Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Whats happening to downtown Ferndale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First Old Navy outlet and now Record Time thats closing its doors today.

Here is what their myspace had posted...
"On Wednesday the 26th Ferndale Record Time will close it's doors for the last time. A big thank you to everyone who supported us there for so many years.

Stop by the store and buy something so we don't have to move it.. Much of the store is 50% off.

Many fixtures and other stuff from the store is also for sale."

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people are not buying CDs anymore thats all. The old navy outlet was one thing I missed. Record time roseville was my preferred store.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The economy is hitting downtown Ferndale much like the rest of the region. And as Steelworker said, cd stores are getting hit hard because of the changing tastes in formats of listening to music. The Record Time in Roseville is 10 times better anyways. I would rather they put their resources in one store and keep it going than keep two going and go under.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5783
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been known they are closing up for awhile. Like Steelworker said, Record Stores just aren't profitable anymore.

However, look for something quite cool coming to the vacant front next to the W.A.B.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Record Time has been closing for a few months now. Sounds like you have not been supporting them. That is what is happening to downtown Ferndale.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the funk seems to be dissapating

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5784
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Detroit Bros. Choppers will be expanding their facility to create a full-service motorcycle shop. These guys are celebrities since their appearance on Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off. Another great Ferndale business.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to hijack the thread, but check out Washington St. in Royal Oak. There is an alarming amount of vacancy. Retailers are taking it in the shorts.

Bob

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The retail environment right now is awful. Lot's of people are migrating to internet shopping. Combine that with the fact that people are having to spend more of their income on fuel, and the rise in cost of other staples due to the rise in fuel costs and you can see why so many retailers are going under.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5787
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's tough for a retailer to afford those outrageous Royal Oak taxes and rents during tough times. Royal Oak got a little too big for its britches a little too fast. They will be forced to look at becoming more business friendly. Many businesses would love to locate there if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Bob

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge makes an excellent point.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Record Time was still around. I haven't been to Sam's Jams in a long while either.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5788
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case anybody was wondering, AJ's Cafe is now officially in the Guinness Book of World Records for hosting the longest continual singing of "Danny Boy" during this past St. Patrick weekend. :-)

It got coverage in the goofy news around the world.

http://ukpress.google.com/arti cle/ALeqM5jopMWzWOyijLjIH2Mcx1 _lYUeGiA

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey.. not sure if you were serious.. but Sam's Jams is history. Has been for about a decade or so.

Record Time will be missed. I hope the Roseville location will survive.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale's Downtown is in the best shape since it was built. The retail vacancy rates are at all time lows...plus CD's are the new 8-tracks.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think RT closing is more about the switch from CDs to digital more than anything else. I've not bought a CD in 3 years, but I've bought plenty from iTunes.

I don't feel bad about not supporting a business that sells something I don't want or have need for. That, as sad as it is, is life. Different story if it's stuff I need (had an awesome experience at Detroit Pen and Camera the other day).

What's the story behind RO taxes? I'm just curious.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketeevee, I'm never serious.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, The "Danny Boy" marathon got press here in NYC. I heard the Ferndale "Danny Boy" marathon mentioned twice on the radio and read another mention of the marathon in a NY Daily News article just before St. Pat's day. The name of the bar wasn't given just the location--Detroit area/Ferndale.

It was funny as there were a couple of New York Irish establishments looking to ban "Danny Boy" from their bars as they felt the song was too depressing for St. Patrick's Day.

Glad they succeeded to make the Guinness Book of World Records.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think the "boutique shopping" that is Royal Oak and now Ferndale is ghastly.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Old Navy site is Ferndale's hulking eyesore at the moment ... but I'm sure it'll be filled before too long. Ferndale's other glaring eyesore is an old Toyota Corolla tooling the streets at dawn, looking for an angry fix.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In case anybody was wondering, AJ's Cafe is now officially in the Guinness Book of World Records for hosting the longest continual singing of "Danny Boy" during this past St. Patrick weekend."

wow, that was fast! usually takes Guinness longer to certify the record.

Was talking to the DDA director for Ferndale recently, there is a really cool pan-Asian restaurant going in on 9 Mile where the Coffee Beanery used to be.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5791
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even Granholm participated in the Danny Boy-a-thon for a round or two. Great marketing. AJ obviously has much better business sense than.. Well, I won't talk bad about a nice guy. But the locations of the stars in the sky aren't the best decision making guides if you ask me.

Ferntruth, that sounds great. Now if they would only deliver. I've been dying for some Chinese delivery in the area.

I'm surprised nobody was curious about my W.A.B. statement... Billiards anyone?

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, yeah, the WAB/Emory people are opening a billiards joint. Not a state secret.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fifth Avenue Ferndale?

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, yeah, the WAB/Emory people are opening a billiards joint. Not a state secret"

MEOW!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5631
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed disappearing storefronts on Nine Mile for a good five years already in both Macomb and Oakland Counties. Ditto for the older machine shops that probably were Tier 3s or 4s a decade ago or whenever they last were in business. But that's happening most everywhere in the Tri Counties...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.