Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With opening day nearing it reminded me that the old stadium is still there rotting away. What's latest with the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy and their plan to save part of the stadium?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big ideas, no money.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say it:

"TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN"

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the movie Tiger Town, the dad tells his son "Tiger Stadium will be here forever". I think he was right.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6245
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has fond memories of taking his girlfriends to the far reaches of the back of Sec. 24 early in Spring, skipping the afternoon at Cass Tech. HS.

There's an associated story if interested. Just ask.

jjaba, Tigers fan just back from Spring Training..

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good look at the ol' girl today.
And I've never seen her look worse.

Garbage strewn all over creation.
Signs more tattered and torn than ever.

Mike Ilitch might not give a funk anymore, but Jeff Wattrick and Co. certainly do. He and the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy are doing all they can to make the best of a bad situation.

If any out-of-town fans or media wander by the old ballpark at all tomorrow, they'll be appalled. (That is, unless Ilitch or the city sanctions a last-minute cleanup. Of course, even then it'll still be appalling.)

I had the time and energy on my hands and felt like picking up the trash and sprucing up the ballpark, but then I thought, screw that. Not the night before Opening Day. Let Ilitch pay for it.

Oh, right ... he doesn't "own" it.

Well, the little caesar can have his Opening Day at Comerica Park tomorrow. But that arcade's got about as much to do with baseball as the WWE has to do with wrestling.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!

Nemoman
Username: Nemoman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will always remember it as Brigg's Field - just as I remember every lawnmower engine I reluctantly started as a kid. But I digress. I do remember days floating on a lake, catching bluegills (it takes 20 for a meal) drinking cold beer, while the bourbon-soaked voice of Ernie Harwell narrated another tragic defeat. Al Kaline sparkling, as Joe Sparma walked six batters in a row. You cannot tear down a legasy. You should not have built a new stadium. You already tore down JL Hudson,

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4942
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,
quote:

There's an associated story if interested. Just ask.

I'm asking. :-)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You cannot tear down a legasy. You should not have built a new stadium."

That's right... let it rot on the corner... that's a better plan. I say we screw potential tax revenue and a more appealing project on that location. I think the old chipping paint and rusty lights etc will be a catalyst for development in SE Michigan.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In honor of jjaba, one link for each letter:
o n t h e b a l l s

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes - just if we could save Tiger Stadium, everything in Detroit would be "magically" fixed...

Wake Up...having buildings like Hudson's, Tiger Stadium, & the Train Station are symptoms - not the cause of Detroit's problems... If Detroit's economy was running full-throttle...then the possibility of these old buildings being save/re-furbished would be greater, but because Detroit has not had a real base for its own economy for over 30 years...we will have crumbling landmarks, crumbling infrastructure, crumbling neighborhoods....
If people on this forum and groups like the Tiger Stadium group or Friends of Belle Isle would step back...work together...and really focus on the important issues...MAYBE - JUST MAYBE Detroit could start improving. But these groups focus are lead by people who are focusing on specific feel-good memories --- NOT REAL ISSUES that need to be addressed.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mike Ilitch might not give a funk anymore, but Jeff Wattrick and Co. certainly do. He and the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy are doing all they can to make the best of a bad situation.

I googled to see if the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy has a web site, in hopes of getting an email address for Mr. Wattrick. I figured I would let him know about DY and encourage him to register and keep us all informed on the old ballyard's status. Alas, the web site is under construction.
http://www.oldtigerstadiumcons ervancy.org/

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Wattrick is well aware of this site, I assure you.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder whatever became of Mr. Wattrick.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's not leave any reminders of when Detroit meant something besides a place of crime, crummy schools and wrecked neighborhoods.
Throw more money downtown and let the rest of the city rot.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If people on this forum and groups like the Tiger Stadium group or Friends of Belle Isle would step back...work together...and really focus on the important issues...MAYBE - JUST MAYBE Detroit could start improving.

Does the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy have a key to the ballpark? It must be difficult to raise funds for any effort when you are not allowed to access the site of your project.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6249
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 48202 for jjaba 2901. That's it, as recorded Dec. 19, 2005.

Those were lovely days in Briggs Stadium.

Happy opening day, wrong park, wrong address, same good team.

When jjaba was in Lakeland, Fla. last week, Magglio Ordonez was honored at the start of the game for giving $100,000 cash to a scholarship fund for students in SW Detroit. Good guy!

jjaba.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul you state, "Yeah, let's not leave any reminders of when Detroit meant something...."

So let's just turn Detroit into a giant museum and not try to fix the crummy schools & neighborhoods...That is a great plan!

Let's face it...we need to set the priorities correctly and fix the current problems AND realize that we do risk losing more landmarks - but again what good is a bunch of restored landmarks if the city is dead....if you want memories...move some artifacts to Henry Ford & Greenfield Village....

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going down to see the Tigers during this homestand, check this out ...

For those who missed the opportunity to buy unique memorabilia items from Tiger Stadium last fall, you’re in luck. The Detroit Historical Society has an assortment of authentic items mined from the legendary ballpark at Michigan and Trumbull and is making them available for sale at the Detroit Historical Museum Store starting Wednesday, April 2.

Tiger fans who bring in a ticket stub from any game at Comerica Park this season will receive 50 percent off their total purchase of Tiger Stadium items at the Museum Store while supplies last. Specific merchandise available for sale includes seat backs, stadium bricks, vendor uniform shirts and jackets, Ernie Harwell cassettes, programs, baseball card sets and other Tiger Stadium souvenir items.

Check out their website for hours www.detroithistorical.org
or call the Store at (313) 833-7911.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.