Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroityes forumers need to run for city council « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering if any of you forumers on here have ever thought of running for Detroit City Council?
You all care about the city, seem to understand the issues, and want to make Detroit a better place to live. So why not run and make a difference?

I was at an urban planning conference last month, and a student asked the former mayor of Winnipeg who was doing a speech, on how to best get elected officials to listen to your issues and fix things. And his answer was "run for office".
If you want to change something, run for office :-)

Your views. I think a good many of you on here would make amazing city councillors and even mayor.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

95% of the people on this forum, myself included, don't live in the city proper. Running for council might be awkward.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^When was the last time a survey was done?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8056
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last election there were several discussions about several forumers and friends of the forum throwing their hats into the ring, but the primary and current at-large process (therefore, name recognition is crucial) made the decision for them.

They all declined, deciding they could make a greater contribution to the City in their existing roles, and they still do.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's my firm belief that most people who run for public office do it for one of two reasons. (1) What's in it for me?
(2) An overwhelming ego.

Sometimes (3) both

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray I do not believe that. I have run for city council, and I have done it because I really do want to make a difference.

It is not like councillors make some sort of amazing over the top wage, etc. It can be hard work being a city councillor.

Like any job, there are some who do it just because it is a job. And there are others who really do care.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, read it again. I said "most", not all.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I helped two people last go round...but I don't live in the city either...I'd surely run if I did, but, since I won't even be in the immediate vicinity in a few weeks - I can't.

I have caught the bug since this president and will DEF run for something when my residency rule is completed where i am going.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rubyman stated...
quote:

95% of the people on this forum, myself included, don't live in the city proper. Running for council might be awkward.

I would have never guessed on that!__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I ran for council this is what I would try to do.

1) Push for districts or wards

2) Establish monthly meetings in each district of Detroit where I personally show up to address the people. There can be no useful government if the citizens are not involved in it.

3) Get the citizens involved in patrolling the community and the opening of more police precincts in the community. I'd also push for better police/citizen relationships

4) Push for after hours activities for the children

5) Get behind efforts to clean up trash and debris in the community

6) Work with small business owners to get more businesses opened in the community

7) Hire Detroitrise and English as my chiefs of staff

8) - ???) Open for suggestions from the community. If I serve them then I should listen to them

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt a white face with no significant name could win at this time. Maybe in 50 years. The first prerequisite for any position of power, in my estimation, is that you must be black. Just caring ain't enough.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be that running for elective office in your city, township or school district was seen as a civic duty. Officeholders never forgot that they were there to serve the public and as a result, they were shown a measure of respect for their many hours of (mostly) uncompensated effort.

However, over the last thirty years or so, local election campaigns have become a blood sport that continues even after the election is over. Perhaps it came as a result of increased compensation for the post and the expectation that it should be a full-time job?

As a result, todays candidates need to have a thick skin and an ego to match if they are not going to get eaten alive. The compensation and full-time aspects of these local elected offices seems to attract many candidates who want to make a career out of holding elective office, rather than bringing a well-developed set of real-world career experiences to the job. These are the types that I think are most likely to bring the "what's in it for me?" attitude to the job.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont believe that Jhart. I think when this scandal is over with more citizens will realize that there needs to be a serious change in city government. Its not going to matter if you are black, white, blue or green. I agree a platform of caring won't be enough. You will have to have a plan for making this city a better place and not just talk it.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhartmich said:
quote:

"I doubt a white face with no significant name could win at this time. Maybe in 50 years. The first prerequisite for any position of power, in my estimation, is that you must be black. Just caring ain't enough."

I resent this very much. I guess Obama could have simply said no black man will ever be president. Well maybe in 50 years. Yet instead he went into some of the whitest areas of the country and won primaries. It's all about trying to connect with people. But I guess if you didn't really want to connect to the people you seek to govern you probably couldn't win.

*SMH*

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8063
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing that will be required will be a return/change to a combination ward system and at-large Council, which will require a change in the City Charter.

After years of my opposition to this proposal, I've come to realize this may be the only only possibility to balance the needs of the CBD and the neighborhoods.

This might be more worthy of a petition drive than a recall.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement: Resent what you want, who cares. No me importa, as mother would say.

The fact remains that the most prosperous parts of the city are Midtown (my neighborhood) and SW Detroit (where I'm from). Watch the city council meetings, they talk about all the black neighborhoods but NEVER anything for us. I played soccer for YEARS at Patton Park and never once did the city cut the grass. The community took care of it.

Over the years there have been a few candidates from SW Detroit to run. They had support in SW but could not get one Black Pastor to even give them a forum to speak. One very smart (attorney) and giving women at LASED was told to "Go back to Mexico" when she tried to speak with a certain black influential pastor about running for city council. You people scream at whites all day about being racist but when you do it, it's suppose to be ok.

With Detroit being 80%+ black they simply want to keep the administration black and won't give any support to anyone, no matter how much they do in their community, unless they're black. Like I say, it will change, but not for many years or until more latinos and whites move in to make the city more diverse.

P.S. And Obama is no more Black, than he is white. Last I heard he was 50-50. I hope he becomes the next MIXED president, I like him. But I'll bet you any money, if the dude ran for political office in Detroit you would say he isn't black enough.

(Message edited by jhartmich on March 26, 2008)

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhartmich said:
quote:

"You people scream at whites all day about being racist but when you do it, it's suppose to be ok."

Wow, we got us a real bitter one here. You people? You never once asked me for my support because I gives a rat's ass what color someone is. My concern is how qualified they are. With people like Mahaffey and Sheila Cockrel on the council I don't see how anyone can say a white person CANNOT be on the council. There has probably ALWAYS been at least one white person on the council. Can you say that there has always been black people on the council? No you can't, but that's neither here nor there.

And since we are talking about "you" people. Funny how the one drop rule made everyone with a drop of black blood "black" until one person with a white parent wanted to run for president and then all of a sudden he got the new distinction of being "mixed."

I really wish we could all move beyond race but the older I get the more I realize that I'm the fool.

*SMH* x2

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No your not a fool Detroit is behind I'd say about 20 years in terms of race relations. By the time we catch up with the rest of the country racial divisions will be beyond played out. After all were about to elect a black president.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_mind wrote: "With people like Mahaffey and Sheila Cockrel on the council I don't see how anyone can say a white person CANNOT be on the council."

Mahaffey was a community activist that had name recognition and was elected in the early 70's when Detroit had a larger white voting population. As an incumbent, she stayed on because of name recognition (and hard work).

Sheila Cockrel got in because of her husband (black). Once again, being an incumbent, name recognition keeps her there. If she used he maiden name, she'd be out in a New York second.

Like I said in my original post, a white face WITH NO SIGNIFICANT NAME (recognition) will not win. Your people will not allow anyone to even have a forum, like my latina sista'. The truth is what it is.

(Message edited by jhartmich on March 26, 2008)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How hard did she try Jhart? She can't give up. Did she go to black churches across the city? Or was it churches in Southwest? Is there a way to find out the results of the last council elections? I am sure if Southwest Detroit got out to vote that person could be well represented.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mich and Pavement both bring up some valid points.

For one, I think Mich touched on a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately: the black pastor cabal.
Personally, I think they're a bunch of charlatans and the world would be a better place without them. They're huge power brokers in their communities, growing wealthy and powerful off of their tax-free, non-productive enterprises. Worse, they have huge sway in politics. I think they proved their worth in their most recent support of Kwame. These are the successors of the pastors who urged black workers not to unionize Ford, since Ford was lining their own pockets quite nicely.
I do not believe that black residents of Detroit would not vote for a white, Latino, or other person for a position such as city council. The vast majority of my friends and neighbors want what everyone else wants, a safe, clean city in which to live and representatives who will stand for them, regardless of race. Mahaffey may have had name recognition after so many years, but she was constantly re-elected because she stood up for the people and the neighborhoods.
I do believe, however, that the powers that be in the black community, namely the pastors, would do all in their power to prevent that and preserve the status quo. Mich seems to have personal experience of this.

It is correct that Detroit has always had at least one white member of the city council. However, if you look in the past 2 decades, name recognition has played a huge part. Right now, 4 of our council have extremely familiar names; this is not a racial problem, but the fact that the council is city-wide and nobody knows who the hell anyone is.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure as white well-intentioned-joe-shmoe Bill Mylastnamehere, I could not get elected. However, if I changed my name to Bill Mahaffey or Cockrel or Ravitz or hell, even Young, I'd probably stand a pretty good shot!

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changing their names has already worked out really well for Malik Shabazz and Coleman Young Jr...

Jhartmich

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub: How hard? That's kind of hard to define. She understood that she could not just rely on the SW vote nor did she want to. She was dedicated in trying to make a difference in all parts of Detroit if given the chance.

I know she first tried to get a meeting with the Council of Black Pastors. Denied. She then went to various black pastors individually around the city. No luck.

Maybe she will try in the future. As you said, maybe after the current scandal people will think differently. We have some good council members. I'm not saying that a white, asian, or latino council member would be any better or worse. I'm simply stating that, IN MY OPINION, I don't even see them giving anyone a chance (or supporting anyone) who isn't black. If your name is Rodriguez or O'Reilly, forget it. I told her to do exactly what the previous poster suggested, change her last name something african and buy some african garb.

(Message edited by jhartmich on March 27, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this case, I think what's happening in the city with the Latino community is the exact same thing that happens to black folk in a white community.

The ethnic/racial/sex/whatever group in power is deathly afraid of losing that power. Men are afraid, in general, of losing their institutional power to women. Whites are very uncomfortable about the demographic shifts nationally.

What I'm about to say is not a judgement; it's more to be taken in the context of history.

Blacks run the city of Detroit; it's only human nature that another group, especially one so different (mostly Catholic, many speak another language, etc) would be refused a voice whenever possible by the powers that be.

It's one of the reasons why Wards are DOA in the city of Detroit and will not happen. An at-large system guarantees that the 80% black city will be represented in the vast majority by blacks and a confederation of ethnic neighborhoods could not rise up to be in control, as in order to do so in an at-large system they'd all have to agree on one candidate.

You wouldn't see any different behaviour in a white city, either, if it meant holding onto power. The current system not only benefits blacks staying in power, but the current regime staying in power. With some name recognition and a war chest you can quell any uprising.

These same tactics were used for decades and in fact were set up by the white people who were in charge of the city of Detroit to keep black representation virtually non-existent for decades... the same game is just being played back with a flipped script.

It's how civilization has worked for thousands and thousands of years. You either keep your power, or fight hard to get it. It's never, ever, given to you.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...the black pastor cabal. Personally, I think they're a bunch of charlatans and the world would be a better place without them. They're huge power brokers in their communities, growing wealthy and powerful off of their tax-free, non-productive enterprises.

Also there's the great deal of money that they are making with their charter schools, "last chance academies," head start programs, and sundry other contracts with the school system.

Remember the letter that a number of them signed and sent (then retracted when it became public) to Dr. Connie Calloway when she was being considered for superintendent telling her not to come to Detroit?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im gonna stick my 2 cents in here. I have to agree with Crumbled_pavement. Wasnt Kwame re-elected because he was "the blackest candidate". I believe this is true. Do you think a white candidat could win mayorship in detorit?
NO F'in WAY. When Detroit citizens stop electing people because they are "Blacker" then maybe there will be some hope for detroit.

Thats my opinion, go ahead and chew my ass now. Thanks.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to be elected in this city, then you have to have a talk-radio show or be a TV personality or be a former Motown legend. Being a talk-radio show host is the key.

First of all, that gets you name recognition since people hear you discussing issues almost daily. Secondly, if you are passionate about the topics that your audience feels strongly about, then that shows Detroiters that you care about them and the city.

Thirdly, if you say nice things about the mayor or defend him to your last breath, then you have a good shot of being elected(Frankie Darcell, Karen Dumas, and Art Blackwell, not Mildred Gaddis). Fourthly and finally, if you are a black militant-type host, then that's the nail in the coffin. Look what it did for Joann Watson and Kwame Kenyatta. So, if you want to win an elected position in Detroit, don't run for political office until you have taken this route.

(Message edited by royce on March 27, 2008)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"95% of the people on this forum, myself included, don't live in the city proper. Running for council might be awkward."

I certainly hope the statistic is higher than this.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really don't think the 95% figure is accurate.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon for City Council ! He's our man!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, if you look in the past 2 decades, name recognition has played a huge part. Right now, 4 of our council have extremely familiar names; this is not a racial problem, but the fact that the council is city-wide and nobody knows who the hell anyone is.

BINGO!
I went to a City Council candidates' forum in '05 when there were something like 120 people running. About 50-60 of them showed up for what would only be a quick chance to make their case. Of them, about ten struck me as honest, intelligent and passionate about wanting to make things better. The rest just opened their mouths and displayed varying degrees of lunacy.
I voted for the good ones, and wished I could've voted 100 times. They didn't make it past the primary. We ended up with Martha Reeves and Monica Conyers because the majority of voters don't do their homework and make any effort to find out who it is they're voting for.

I agree that changing your name to something African-sounding would at least double your chances. Sad, but true.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner said:
quote:

"I have to (dis)agree with Crumbled_pavement. Wasnt Kwame re-elected because he was "the blackest candidate". I believe this is true. Do you think a white candidat could win mayorship in detorit?
NO F'in WAY. When Detroit citizens stop electing people because they are "Blacker" then maybe there will be some hope for detroit.

Thats my opinion, go ahead and chew my ass now. Thanks."

I don't chew ass but I will say this, yes I think a white candidate could win the mayorship in Detroit. Do I think it would be an easy road? NO. Do I think any Joe Shmoe who is white can win it? NO. However, when people say that Kwame won because he was the "blackest" candidate they ignore two points. One point, Freman Hendrix almost won. It isn't like Kwame received 300k votes to Hendricks 50 votes. Kwame won that election by the skin of his teeth. The second point, is everyone that supported Kwame didn't support him just because he was the "blackest" candidate. Let's remember that lots of wealthy WHITE business men put MONEY behind Kilpatrick's campaign. I'm absolutely sure that it was important to wealthy white business owners to have the blackest candidate win.

So did Kwame portraying himself as the "blacker" candidate help him with a certain demographic? I'm sure it did. David Duke has supporters too. However, I doubt most of the people who voted for Kwame did so just because of him being the "blacker" candidate.

from, http://www.detnews.com/2005/po litics/general/detroit.htm

Kilpatrick: 123,140
Hendrix: 108,600
Difference: 14,500 (Yes, I agree. Obvious Hendrix (black father, white mother: the Obama of this election) definitely had NO support in Detroit.

Also, Sheila Cockrel was the fourth highest vote getter in the election to city council. She definitely is the fourth blackest member of the city council.

You know what.... actually, now that I looked up the stats I want to take back what I said. You do have to be black to get on the council or run for mayor. The stats absolutely prove that!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crumbled_pavement, for the compliment! I don't know if I'll ever work for city government, though. My heart is in education.

I'm *really* hoping for a faculty job opening at Wayne State, Marygrove, or U-D Mercy within the next 1-2 years. I'll be on the faculty job market in 18 months & I really want to stay in the state. I've had some serious nudges from a few major universities already (an East Coast school, a West Coast school & somewhere halfway between)... but would pass that up for a chance to come home and roll up my sleeves again. (Can you say, major scale university/school district partnership?)

I'll fix the schools. The rest of you guys can clean up everything else. :-D

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John George, founder of Motor City Blight Busters tried to run a few years ago, and didn't survive the primary. He certainly has name recognition.

I have to agree, the pastors have much influence, and a few I've talked to in the past have been honest in saying that they feel blacks must keep control of city government. I can understand why they feel that way, but we, as a region need to move beyond this mindset all across the board.

BTW, I ran(unsucessfully) for city council last year in Hamtramck!

(Message edited by detroitej72 on March 27, 2008)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom said that Detroit never should have lifted the residence requirement for city workers, including police and fire.

Is that still the case?

If you can live outside the city and be a cop, why can't you be in the council?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a popular notion that Archer lifted the residency requirement. However it was lifted by Lansing during the Engler Republican Regime. It was at the time when they dissolved the old Recorder's Court, and the school board.

I always felt that if you work for a municipality, then you should live there, as your more likely to take an 'ownership' role in the community.

As far as living outside the city and serving on council, that would be a terrible idea. Imagine if an outside company wanted to get some favorable legislation passed, all they would need to do is have some yes man serve on city council with no regard to the citizen's welfare.

Some could argue it would be no worse than it is now, but that would take away the whole home rule concept our nation was founded on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.