Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pontiac takes another hit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3932
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downgraded

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a surprise. Pontiac is one step away from state takeover.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and with their latest round of shinanigans with the Silverdome bidding, they deserve it. They are trying to be TOO greedy with the dome and it's land.

It makes no sense to have three different bidding rounds in 6 months when someone comes with a sweeter deal... they they raise the reqs. I feel sorry for the Pontiacians <-- lol made up word.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11448
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is unfortunate that the 'County Seat' of a county that considers itself one of the wealthiest in the country finds itself in this position.

Speaks voumes about the messed up fiefdom system in place in michigan.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anywhere in Michigan doing good?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin.. I was a part of a venture bidding on the Dome so I know a tad about how they are doing things.

Hit me up kevin at crushmediagroup dot com

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiacians...would the 'c' be soft

Or hard C with Pontiacans?

this could be a fun.

I feel really bad for Pontiac...my in laws live there and they hardly ever leave the city except to visit us. pretty weird

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I met a guy the other day that other than southern Oakland county... he had never been outside of Detroit to Pontiac or Ann Arbor.

BTW he is 23

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is anywhere in Michigan doing good?"

Ann Arbor, up north and the westside are doing fine.

It's the whackos here in far SE Michigan that are doing poorly.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, that city still owes me some tax returns!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, I wouldn't say that "up north" is doing fine, with the possible exception of TC and thereabouts. There are plenty of job losses and foreclosures up north, too.

(Message edited by Burnsie on March 27, 2008)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting that whenever Brooks starts thumping his chest about how wonderful Oakland County is doing compared to Detroit, no one responds, "Ah, Mr. Patterson, let's talk a little bit about the City of Pontiac...."

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine is relative. Nowhere in the state is doing particularly well, though SE Michigan is worse-off due to the cuts in the automotive industry. West Michigan is doing better - but Grand Rapids in particular is focusing heavily on healthcare, which strikes me as a risky gamble, as only those with good jobs can pay for medical costs. They've been struck big-time with manufacturing losses, too. They are however fortunate to have a smaller city that is quicker to act, that as of recent seems to think quite progressively.

I visit family living in Muskegon on a regular basis. They're in the dumps economically, too.

A lot of resort towns up north rely on SE Michigan money to keep going. Traverse City is fortunate that it brings in Chicago residents, too. Manufacturing and non-service jobs up north have really dried up.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds bad...real bad.

Well I work for OnStar and we are moving there next month. So that might bring some new job openings to the area. It's a bigger building then the one we are in now.

I know that Pontiac has the Taste Fest and some other festivals. Seems like the city needs more revenue & etc to get it back up.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Taste Fest is in Detroit. You're thinking of Arts, Beats & Eats.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 672
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry my bad. Been hearing some enlightening details from my co-workers about us moving to Ponitac.

From what ive heard so far it doesn't sound so good as you get away from the Downtown Pontiac area.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine that you are moving to Centrepointe Campus, next to the truck plant on Opdyke. That's officially in Pontiac, but definitely in a generic industrial park. My condolences.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55, I believe OnStar is moving to an office building @ Judson and Woodward, downtown, near the Phoenix Center.

Civilprotectionunit4346...Pont iac is a perfectly safe city to scoot around in. Even in the worst neighborhood, I seriously doubt you would have any issue driving through. Pontiac has many great neighborhoods, such as Indian Village, Seminole/Ottawa/Cherokee Hills, Pontiac Knolls, Pontiac Golf Course, etc. I'm glad OnStar is coming to Pontiac and you might end up liking it for many reasons--i.e. the traffic situation in the city is not bad at all. As with Detroit, there is a lot of paranoia & bad perceptions with Pontiac, what with it being the only real urban area in Oakland County, but hold out judgement until you spend some quality time there.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89 writes that Pontiac is "the only real urban area in Oakland County."

Actually, lots of areas in Oakland County fit the definition of "urban," as the 4th ed. of the American Heritage Dictionary defines it: "1. Of, relating to, or located in a city. 2. Characteristic of the city or city life."

And if by "urban" you actually mean a traditional, non-fake downtown, then Royal Oak, Ferndale and other places would also fit your definition, not just Pontiac.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU,

I worked for EDS-GMC in Pontiac for several years. Let us know where you will be HQ'd and we can help you out.

Pontiac is not scary... except at night. When jaywalkers cross 6-7 lanes of Wide Track and you only see them by the whites of their eyes!

Certain days/festivals I avoid Pontiac at night. Not because of danger to me, but I fear running some jaywalker over.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's the whackos here in far SE Michigan that are doing poorly.

Amen. It's a lunitic bin.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the poor City has taken yet another hit regarding the recent beating of a Pontiac Northern High School teacher by two/three of his "students".
Broken rib, skull fracture--this happened in the class room.
What next for this once wonderful, prosperous town?

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie--I'm using it loosely, as Pontiac is Oakland's urban core; however, Pontiac is a true independent ("satellite") city of Detroit, while Ferndale, for example, is an inner-ring suburb. We're talkin' semantics here, though. :-)

Other than jaywalking, I also witnessed someone driving a TrailBlazer the wrong way up Wide Track a few months ago, and then making a panicked turn onto Oakland/Cesar Chavez. Some people still haven't gotten the memo about the one-way streets downtown!

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As messed up as our great city is,it will be a great place to work civilprotectionunit4346.The people are friendly and venture out of downtown for some good food.Stay away from Baldwin near downtown,and anywhere on or near Paddock,it can be rough.The coneys on Joslyn are all good.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are moving by the Phoneix Center by Judson Street. We're moving into the taller building thats facing south.

Cool thing is the one Haunted house is right by the parking garage where we'll be parking. So that's a plus. Everyone here was wishing we would've move to the bus & truck center building.

I worked in Pontiac before I worked for OnStar here in Troy. I worked for ACI(contractor for comcast). When I 1st started doing cable work I was doing jobs in Warren. Then they gave me jobs in and around my home area.

Now I am looking to buy a house in Mt Clemens.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Facing S.?

That doesn't help. Officenter, Ottawa Towers are both connected to the parking garage. Pontiac Place(?) is across the street. Some good restaurants within walking distance.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a great apartment community on the northeast side of Pontiac, just a 5-10 minute drive from downtown. Clean, cheap and has a lot of extras.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.