Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Grand Prix need volunteers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crains
Username: Crains

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix is seeking volunteers for this year’s auto race to be held on the two-mile track on Belle Isle Park Aug. 29-31. Click on the link below for details:
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0327/FREE/797906187/-1

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks are expected to work...for free?

Interesting concept.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you have to pay to work for free. There is a $15 membership fee. But its worth it, lots of fun and the enjoyment of being involved in a great event.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds fun, but I would miss the Jazz Fest. That aint gonna happen.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a volunteer the last 7 years it was held on the island.

It was a blast.

I couldn't volunteer last year as I was out of town on race weekend. I hoping to be able to do it this year, but my plans are still up in the air.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i volunteered last year
i got to chill in the chalets around the fountain
we also got tickets for the sunday race and pit passes
i may have been a special case, but it was a good time
plus its all you can drink

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad we don't have the Formula 1 race downtown anymore. How great would it be to have the Ferrari's and McLaren's duking it out on the streets of Detroit while a billion TV viewers around the world focus on the city of Detroit. At least we got the Red Bull Air Race coming.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think the Belle Isle track is much smoother, so it is nice from a racing standpoint. And the TV audience gets a nice shot of the skyline every time they come to the Start/Finish line. I like the race at the park.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.