Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Olympics in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this YouTube video was really cool and wanted to share it with you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ull 2HdEC-Ts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q0d 1rfBC0Lw

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've watched these films a 100x and still get goosebumps. That nostalgia my parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles instilled in me is vivid and real. We hope for better days, for they shall rise from the ashes.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...I don't know what to say. 2 mill ppl, its looks so vibrant.

Wow, we really have squandered out water as a resource for growth. We should be what Chicago is today.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Used to be quite a place, eh?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen this video at least 99 times.

And as the great Bill Parr, of the Incredibles, once said, "it's great to relive the Glory Days"!

<313>

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times are you people going to post those videos?

Postbop

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ull 2HdEC-Ts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q0d 1rfBC0Lw

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the glory days. When the seeds of Detroit's future problems were planted. When express ways which promised convenience and mobility turned into crumbling infrastructure saddling future generations with huge maintenance costs and solidified the car as the preferred mode of transportation and the demise of the street car. The glory days when "urban renewal projects" cleared densely populated neighborhoods which were rebuilt with sparsely populated projects and suburban style developments. The glory days when racial tensions bubbled under the surface instead of on the front page of the news paper. Ah yes, the glory days.

I don't know how any one can watch this without screaming at the video that the "city on the move" is moving in the wrong direction. Detroit didn't get to where it is today in a day or even a decade. Its problems started long ago, in its "glory days".

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 832
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least there were people in the neighborhoods who gave a crap and you could walk down the streets without fear of your life being taken away.
What do we have today? Certainly not the wonder years. Well maybe.. like wonder where the cops are?
Wonder when the lights will come back on?
Wonder if the schools will ever graduate 50% or more of the students?
Wonder where all my neighbors moved to?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 571
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How many times are you people going to post those videos?

Probably as many times as you uselessly post complaining about other people's posts.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably as many times as you uselessly post complaining about other people's posts."

If it's a dumb post, I'm going to let you know about it, like yours.

I'm only helping others out in doing so. They have to learn from their mistakes.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6259
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was unimaginable that two yrs. after this video, Detroit would erupt in the worse riot rebellion ever in July, 1967. Amazing times.

jjaba.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand how there could be race riots only 2 years later. According to the video, the only black people in the city back then were playing for the Pistons.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sick of people posting this Video!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine if the Olympics had actually been given to Detroit in '68...

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess what - some people have never seen it. Everyone doesn't see the same thing at once

Postbop

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sarcastically feel really dumb now, but I have learned from my mistakes and seek to atone for them. I will only post things after having meticulously scoured the forum for previous posts. Sorry to have waisted 30 of your superior seconds.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know where in detroit the olympic stadium would have been built?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401 - look again. Blacks in the crowd sequences, and I believe in the exterior shots around the school.

Point taken, though - a dramatically whiter Detroit, especially by the standard of current demographics.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

olympia was at grand river and mcgraw

Jjaba

Post Number: 6267
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Olympia has nuthin' to do with The Olympics of 1968.

Postbop, jjaba enjoyed both videos. Don't let the bastards get you down. Never be defensive on The Forum. They will eat you alive.

Thanks for this thread.

Yes, Detroit seemed very white back then. Even jjaba passed for white too, but who's keeping score?

jjaba.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rephrase: Does anyone know where Olympic Stadium of Detroit would have been built if we were awarded the Olympic Games of 1968?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6268
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, the Olympic Brennan Pools in Rouge Park were built to Olympic specs. That was way before the 1968 proposals. Detroit made bids for many Olympics, maybe six of them.
Welcome to The Forum.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.