Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mystery Church in Windsor viewed from Detroit??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone identify this church and give some background about it. I viewed it from the downtown Detroit site of where the old Parke Davis offices were that are now the Omni Hotel and shot this photo of this Windsor church. Thanks.

Mystery Church in Windsor

Redhead
Username: Redhead

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Lady Of The Rosary church...

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=462

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not positive, but I believe that AIW may have tied the knot with Lori in that church. Maybe he will chime in.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, where's Rosary? Is it in Ontario somewhere?

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

The_rock

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's on Riverside Drive,Windsor. Kinda across from the old Uniroyal plant and you see it as you cross to Belle Isle over the bridge.
I'm pretty sure I got this one right. Didn't AIW even do a separate post on this beautiful old church that closed about a year ago?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4536
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was closed. They must have a mighty stupid bishop over there.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is at the corner of Riverside Drive and Droillard Road--just east of the Hiram Walker & Sons distillery. It did indeed close as part of the diocese plan to consolidate parishes in Essex County. It was originally built as an anchor for Ford City--the one time Ford Motor Company suburb that occupies that area of Windsor. It's eventually disposition at this time is unknown, as the Diocese has rented it on an interim basis to Ford, which is using the parish hall as a site office during construction of an energy co-generation project next to the existing Ford Power House.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does Mackinaw think the bishop is so stupid?

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, the parish consolidation 'plan' has been highly controversial--perhaps he's reacting to that--or merely the resulting vacancy of the magnificent building. The Diocese also flip-flopped on this church--initially promising that it would remain open--only to change it's mine later and announce it's closure on a very tight timeline (I'd bet the sublease with Ford was already in the works). The saddest part perhaps is that the closure was not primarily due to declining membership (as is often the case with inner-city parishes whose neighborhoods 'change')--but was directly related to the fact the building was found to need structural work of a cost higher than the Diocese was willing and/or able to pay.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10160
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..the same with Assumption Church (St. Anne's sister church near the Ambassador Bridge). They want the parish to find, in the poorest neighbourhood in Windsor, $6.9 million to fix Assumption. This is the oldest parish west of Montreal yet the diocese wants it closed.

The hypocrisy of not only the diocese but the hierarchy of the church is astonishing. They yell for tradition yet allow historical chruches such as Holy Rosary and Assumption to close.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can tell alot about religion from what they don't recognize.

Jews don't regnize Jesus.
Presbyterians don't recognize the Pope.
And Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

Thanks for the Catholic lore. jjaba always learns from this site. Thanks Goat, The Rock, et. al.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4550
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, the other posters answered your question. It's stupid because of the way people are so daunted by dollar figures...a church like that is worth it to keep around. People need to have some faith, do their best, and try to keep it open, rather than just giving up. Something like this really strikes a chord in Detroit, which has lost great churches, and which has tons of great remaining churches that we'd hate to lose.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I saw St. Stanislaus, it was looking real bad. Any rumors that it may be restored, or will the same thing happen to it (I know, its not a catholic church anymore, but still)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6599
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They must have a mighty stupid bishop over there

You say that again. Nearly every historic church has been closed or is closing over the last 15 years.

It is true I was married in it, and it was a beautiful church.

It was built in 1907, to replace an earlier church that burned to the ground. The architects were the Williams Brothers of Detroit. Because of the boom to the surrounding area due to the new Ford Plant and the influx of European migrants to the area, the church was built with seating for a thousand. The largest capacity church in Windsor.

In the photos in the link on my site, you can see a smaller electric cross in between the two towers. It was donated by a parishioner in the 20's as a "gift" to the church. In reality the parishioner was a bootlegger, and the giant illuminated cross was used as a navigation beacon for the rumrunners crossing in the dead of night or in the fog...

The_rock

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooooooooray! For once I was correct. AIW and Ms. AIW walked down the aisle there.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so frustrating to see all these grad edifices in Europe that have taken a century build and were painstakingly restored after WWII and yet we simply abandon are old churches on this side of the pond. I understand that not everything can be preserved but historic churches are more than meeting houses.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6600
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

historic churches are more than meeting houses.

Not according to the local dioceese they aren't. According the the bishop they are "just buildings, not monuments".

Gertrude

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real uplifting, that guy. And historically inaccurate.

Well, I'm certainly glad you and the Missus got to enjoy your wedding day in such a fine structure.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assumption is historical and should definitely be something the diocese preserves. When I originally found out about Assumption I was surprised and saddened because of its importance in the founding of the cities here. I really couldn't believe it.

Our Lady of the Rosary on the other hand is kinda nice but not really historical. In that case things change and if it closes it closes. It doesn't make much sense to close it, however, if the membership is still strong and only because the building needs structural repairs. If that's all then the diocese is making a mistake.

Gertrude, there are plenty of abandoned ruins of churches across Europe, Turkey and the Middle East that were far more historical than any church here. Religion changed, people moved on, whatever and the churches were left empty.

There are even beautiful gems of churches, hundreds of years old, today being left empty and abandoned. The great churches you speak of were the big ones, the great monuments that no church in the Detroit area could ever be compared to. In many cases they bring in tourists, pilgrims and money to support themselves and are distinguishing features of the cities in which they're located.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6256
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Jews left behind scores of wonderful buildings too.
Synagogues, community centers, schools; gone.
See the Synagogue tour for details.

jjaba.

Gertrude

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Jews left behind some truly beautiful, awe-inspiring buildings. Are there any temples/synagogues still left in the city, Jjaba?

It seems like the newer synagogues along Walnut Lake and Maple roads in WB are not built to last the way the old ones were or even the ones in Oak Park.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7251
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Gertrude,

All the synagogues in Detroit are gone, but there is one synagogue left in Detroit. THE DOWNTOWN SYNAGOGUE. It's there on Griswald and Clifford, up and running and the Jewish congregation is not giving up on their location.The Jews are still known in Detroit.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6257
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Confirmed, 80,000 Detroit Jews have left the party. Downtown Synagogue hangs on and there's a small congregation in Lafayette Park using rented space.

Andrew in Windsor aka AIW picked a great bldg. to tie the knot. Mazel tov, as they say in French.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.