Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » City Council Elections « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Council elections will be upon us soon. I want to make an informed decision, so what are your views on the individual councilors?
All I really have decided so far:
Ken Cockrel: YES, provided he is not already Honorable Mayor Kenneth Cockrel by the time he's up for re-election.
Martha Reeves: uh no.
Monica Conyers: HELL NO.
BRC: HELL NO.

Please, no "Toss them all out!" If that is the case, why, on an individual basis? I think the above three speak for themselves.
Which incumbents do you think merit re-election?

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, no "Toss them all out!"

Too bad, I am gonna say it anyway...they all NEED to be tossed out if the city is going to get anywhere. The slate needs to be wiped clean, period. And re-electing even just one of the incumbents will surely muck everything up.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep:
Ken Cockerel1
Sheila Cockerel

Maybe:
Brenda Jones
Kwame Kenyatta

GET OUT! Everyone else!!

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SHOULD THEY BE RE-ELECTED?

KEN COCKREL-- yes. he usually votes for the people.
SHEILA COCKREL-- hell no. she always votes to raise water rates and until recently has always kissed the mayor's bone.
MARTHA REEVES-- don't know how she got to this point. didn't even have the courage to come and cast a vote for the mayor's resignation request. said she had the 24 hour pneumonia.
ALBERTA TINSLEY TALABI---USELESS. always on her knees when it comes to the mayor. gotta go.
MONICA CONYERS-- another fine example of detroiters voting for a name they recognize. she's just killing time until John croakes and she can run for his congress seat. GHETTO.
BRENDA JONES, KWAME KENYATTA, JOANNES WATSON--
I usually support them.
BARBARA ROSE COLLINS-- forgot about her. that about says it all.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLUNK the vote and vote ONLY for the candidates you want, do NOT vote for others. You don't have to make 9 votes. Martha and Barbara are useless and I agree Monica is a little Ghetto.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please vote for:
K. Cockrel (i hope he is not mayor though)
S. Cockrel
K. Kenyatta

Please don't vote for:
Brenda Jones
Joanne Watson
Monica Conyers
Barbara Rose Collins

Don't care because they rarely take sides:
Talabi
Reeves

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4689
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Council incumbents who choose to run will be re-elected unless "caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl" [if male, vice versa if female].

In other words unless you are a Lonnie Bates the job is yours for as long as you want it. It is one of the most incumbent-secure political positions in America.

"Democracy the worst form of government, except for all the rest."

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason why the city wallows in misery. City voters are too apathetic or stupid to make the required changes.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5852
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget Barbara Rose Collins was very strong voiced in her support to withold funding for Detroit charities if their board of directors weren't 51% from Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.