Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Reverend David Murray can't take care of his kids, but DET elected him to take care of theirs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children taken from DPS board member
Allegations of abuse, neglect prompt state to seek custody of 4 teens, 12-year-old and girl, 2.
Karen Bouffard / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- A city school board member has lost custody of four of his children amid allegations of abuse and neglect.

Four children were removed from Reverend David Murray's home on March 20 and placed with relatives, following an investigation by state Children's Protective Services. The state also seeks custody of two teens who Murray says currently aren't living with him.

The agency was tipped off by Murray's wife, Tanisha Murray, who said she filed abuse and neglect complaints with the state on Feb. 28.

Advertisement

"The house we were in was not fit for no children to stay in," Tanisha Murray, 35, told The Detroit News. She said she abandoned the family's home on Oak Drive, near Seven Mile and Livernois, after the children were removed.

"The house was deplorable, it was dirty, there's a hole in the ceiling in the living room, there's broken windows, there's a hole in the basement ceiling from water leaking in the kitchen."

Murray, 55, pastor of First Holy Temple Church of God in Christ and a licensed social worker, said he wouldn't discuss the case.

"A couple of the children are emotionally impaired and I don't want to embarrass them. I can't discuss anything pertaining to the children," he said.

Murray's attorney, Cliff Woodards, refused to comment. Two school board members confirmed that Woodards represents the school board on expulsion cases, but he declined to discuss his financial arrangement with Murray.

Wayne County Juvenile Court Referee Leslie Graves determined at a hearing Monday there is enough evidence against Murray to proceed to trial, and he's awaiting a preliminary hearing on April 18 before Judge Mark Slavens to determine whether the children will be made temporary wards of the state. Workers would have to decide whether Murray is making improvements in his living conditions. If not, the state could move to terminate his parental rights.

State child protection workers filed a petition with the Wayne County Juvenile Court on Monday asking that six of Murray's children be made temporary wards of the state: a 2-year-old girl, boys ages 12, 13 and 16, and two 15-year-old boys. The girl is the child of Tanisha and Reverend David Murray and the 13-year-old boy is Tanisha's child from a previous relationship. The other four boys were adopted through the state foster care system.

Murray told child protection workers that one of the 15-year-olds is in a psychiatric facility, but he does not know the name of the facility, according to the petition. He also said that he doesn't know the whereabouts of the other 15-year-old, and has filed with police to have him apprehended.

Food deprivation alleged
Murray, who legally changed his first name to Reverend, is one of 11 members on the school board that provides oversight for the operations in the 105,000-student school district.

Tanisha Murray, a homemaker, said her husband deprived the family of food even though he received about $2,000 per month in state adoption subsidies. He earned $30 per school board meeting, according to school district officials. She said her husband's only other employment is as pastor of his church, which she said has approximately 10 members and does not meet regularly.

"The only thing I can recall him spending money on (for the family to eat) was some kind of hot dogs with bread, pizza, coney island," Tanisha Murray said. "Some of that stuff was hidden in his van.

"When the kids would get up for school we wouldn't have any cereal or anything to eat, so they'd eat at school. Sometimes he'd get out the Frosted Flakes (from his van) after school, and if he didn't do that he would give them $2 to get snacks at the gas station."

A history of complaints
Reverend David Murray's history with Children's Protective Services dates to 1996 and includes one substantiated complaint of abuse or neglect. The most recent complaint, filed Feb. 28, alleges domestic violence, insufficient food in the home and problems with cleanliness. The petition also says Tanisha Murray is being treated for bipolar disorder.

One state worker who visited the home on Feb. 28 wrote: "The home was observed to be very dirty, with a foul odor. Broken windows were observed throughout the home and a large hole was observed in the living room ceiling."

According to the state's petition, Murray denied living at the home during that worker's visit, and said he actually lives in a house on San Juan. Tanisha Murray told The News that she and her husband both had been living on Oak Drive.

During that visit, the 12-year-old boy told the child protection worker that he slept on the floor near a broken window in the living room and did not have enough food to eat. Another boy, interviewed at his school, told workers that all of the children lived at the Oak Drive address and that the electricity had been turned off at the San Juan house. The boy also told the worker he had to buy his own school uniform, that he and his siblings never have enough food and that there was spoiled food in the kitchen.

A neighbor on Oak Street said about 10 people live in the large brick Tudor-style home, where a black tarp appeared to be covering a hole in the roof Tuesday and several windows were covered with cardboard or with taped cracks.

A foul smell came from two Dumpsters on the front porch.

"As many people as live over there, I always thought it should have looked better," said Toya Baker, 36, who lives across the street. "It's so many teenage boys, I always thought they had foster kids."

Darryl Jefferson, the father of the 13-year-old boy who was removed, said he has been aware of problems at the home for some time, and has been trying to get full custody of his son. He was reluctant to discuss specific details.

"I'm just trying to get my son full custody," Jefferson said. "He's got a mom that's bipolar and she married this man. This is stuff that should have been taken care of before."

2nd term on school board
Murray is serving his second term on the Detroit school board, where he is an at-large member. He was first elected in 1998, just a few months before the state takeover in 1999. His current term began in January 2006.

James McCurtis, spokesman for the state Department of Community Health, said Murray's social work license is current through April 30, 2009.

His license was suspended for disciplinary reasons in 1990. Details on that suspension were not immediately available.

McCurtis said a finding of child abuse or neglect would be considered possible grounds for suspension of a social worker's license.

"It would be considered, absolutely -- it all depends on the details of the case and the outcome," McCurtis said. "Like any other action, there has to be a hearing and due process."

Detroit school board President Carla Scott said she was unaware of the situation with Murray's children and would not comment. She said if the allegations are found to be true, she will have to consult with the district's attorneys for advice on how to proceed.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Murray is closely linked to Malik Shabazz who is a close connection of the Mayor. Shabazz has his Black Panthers propping up some of the pro-mayoral rallies.

Yeah that scumbag Murray is found out. But what about our Mayor - what does it say when people like this are his supporters?

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voters in Detroit need their butts whooped for voting for a man who legally changed his name to Reverend so it could be put on the ballot.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap.
He adopted all those kids, and his only income is the adoption subsidy and $30 per school board meeting? He's pastor of a "church" with only 10 members? And he gets elected to the school board because his first name is "Reverend?"

Only in Detroit.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You haven't seen his public access how? he makes the kids "perform". The camera is set on him and they zoom out when the "choir" performs (his kids)

He spoke at my sister's high school graduation as a school board rep and spoke about how people called him "slow" all of his life but that he has obtained over 3 masters (I am pretty sure he said that) - those folks hooted and hollered...they ate it up.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(sorry Lowell for posting the full article)

Username: 7051

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He lives in my neighborhood. HE IS A LOSER!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7261
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Christian who become a back slider.

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no words. Un-friggin-believable.

How could this happen?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep votin' em in Detroit...My main question isn't how he got elected...it's how the state didn't take the kids away?! How they allowed him to adopt children...

Wow...simply...wow

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ridiculous. Detroit's leaders are baffoons, and it is the fault of the voters. Only in Detroit. These actions by all of these leaders would NOT be tolerated anywhere else, and before long there wont be any Detroiters left for these assholes to govern

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’ve met Murray several times. He’s an idiot. Michigan’s adoption agencies must be staffed by morons to let him adopt anything. As far as I’m concerned he couldn’t get a pet from an animal shelter. Oh, and while I’m at it, Malik Shabazz is nothing more than an opportunistic con artist (dumb me, is there any other kind) playing the radical so he can appeal to the ignorance of the lowest common element of the city’s residents to get paid. I’m a life-long very, very embarrassed Detroiter. So I can say these things without fear of being labeled anything except sick and tired of the folks who have risen to prominence in my city.

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sad. I feel sorry for the kids. As a mother, why did Tanisha Murray let her kids suffer. Was she not capable of getting a job to make sure her kids are nourished? Was she not capable of seeking assistance from community programs? True Detroit leadership!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tanisha Murray has Bi-Polar Disorder. It's not an excuse but I am sure she has been hindered by that. If he were treating the kids like that, I would not be shocked if she was abused by him. She is the one who called CPS on him so at least she did something. I am amazed that he doesn't know the name of the facility that his son is in and he doesn't know where another kid is...I'm sure he kept getting those state checks for those kids.

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Reverend got elected because of name recognition. He ran for EVERYTHING for years, putting his name on every city council or school board ballot he could. He also showed up at absolutely every major community meeting possible. He never said much, but he was always there. Name recognition and visibility did it. With 20 other names on the ballot, I am sure a lot of people just said, well, I recognize that name, and pulled the lever.

Anyways, he has never struck me as intelligent, engaged, compassionate, or together. I wish this article surprised me.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My (also bi-polar) next door neighbor, who is active with Malik Shabazz (pretty strange because she is an elderly white widow)had a sign for Murray when he was running for school board and she was a poll volunteer for him.

Shabazz carts her all around to things like that.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's her excuse, what's the excuse for all the others that voted for the loser?
He'll probably get re-elected if he runs again.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw him interviewed on Channel 7. Seriously, it sounds like he is slightly retarded or at least developmentally challenged. How the hell does someone like this get foster kids and get elected to public office? Unbelievable.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11455
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Voters in Detroit need their butts whooped for voting for a man who legally changed his name to Reverend so it could be put on the ballot.

The best way yo help vote the idiots out is to move to the city so you can vote for better candidates.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this guy is retarded, what does that say about the voters?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11456
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If this guy is retarded, what does that say about the voters?

Because someone said he sounds retarded? If you blindly believe everything you read on a message board what does that say about you.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
LOL

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the video on the TV news and Mr. Murray seems to be stunned and confused. Who knows what he's going through personally but he's certainly in no shape to be in charge of any dependents let alone the welfare of those attending public school.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't seem to have a monopoly on loser politicians(oxymoron or redundant noun?), just look to the Feds and Michigan's leaders. Detroit's politicos just seem to score an E minus instead of a D like the rest of 'em.

Anyone who looks to politicians for leadership should be deemed insane or desperate 95% of the time.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4925
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit's leaders are baffoons, and it is the fault of the voters"
That's been true for decades, with the exception of a mayor we had for 8 years in the 1990's.
But look at the criminally incompetent gang in the White House, and you realize that the voters in Detroit who elect buffoons like this one, or the Kilpatricks, are not really any stupider than the voters in the rest of the country who voted for Bush/Cheney or Saxby Chambliss or Larry Craig, or Tom DeLay, or Trent Lott or Ronald Ray-Gun.
The national buffoons seem to be better at stealing elections than the local ones, however.

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Barnes, I agree.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit it seems as though the only qualification
required to be a community leader and/or an elected official is to have "Bishop","Pastor" or "Reverend" in your name.

Stingbeelee
Username: Stingbeelee

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have known David Murray and his family for a long time. It's true that his name has been on the ballot for quite a number of years, and coupled with him attending meetings and the like, his name recognition, along with seeing him on TV was one of the factors of him being voted in.
David and his family have been volunteering in the City of Detroit for a number of years, especially in the recreation department. At Tindal Recreation Center (now closed) whenever we needed volunteers for something, they would ALWAYS come and help. Even if they had to walk to Tindal, they would be there. Over the years, they also have run a table-tennis program to teach the kids the fundamentals of sports. With the kids in the center, they have the patience of Job (and I am not exaggerating). They frequently ride the bus to volunteer. I have never heard a curse word from any of them, EVER.
Whenever I've seen David and his kids, they were very polite, although very quiet. They also seemed to be well nourished, although looks can be deceiving. I am not condoning him, if all this is true, I just wanted to give the posters a view of what I have seen.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I catch him on WHPr once in a while. very entertaining and uplifting program. cat can really jam that casio keyboard. what the?

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 784
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1...you are correct...when I did live in teh city - I didn't vote on name recognition.

But now that I won't even live in the state, I can only inform those left behind

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have known David Murray and his family for a long time.

So then you know he officially changed his name from David to Reverend, right? Does he mind you referring to him by his middle name?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The house was deplorable, it was dirty, there's a hole in the ceiling in the living room, there's broken windows, there's a hole in the basement ceiling from water leaking in the kitchen...
Tanisha Murray, a homemaker..."

Am I missing something or, despite bi-polar disease, which many folks have, shouldn't a full-time homemaker be able to do something about the dirt other than report her husband to CPS? Okay, maybe she can't fix the roof by herself but what was she doing all day when she was "making" house?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.