Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » When did the Canadian Club script come down? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its been down for a few years but when exactly did they take it down and why? I remember it being cool the way the lighted letters would "write out" the name.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. I used to love that as a kid. I had no idea what it even was. I think I thought it was a factory or a dance club. Now that I actually like Canadian Club, I can't enjoy the light show! aawww...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is forever. Live with it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5875
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A HARD dose of reality from Ray!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the big red GENERAL MOTORS letters on top of the building on the Boulevard. I also miss the HUDSONS signs around the top of the tower, the VERNOR'S GNOME all lit up, and, finally, the beautiful STONE BURLESK neon sign that used to be on Woodward near I-75. Ah, nostalgia.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not being facetious. I really do miss these signs. I wish I had photos of them.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we buy the Broderick and place all the old signs everyone loves all over it... like a mini times square lol.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add to the list the WDET sign on the Maccabees and the Stroh's sign on the old brewery.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6598
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CC Sign was structurally unsound, hence it came down. It was actually the second CC sign.

There are photos of both here:

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=23

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 951
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the art deco WWJ sign.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a wee lad, one of my favorite things about heading downtown was the neon blue & yellow flame flickering over "the gas building."

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing that flame over the gas building when I was a kid, too. Didn't they have a restaurant up there called The Top Of The Flame?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriv, I believe that is correct, yes.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But they can't ever take down the "world's best ROACH KILLER" sign off of the building on Grand River.

That would just be wrong.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW knows his Windsor history...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4113
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But where was the big GE logo?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GE logo was near the Lodge and I-94 interchange.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the nazi's that run MADD made them take it down.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year did the ginormous Dodge Firepower sign come down?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a giant Indian Head on top of a bank on Jefferson going into Grosse Pte? I think it was Manufacturer's Bank. I was so scared of that thing that I used to hide behind the seat of the car til we were past it.

Flyingj

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole-Standard Federal is what you're thinking of-they were taken over by LaSalle Bank...which is ironic since that's what the French did to the Indians anyway...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L aSalle_Bank_Midwest

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the AC sparkplug sign over by the fairgrounds or the color changing phone by the Lodge. There was a significance to the color of the phone in relation to the weather. Correct me if wrong but didn't blue mean colder, red hotter, yellow rain?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a_d, here is the rhyme associated with citizen bank's weatherball, as told to me:

when the weatherball is red, warmer temperature's ahead.
when the weatherball is blue, colder temperature is due.
when yellow is the weatherball, there will be no change at all.
when the ball blinks in agitation, there will be precipitation.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Top of the Flame was the restaurant located on the 26th floor of the "gas building". Served good food. Unfortunately, too many who worked in the building, (including my boss), spent their lunch hours and breaks at the bar. I remember getting a call from another employee suggesting that I come up and get my boss, who had just fallen off a bar stool. Not long after that it was "suggested" by management that he enter rehab. After the "Top" closed it became more office space for the company I worked for. It seemed funny to have the executive offices located on 25 and general offices on 26. The offices on 25 were super nice...the CEO office had a fireplace and a big bux oriental rug on the floor. There was a tiny office for his valet/driver. Many of the exec offices had full baths with tubs and showers. I believe the flame that others have mentioned was gone before I started working there in 1971.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the Fisk Tire sign?
I think it was off of Michigan Ave.
Time to "re-tire."

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl-- Growing up in Flint, I remember wallet calendars with the Weatherball Poem printed on them in the mid-'80s.

Jcole

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flying,
Thanks for the info on Standard Federal. I'll probably start having nightmares about that damned indian head jumping down off the building and chasing me up Jefferson again, though.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole--I honestly don't remember if Standard Federal had an Indian head or not (I thought their presence locally was mostly a result of buying Michigan National...but I could be wrong)--the Indian head was definitely the logo for Detroit Bank & Trust prior to changing it's name to Comerica (and ultimately, merging with Manufacturers). If you go to the old DB&T headquarters on Fort (there's still a Comerica branch there)--you can see a sculpture called "Variation on Logo" which is a modernist "impression" of the Indian head logo--I believe there's a plaque there to tell the tale.

It was also interesting reading about the old MichCon executive suites. I know it's been discussed here before, but the old Manufacturers Bank executive suites in the RenCen were completely mothballed following the Comerica merger--and now serve, with relatively few modifications, as the GM exec suites.

Flyingj

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fastcarsfreedom, I had my doubts near immediately after my posting...I see you are right(not the SCARY logo from the 60's/70's) http://www.todocoleccion.net/e nglish/matchbook-cover-usa-mic higan-the-detroit-bank-and-tru st-co-oldest-bank-in-michigan~ eng6104224

Jcole

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for letting me know about the correction.
Hey, it probably wasn't scary to anyone but me, but it ranked right up there with the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz in my eyes.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the Top of the Flame closed! That was a good restaurant!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.