Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Hopeful muscle around Detroit' - Chicago Sun-Times « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago travel writer Dave Hoekstra spread the word Sunday that "the engine that drives Detroit is more culturally diverse than you would think."

He hit the MOCAD, Damon's Record Center, a Wings game, the Hamtown Blowout, Dearborn, MGM Grand and even the American Axle picket line.

Article is here: http://www.suntimes.com/lifest yles/hoekstra/867818,TRA-News- Detours30.article

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article. It confirms what I see on the ground which is that the new Detroit will not look like the past. My hope is that we can use the whole mayoral mess to quit doing business as usual and start looking ahead to the future.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Gertrude,, the article is very well written, says things most of us believers always feel about our city..... I also agree about the mayoral mess,, this whole craziness has the potential of putting us on the right track after we sort out all the crap thats been caked on for decades.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the author enjoyed his stay and recognized the good here. Pretty meandering story, though.

Anyone here hit MOCAD's GOLD fundraiser Saturday night? I got there late, paid the full $15 admission and saw I think four songs performed live by three different MCs before things started winding down. But the hip-hop was fantastic, really some sweet jams. Anyone know who it was?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.