Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Etymology Of "wrapped around the axle" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4956
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this phrase originate in Detroit or not?

I believe the phrase describes someone who is too intent on being productive and so as a result becomes counterproductive.

I first heard this phrase in Phoenix and because of the "axle" reference wondered whether it may have originated here in Detroit.

Are there any recollections of this phrase being used in Detroit? Context appreciated.

Urban Dictionary's best try

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience that's not a common phrase around here.
It sounds more southern or from the central plains.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4959
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lilpup. :-)

Even if this thread goes nowhere it will be a help.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12063
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard it before, but it conjures up an image of someone getting their tie caught in a spinning axle...I remember my father sharing some of the comic artwork from the Fisher Body plant line workers derogatory to the Foremen who were required to wear ties to show their management over the workers.

They usually grew from the ranks of the laborers, and when they got their promotion to tie-wearing they were deemed less able to handle the work...even dangerous to have around the machinery. (and of course, dangerous to have around, since everyone was forced to actually work, they became management snitches)

The image in my noggin MUST be from the Fleetwood tour from my early days...but I distinctly have some comic sketch of someone having their tie stuck in some machine.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used it with many added expletives when I was checking boxcars at night in the River Rouge railyard in my car, long ago.

My muffler/exhaust pipe got wrapped around the axle, when I drove over and snagged a raised manhole cover in the middle of a gravel roadway between the tracks.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isadora Duncan?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, gross! From Wikipedia's Isadora Duncan:
quote:

As The New York Times noted in its obituary of the dancer on 15 September 1927, "The automobile was going at full speed when the scarf of strong silk began winding around the wheel and with terrific force dragged Miss Duncan, around whom it was securely wrapped, bodily over the side of the car, precipitating her with violence against the cobblestone street. She was dragged for several yards before the chauffeur halted, attracted by her cries in the street. Medical aid was summoned, but it was stated that she had been strangled and killed instantly."

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard this used, either, but it is a very evocative metaphor. From the Google hits, it is a fairly recent usage.

From urbandictionary.com:

. wrapped around the axle
13 up, 6 down
To be confused by something, to the point of paralysis. Imagine driving a car over a wire fence. The fence becomes wrapped around the axle, stopping the car.

This network problem has got me wrapped around the axle.

tags confused frustrated paralyzed paralysis by analysis fubar

by MarkfromIL Illinois Mar 31, 2006
2. wrapped around the axle
7 up, 2 down

To be extremey or overly upset.

"Jordan is wrapped around the axle because he has to sit on the bench during the game."

tags bothered annoyed mad anxious ticked off
by MIL WI Feb 27, 2006

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if this thread goes nowhere it will be a help.
Hear, hear -- it already is.

We don't discuss etymology here often enough.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Axel Rose took his name after detroit as well.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear a little Detroit and a little Pasadena in the name of GNR's lead singer.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it was in honor of Darwin Award winner James Burns of Alamo, MI?

http://darwinawards.com/darwin /darwin1995-02.html

Jimaz

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Okay. It seems "wrapped around the axle" didn't originate in Detroit.

So let me derail this otherwise expired thread with this gem from a caller heard recently on AAR:
quote:

Excuse me for being the perfume in your fartfest, but <insert opinion here>.

Is that one new or has anyone heard it before? If so, where?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.