Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit's Future is the Water « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People need water to survive, and we have it! Eventually (and its starting to look like sooner rather than later) the southern and western parts of this country are going to become inhabitable. I predict that water will drive people back to Detroit. It's what brought them here in the first place, after all. Any thoughts?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I concur, based on seeing the southwest first hand, and its lack of this resource. And to a lesser extent, The southern states as well.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you where going to say that the future of Detroit is the Detroit River, as in people are going to want to live near it :-)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WE" is a big group. There are several states (and another country) sitting on the Great Lakes, and I'm sure they are all thinking the same thing as us (water = $$) - question is who starts pumping/diverting first?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water is a renewable commodity and imbalances between supply and demand are locally solved through the pricing mechanism. As the cost goes up, people will either find new and ingenious ways to reuse their limited supply or they will vote with their feet if the price goes too high.

This is not analogous to non-renewable petroleum and the Great Lakes states are not in an OPEC-like position.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO DIVERSIONS! The thought just terrifies me.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the population shifts to the west and south so does the political power in this country. With increased representation in the thirsty states and decreased representation in the Great Lakes basin, access to water will become a political issue that will not be resolved in our favor.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it ever becomes necessary to share water, it should be traded not for dollars but rather for jobs.

The lack of jobs around the lakes contributed to the migration that in turn created the water supply/demand problem.

Moving the people to the water would solve their water problem once and for all. The "move the water to the people" solution would have to be continued indefinitely.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

If they want the water, let them move here and set up shop.

If they want to take it from us, we shoot them...dead.

Take a look at the dead communities in California where water was diverted to LA.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet the Michigan Militia is ready and waiting.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope so.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope so.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we going to be the new Dubai? And where can I get my Rolls Royce detailed?

Wiki Energy Site

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. They didn't have any problem pulling up stakes and depleting the water where they wanted to be, now they need to come back where there is enough water to use the way they want.

I overheard a couple talking over dinner in Brimley the other day about how they are FINALLY paying people in the southwest to tear up their lawns and xeriscape their yards. It really is about time. Just about three years ago, I read about homeowners in the Valley of the Sun who run their sprinklers on drip all summer long to keep their grass green. That is criminal.

Here is a good way to protect the water:

http://www.kairoscanada.org/e/ action/WaterMoreValuableThanGo ld_GreatLakesStory.pdf

I'm trying to track down this year's Mother Earth Water Walk, it usually is in April.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is, Lake Michigan this year, which is the only one completely in the US. It starts April 26 iin Manistee and is scheduled to end May 11/12 in Hannahville.

http://www.motherearthwaterwal k.com/lakeMichigan2.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shame people rather not deal with the snow and have ample water :-(

I wonder what's Ray1936's take on this...

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 29, 2008)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 665
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is strong support to change the state constitution to allow county sales taxes in exchange for the reversal of Proposition A passed in 1994 and a promise to lower the property taxes.

But, if we keep voting in leaders that vote in pay raises like in Livonia and who drive big cars like in Detroit, our supply of water will not bring in more jobs and people will not move here. Except more government workers and top Wal-Mart officials who get tax breaks from city officials, like in Livonia.

So, we need to get out and vote and make sure that we get people who are not stupid that run our government but instead those who care about the people by attracting good paying jobs to our state by using what God gave them and being SMART.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been telling people that the water will save our state, and the other states on the great lakes. Environmental regulations, which keep getting stricter all of the time, will prohibit any major diversions of water from the great lakes. Currently, we draw water from the ground, lakes and rivers in our area. After the water is used, it goes through a treatment facility and is released into the same bodies of water. Therefore, the net change in the quantity of water is approximately zero. This keeps our lakes from being sucked dry. Any diversion from the great lakes will create a net loss of water, and therefore could potentially lower the water levels. The only place that I know of where a diversion has been created is in Chicago, where they reversed the flow of the Chicago River. The US Army Corps of Engineers is constantly monitoring water levels as well as the volume of water that flows into the lakes and the rate that it is flowing out at.

We also have the shipping industry that would have problems if the water levels are lowered and they can't get through shallow bodies of water.

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone that cares about water in Michigan should have this link :-)

http://www.greatlakesdirectory .org/

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll shoulda been in Phoenix several years ago when Dumb George gave a speech telling people about how a pipeline could be built to move water from the Great Lakes to the desert. Some people actually believed the fool...others of us were rolling on the ground laughing!

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diversion is grounds for a second civil war.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main threat to the Great Lakes is that as the climate warms there will be more evaporation (hotter in summer, less ice cover in winter) and maybe less precipitation.

Large-scale diversions from the Great Lakes to the southwest are probably not practical (because of the energy required to pump the water that distance, over the mountains, it would be cheaper to desalinate or conserve or both.) You could certainly divert into the Mississippi Valley if you wanted, and maybe into the southeast although that would be harder.

It is entirely likely that people/businesses that need reliable access to large amounts of water will move into the Great Lakes region. Whether that will do much for Detroit in particular, I don't know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.