Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old School Photo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone identify this old school photo?

Old School Photo 1

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this one goes with it, but they were found together:

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pershing High.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem. I thought the ball player had a De La Salle uniform.

Mikem

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm shooting from the hip. Reminds me of Pershing, but it's just a guess. It's not DLS; they must be the visiting team.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verified, it is Denby.look at the center windows.Pershing is on the bottom.

(Message edited by whittier70 on March 29, 2008)

Mikem

Post Number: 3606
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't. Like I said, it's just a guess. It probably is Denby.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier70 did they ever verse DLS in baseball?

Whittier70

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure on that one

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DLS didn't have a home baseball field, so they might have used Denby's at that time. It might have moved around, like a floating crap game, depending on availability. (I can't remember what field was used when I went there.) Bishop Gallagher used Denby's track, as bad as it was, as home track when I was there. Gotta love the cinders.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense to me, Hornwrecker. Having been a soccer coch for many years we did this all the time. Thanks.

Whittier70

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was the name of the asian art teacher at Denby in the 80's?

(Message edited by whittier70 on March 30, 2008)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Saigon?

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flag is at half mast, I wonder what year it was. Couldn't be for Kennedy, the trees all of leaves on them.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RFK... Maybe. JFK in late November. No way.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is the photos were taken in the mid-forty’s. The second photo shows construction to the rear of the building by the ball field. The flag is indeed at half mast, maybe Pearl Harbor?

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely Denby. I lived across Kelly from the school. Not sure when they added the gym and pool area.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady how long did you live at that location? My dentist, Dr. Adam was on the corner near Morang.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only lived there a couple of years...from 1980-1983. It was the first house on Cedargrove on th left side after you crossed Kelly. Then moved back to my original birth home on Wayburn north of Morang. Dr. Adam doesn't ring a bell.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pool area...My introduction to Denby HS was the swimming pool! Every Thursday night during the school year from 1967 to 1971 or thereabouts was Girl Scout swimming. Went through Beginners, Advanced Beginners, and Intermediate swim classes there under the guidance of Mrs. Shirley(?) Klug.

A few years later, I had Driver's Education classes there with Mr. Majewski or Majeski. The onsite driving course was terrific. My parallel parking skills are a tribute to those classes!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took Drivers-Ed at Denby. They must have done something right. No tickets/no accidents in 39 years.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stirring the Kool aid...I think its Mackenzie High.

The rear angle shot looks like the view from Hammerburg Field.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu,
It does look like Mackenzie. I practiced at Hammerburg for years. Yep I am almost positive of the second picture with the construction.

Whittier70

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100% not Mackenzie, its Denby. check it out.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

denby...that guy in the hat was jjaba..sent to spy on the construction..to take back to the westside...yes I believe, there were exhibition games in the early days w/Catholic Schools...Track meets for sure...the only-thing about the second picture is the elevation of the basketball courts on the track side of the building...but they could of excavated them later

there was a creek that used to run near there...

Whittier70

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a creek near Denby?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we all agree that the first photo is Denby High School, and the second photo is Mackenzie? I never heard of a creek under Denby. Is that an urban legend, like "Knock-Knock Road"?

Cub

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still believe the second pic is Mackenzie. Yes Bullet.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you might be on to something Cub, so I had a look at some of my archived photos taken a year or so ago. Take a look:

Mackenzie

I know it's hard to tell in this photo, but the chimney has flat, regular surfaces, like a hexagon or octagon. I don’t think the second photo depicts that feature, although the power house looks similar.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a creek running up Britain..I believe it ran where the park was/is...and went below ground...strange and in the deep recess of my mind ...there was a stream/creek...in a neighbors yard until the sixties..just a small remnant...until the buried it deep into the street....Johnson's yard? corner Britain and Wayburn

Cub

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aaaaahhh! I see what your saying Bullet.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the fact that the Mackenzie stack also has a flair at the top rules it out for good.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran...wadda ya talking 'bout?

Cub

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. saw Denby up close yesterday and you are right.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_warrior & Cub....I've always said that Denby is the east side's Mackenzie; some folks might say that title belongs to Pershing.

Easy to see how the photo in question could be mistaken for Mackenzie; a similar construction project added a swimming pool to Mackenzie during the 1940s...and the view from Hammerberg would be just about right.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt Denby, note the "Tars" anchor out in front. I want to say the art teachers name was Mr. Chi. I think he was there in the mid 70's.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering...does anyone have pictures of the old Commerce High School when it was attached by a bridge to Cass Tech?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long ago was this, Leoqueen? I didn't know there was a bridge at Cass Tech.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6293
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ofcourse, The Detroit High School of Commerce was connected on the second floor to Cass Tech. High Schhol, over W. Vernor Street. Some evidence of it can be seen on the old Cass Tech. bldg.

The High School of Commerce was taken down when the Fisher Expressway went in. jjaba realizes it is hard to imagine Detroit before expressways but some on The Forum remember.

As for the photos, not Mackenzie. Mackenzie is much more ornate. Yes, jjaba learned to drive on the Mackenzie lot and he can parallel park like none other, except Kathleen. We both laugh when we see drivers who have to find 3 spots to pull in forward.

Gibran, let it be known that jjaba has not been within 20 miles of Denby High, lifetime. Post 2252 needs some editing. jjaba, LOL.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Class of '59.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started Cass Tech in 1969, just when the ditch that turned into Fisher Fwy was being excavated. I caught the Fenkell bus to school and was let off across the street from Cass. My Mom attended Commerce in the mid 1930's and talked about that bridge, but I never saw it myself; the building was torn down before I started going down there. I sure would like to see more pictures! When I find some I will post.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting your thoughts and memories Leoqueen and Jjaba. Only true Detroiters call the expressway (or freeway, if you prefer) the "Ditch". We did on the east side, as I 94 was our "Ditch". It was rumored that the great majority of the labourers who hand dug this road, were in fact west side inmates taken from Dehoco.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6299
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, DEHOCO took Eastsiders too. Evidence, a huge drunk tank in one of the bldgs.
The 4 guys from the Westside sure didn't need a huge place like that.

The most famous Ditch is Davison Ditch, 1942. It opened about the same time as Arroyo Seco, AKA Pasadena Freeway.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.