a pea shooter. I, on the other hand, played with my Big Bird record player, Cabbage Patch Dolls, and chewed on Troll dolls.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hacky Sac
Wiffle ball and bat
Davy Crockett coonskin hat

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.