Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Maria's Front Room « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hbisson
Username: Hbisson

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot but Maria's in Ferndale, formerly on Grand River, is closing *their* doors forever tomorrow. I hadn't read anything here about it so I thought I'd put the word out.

(Message edited by Hbisson on March 29, 2008)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?????????????
Why? How sad.

Hbisson

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently they can't keep up with food costs. Sadly after Joan died I don't think her son could really keep up with the intricacies of the business.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7434
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had some killer pasta back in the day. I always loved that quaint little place in Ferndale. 'Tis sad that another restaurant closes. They'd been there even back in the leaner Ferndale days too. Again, sad.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall them sharing a parking lot with the Rosedale Hardware.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-(

I loved that place

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't put this in the pizza thread, but Maria's VIP pizza was always my favorite. I never got there too often after they moved from Rosedale Park, but the food was always tops. I hope this is all a rumor.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sad to hear all this. I walked over and took a few snaps this morning, and the place was quite and empty:

Maria's 1

Maria's 2

Maria's 3

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one more:

Maria's 4

Hbisson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those pictures, thanks for posting them.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of you have sat at this intimate table?

Maria's 5

Hbisson

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I worked there for a few years and that table was the bane of my existence. Half the time people clamored for it and the other half of the time people hated it.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any word of what will happen to the space?

The times I've been there on weekend evenings with my girl, the place was always packed and we frequently had to wait for at least a few minutes to get a table.

It'd be a shame that an otherwise very successful & popular business goes under just because management can't take the heat. Hopefully somebody (former employees, a very satisfied -and solvent- customer, an adventurous entrepreneur) could come in and resurrect the place.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was during the time you lived above Joe's Party Store, no doubt. At least you made a buck, or two. Hbisson, do you have any other stories from your time there? Photos?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malcovemagnesia, see my views on your question here:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/133121.html?1206802469

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5831
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who found this place overrated? Don't get me wrong, I hate to see a Ferndale business close, but anytime I ate there I found the food extremely bland.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never ate there, Johnlodge, and I live close enough to throw a stone from my house and hit it. So I don't really know. I hear it was swell, but you know how tastes go.

Hbisson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All my stories are of the usual crazy restaurant variety, too many reservations and not enough tables.

Working with Joan Orlando was fantastic. Her picture is next to the word "feisty" in the dictionary. One night a gentleman came in without a reservation and was upset we couldn't seat him for about a half hour. He said "What do you think you are, the 21 Club?" and Joan shot back "No, if we were you wouldn't be seated at all!".

There were so many marriage proposals and anniversary celebrations there too. It was so great to chat with people who had been patronizing Maria's since the days on Grand River. Such a great customer base.

I'd probably recognize at least some of you as customers.

Sadly the pictures I had from the employee parties and stuff were all lost in the great hard drive crash a few years back.

(Oh and feel free to refer to me as Heather if you want)

Hbisson

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge-I actually agree with you for the most part. Most of the dishes were very standard (in some cases sub-standard). Last time I ate there I was disappointed. Frankly I think part of the reason they're closing is because the food has been going downhill and the prices have been rising.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Johnlodge and Hbisson standard to substandard and overrated. I think that Joan's friendship with restaurant critic Molly Abraham may have had a role with the past success of this place.

Hbisson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene-That and the nostalgia factor. I was too young to have ever eaten at the original location so I have no frame of reference when it comes to the food quality changing through the years.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never went there because I tried to go once in the winter, and you could not enter from the street, you had to enter from the back parking lot. Screw that, I'm not walking around the block. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather thanks for that laugh. I have days in the restaurant biz as well. In my misspent youth I worked as a porter at Perini’s on Whittier in Detroit. I have stories I can't tell as long as the people involved are still alive. I spent four years there working nights by myself, from 11 pm to 7 am six nights a week. I would ride my Schwinn bike or walk the couple of miles from my apartment on E. Warren and Three Mile to get there. I really missed out on a lot (including school) during that time, as I was 18 and had to support myself. Working nights was hard on me as my only “day” off was Monday. Few of my friends at that time would hang out with me on a Monday night, so I spent my time alone and drunk. I recall my time at the restaurant as the loneliest of my life, with no one to talk to and only the radio for companionship. I knew my friends were out there, doing the things that people that age should be doing: meeting girls, parting, taking trips and seeing the world. I worked all the holidays, and after everyone left I felt like I was the only person awake in the world. The music, and alcohol, was my only comfort as one night blended into the next, one year followed by the other. In the end I broke down. It took over four years, but I had enough. But I look back upon my days then with a sense of dread and nostalgia. If only I could go back in time to those days, and do it different, or do it over...

Parkguy

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to Rosedale Park in '78, and at that time (or shortly after) Maria's was six or eight tables in one storefront on Grand River. We went there pretty often (the location was only four or five blocks away), and that was about the only place we would get carryout. Within a couple of years they had filled three storefronts. Does anyone know about what year they opened in the first storefront?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3214
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy, AIR they opened in '74 (maybe '73, but I think '74). They were just a two table store-front pizza joint for the first few years (the famous Red Devil and that lesser known place in brightmoor across from the Irving theater (vics? vio's? i fergit) had MUCH better pizza, but Maria's was better than little Caesars down the block or Carlos' across from the Norwest). They eventually expanded into more of a sitdown restaurant with linens and waiters, liquor and an elaborate menu. At some point along the way they opened another restaurant waaaay up past Northland some where over near the zoo. Eventually boxing's Emmanuel Stewart became a partner in the Detroit restaurant and eventually took over the place.

Parkguy

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the second location was around Greenfield or Coolidge and Nine Mile. For a while you could get their garlic bread sticks in some grocery stores, I think.

Catjack7
Username: Catjack7

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very sad to hear about Maria's closing. I've been going to the Ferndale location at least once a month for the past 13 years. Loved their chicken piccata, chicken parm and spinach tortellini. I'm going to miss that restaurant.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm afraid it's becoming an Olive Garden world, and every time a Maria's or a Cardinelli's closes, life becomes a little less fun.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We found them on Grand River and went there whenever fortune smiled on us enough to afford it. Their garlic bread was great! We felt very sad when they moved out, but subsequently found them in Ferndale. We didn't go there very often as it was off our trail and often a good long wait for a table. Lately it has not been up to the old standards, but I will still be sorry to see them go.

RE: Olive Garden world, that is really hard to take. When we travel, we always seek out local spots, and it is getting really hard to do that. You have to get right away from the interstate and find the scattered spots full of diehard local folk.

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maria's was consistently good...not great..but good. First date with my significant other was at Maria's. Via Nove, just down the street from Maria's, seems to have become the place for "nice" italian food in Ferndale - although Via Nove is more expensive.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy,

I thought it was called Mama Mia on Grand River i Rosedale Park? I thought they moved out to Livonia on Plymouth Road by the old Fisher Body Plant back in the late eighties.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy,

I thought it was called Mama Mia on Grand River in Rosedale Park? I thought they moved out to Livonia on Plymouth Road by the old Fisher Body Plant back in the late eighties.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different restaurant. There were several Mam(m)a Mia's. I am not sure if the one on Beech Daly and Seven Mile and the one on Plymouth are the same people. There was also one on Eight Mile just west of Evergreen that moved out to Walled Lake. None of them were Maria's on Grand River.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were walking around downtown Ferndale on Saturday and learned it was also the last day for Dragonfly, a women's clothing boutique. They are moving to downtown Rochester. The employee told us business has been bad and the owner believes she can do better in Rochester. Record Time is now empty, with a "For Rent" sign in the window and another that reads "Technology stole my record store."

It's a tough, depressing time.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what is more depressing Treelock, is that Ferndale is helping this exodus by making the downtown business pay an extra tax to promote the area. It’s a crock of shit and the results are evident here. I think the bigger plan is to force out all but the night clubs so Ferndale can compete with Royal Oak.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5847
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no extra tax for downtown businesses as of yet. The millage that passed applied the current PSD tax to the new expanded boundries of the "Downtown". The businesses in the core of downtown had already been paying this tax.

The DDA plans to bring up the new PSD tax again in the future, but they will meet just as stiff resistance, if not more so, than last time.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer...Great wine and bread. I hope something unique fills the void...

Is ferdale slipping?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not just Ferdale, downtown USA is slipping.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5887
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown USA was having a pretty good comeback. I think it still is, as far as being a desirable place. I think USA in general is slipping, and so everything with it. It'll come back around.

Parkguy

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are still a couple of Mama Mia restaurants around... the one at Grand River and Beech Daly is still open, and I think the one on Plymouth east of Inkster is, too.

I was talking to a guy who is familiar with Maria's and he said that the place was still very busy on weekends, but very slow the rest of the week. Restaurants are a tough business to run. The failure rate is very high, especially in a bad economy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.