Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Forbes Lists Best American Suburbs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who care. This is a link to the Yahoo article. Links to Forbes.com can be found there.

http://promo.realestate.yahoo. com/top-suburbs-to-live-well.h tml

I was going to title this "Highland Park Makes Forbes' Top 15 American Suburb List" referring to the Dallas suburb with the same name, but I wasn't sure everyone would appreciate the joke (even though it is almost April 1st). Bloomfield Hills is the one actually listed from the Detroit area.

Quote:

"Crime data come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and include only per capita violent crimes and property crimes. Washington, D.C., and Detroit are both famous for high violent-crime rates, which in turn makes places such as Chevy Chase, Md., or Bloomfield Hills, Mich., all the more valuable."

Right, that's what makes it so expensi... nevermind, no comment.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5302
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but Bloomfield Hills still sucks.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, right. From a guy who probably would like to but probably can't afford to live there.

Why would anyone say the place "sucks?"

Patrick

Post Number: 5304
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious. Lemme guess, either you live there or you grew up there.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually they mention Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and Clarkston (Clarkston??)

There are three 'burbs picked for each city. I looked at the photo gallery.

Patrick

Post Number: 5305
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets call in the bombers from Selfridge in and have em carpet-bomb that whole area. Make it one big lake!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every major city needs great suburbs with cute lil downtowns. thats why i dont mind royal oak or birmingham too much. what bothers me is that heses lil downtowns come at the expense of the major central city's downtown

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lot's of prejudice here.

Let's see. After 10+ years growing up in BH (before that Bloomfield Village) I think I can safely say that a lot of adolescents think their shit doesn't stink because daddy has a lot of money and buys them a fast car when they get their license.

Then you have the sports stars. They come and go. But mostly you have work-aholics who own their own businesses.

Why prejudge a community you do not know? In reverse, would it be wrong for me to say all of Detroit is burned-out slums?

Of course it would. Since hidden away are communities & neighborhoods just as well kept up as anything available in Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bloomfield Hills needs more sidewalks.

Nothing like having to drive somewhere, just so you can go for a walk.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love BH; it does need more sidewalks though but i went to school at Andover and my cousin went to Cranbrook; but what is going on to the land where the Fox and Hounds Inn was?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6235
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine if Detroit had an urban growth border and people had to actually live together and reinvest in Detroit together.

jjaba.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6238
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proof again, Ann Arbor is NOT a suburb.

jjaba on the Westside.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They obviously didn't visit the area.

For most/all the cities, it chose traditional, established suburbs which have pretty uniform attributes. For Detroit, it chose areas that do have small cores, but are mostly sprawling. How you can be talking about the Detroit area and then throw in Clarkston instead of Grosse Pointe is beyond me. One of them is the original suburb, the other is in metro Flint.

Forbes specializes in producing irrelevant lists.

(Message edited by mackinaw on March 29, 2008)

Jrvass

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound,

Bendover, class of 1980. The Barons continually get their asses handed to them on a plate except in tennis & swimming.

Jrvass

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, do they still have the pictures of teams in the hallway in glass cases?

I remember one of the basketball team in the 1960-70's with the PE teacher Jack Hoff (His real name!) in the short basketball shorts of the era. We nicknamed him "Lefty" since his left nut was visible in the pic!

If he was 10 years younger, he would've been able to grab me and my friend smoking pot under the bleachers! Chased us around the lockers, pool, and into the parking lot.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And forensics!! haha thats about it. but yea they are still there. And i don't have anything towards Lahser students i had a lot of friends that went there (they have better parties for some reason) and still have a few that do. But Lahser is SO GHETTO now.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved from Detroit to Bloomfield, and I can say: It some ways, it kinda does suck. It's pretty culturally vacant (hey, aside from Cranbrook!).

But it doesn't suck so much if you abhor sidewalks & love strip malls, and can afford a $3.50 head of cauliflower. That's why I still shop at Eastern Market.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham Rocks!

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like cities like Birmingham. I don't deny it's beautiful and clean and safe and well-organized. But even if I could afford it, I wouldn't want to live in a city where everyone (badly) drives big SUVs, and the cops are really strict, and the drinks and services are very expensive.

There is also no music scene (sorry, live music at Dick O'Dows does not a "scene" make), and the art scene is, well, *different* than the art scene in more urban areas. Also everything closes early and it's so far away from all the good entertainment stuff Detroit has to offer (sports games, concerts, festivals, etc.).

It all depends on what you need out of life, and what I need is in the (313), hands down.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile JR and UM, I know andover men's basketball was division 4 champions last year and its possible they won it again this year... Like you said JR, for a school that only does well in tennis and swimming, its pretty impressive.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Melody. In Grosse Pointe everything closes early, there's basically no entertainment, and even restaurants/bars are in short supply in its downtown, but at least it's very close to downtown and the city in general for all of its cultural amenities which you allude to.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 10227
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody said:

"I don't like cities like Birmingham.....it's beautiful and clean and safe and well-organized."

Spoken like a true Detroiter.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, are you a propagandist by trade? You deliberately distorted what Melody said.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Melody, to each their own, the upper burbs really are very attractive and certainly offer a lifestyle preferred by many who are able to purchase in those areas. However, many of us prefer urban environments and dont particularily worry about some of the material needs of those areas nor the school systems. Just walking to the opener yesterday then sitting at Loco after having a drink and dinner with friends , the walking home once again drove home to me another reason why I personally really enjoy living downtown (along with my neighborhood) . No where else in this metro area could I do this and not even start a car.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11451
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill - I think the issue many of us have with the upper burbs is that they end up re-creating the same thing over and over.

There are some beautiful upper and western suburbs that are very tranquil and peaceful but they will quickly be overrun into the same thing that we see time and time again around here.

At one point M-59 was a beatiful and peaceful area as was areas around 23 and 26 mile roads but they have all turned into the same thing. Buying in a beautiful, peaceful northern suburb may veru well turn into a very frustrating expereience as the areas morph into what people were leaving in the first place.

It's the SE Michigan cycle.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't see how Detroit having high crime rates makes Bloomfield Hills valuable. Is Bloomfield Hills valuable because it is dependent upon Detroit? At one time, maybe. Today, not really. I'd be surprised if more than 50% of BH residents commuted to Detroit for work.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, check out Grosse Pointe Park's new bar Hard Luck Lounge (next to Dylan's, across from Village Idiot). Someday when I slow down (ha ha) I'd like to move to GPP just to be closer to places like Hard Luck and the Tap Room.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl is that you...

welcome back!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack and Kercheval in GP Park are exceptions, good point. I did not know they had a new bar on Mack, though, thanks for the head's up.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bill - I think the issue many of us have with the upper burbs is that they end up re-creating the same thing over and over.

I could not have said it better.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd prefer a bombed out looking corridor like Grand River?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11453
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You'd prefer a bombed out looking corridor like Grand River?

Somebody missed the point altogether. Please re-read my post then comment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.