Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Good urban living options for dog owners « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm considering moving to downtown Detroit/Midtown/New Center etc. but I have a dog. I'd prefer loft living style but am open to other options. I'd prefer a more urban area over something like Indian Village or East English Village. Are there any good areas/buildings for dog owners? It's particularly important that the area around my place be one that I can walk the dog in without worrying about crime or broken glass or other similar problems.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend Corktown very walkable low crime and rarely glass. I have owned a dog here for 3 years and find it to be one of the most walkable areas. Check out the Grinnel lofts or www.oconnordetroit.com. Lots of dog friendly places if you are willing to pay more if you are looking to stay for cheap from what I have found it is slim pickings.

Sparty06

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many dog owners in the Kales Building. They are often out in Grand Circus Park.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sparty,
I live in Woodbridge right by the Wayne State athletic fields with lots of open green space and a very lovely neighborhood to walk through. Several of my neighbors have dogs, we have a gated courtyard behind my building. Check my place out, it's for sale...
http://www.oconnordetroit.com/ properties/condo/5217_comm/1.h tm

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, East English Village, gets My vote.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you are worried about crime, I would say midtown / wayne state area (south of 94, north of mack). their police don't mess around. most of the street people i have talked to know that the wayne state police are not to be tested. plus you have the dog park - urban style on cass. I have a dog and live in a loft in midtown. it can be a pain taking her down multiple times a day, but it makes sure you get exercise and I have never felt unsafe at night. a townhome in lafeyette park would also be nice, urban, and convenient with a dog. i wouldn't let the fear of crime discourage you from looking at other areas. along the river might be good too because of the riverwalk. good luck. you will quickly meet many others with dogs downtown if you spend one sat. morning at caninetofive. make the move!

(Message edited by lo_to_d on March 26, 2008)

Mudmarker
Username: Mudmarker

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge

Virgochick
Username: Virgochick

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at the Lofts of Merchant's Row and they allow dogs. I walked them over to the library to go potty. Unfortunately, I was one of few that picked up after my dog. Regardless, I love to walk my dogs downtown and on the Riverwalk.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought you were looking into lafayette park two days ago?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact Margaret Palmer, www.margaretpalmer.com, at (313) 832-2286. She is our real-estate agent and we were looking for many of the same things you are looking for now in regards to urban living with dog options. Margaret works out of Midtown and has been a real-estate agent specializing in the city for more than a decade. She handles both home sales and rentals and she is more than knowledgeable enough that she can pretty much find you whatever kind of place you're looking for. She'll get you a good price, make sure all of the details are taken care of and won't pressure you to make a move.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on how 'urban' you want to get, you might want to try River Park Lofts (Iron St. Lofts):
http://www.modeldmedia.com/nei ghborhoods/placestomove/riverp ark.aspx

They are def. the most true lofts that I have ever seen--very rough. Across from them is Mt. Elliott Park on the riverfront.

Sparty06

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Sparty06

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like my main worry is living in a neighborhood where I'm going to feel uncomfortable if I need to let the dog out after dark. What do other pet owners living in the city do about this problem?

(Message edited by sparty06 on April 06, 2008)

Sparty06

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of my immediate neighbors in Lafayette Park have dogs. They walk them in the park or around the community after dark. There are lots of neighbors out walking their dogs at various times.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are at least 3 dogs at the Ellington that I know of. There is a nice, well lit walk-way behind the building with security cameras. It never feels unsafe at night. Plus there are 25+ units of housing that overlook the area.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sparty, do you mean, let them out in your backyard after dark? i live in woodbridge and my dogs do their final business after dark, in our backyard. We're next to an alley, so people walk by occasionally and my dogs just bark at them.

if you have dogs that you are afraid that people will steal, well then make certain your yard is fenced well. If you have puppies, don't let them out unsupervised (they may be coaxed away easier).

Sparty06

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's not really about dogs I'm worried people will steal. It's more of a question of being in a more urban neighborhood than woodbridge and worrying about crime. For example, I've heard from people who live in the lofts on woodward that they've witnessed stabbings outside their windows in the back alley. If I had a pet and needed to let it out late at night this is definitely something I'd worry about.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, imo, having a dog in a high rise or loft is no fun anyway. for you, or more importantly, the dog.

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are tons of dog owners at the Lofts at Rivertown. There is a dog walk area right next to the property. As for security, there's a gate house right next to the dog walk and it's manned 24 hours a day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.