Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DEMF 2008 « Previous Next »
DEMF 2008?(Detroit electronic music festival)Lifeinmontage04-07-08  1:54 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thus far . . .

ALEX UNDER –live
ALTON MILLER
BENNY BENASSI
BUZZ GOREE
CARL CRAIG
CASSY
COBBLESTONE JAZZ –live
COOL KIDS –live
DBX –live
DUBFIRE
EGYPTIAN LOVER –live
GIRL TALK –live
GUILLAUME & THE COUTU DUMONTS -live
HALF HAWAII –live
JAMES ZABIELA
JORIS VOORN –live
KONRAD BLACK
MATHIAS KADEN –live
MIKE GRANT
MINX
MOBY -dj set
NEWCLEUS -live
SPEEDY J -live with Scott Pagano VJ
TECH ITCH
TERRENCE PARKER
ZIP

Can't say I'm thrilled about Benassi or Moby. DBX, Speedy J, Carl Craig and Alex Under will hopefully make up for it.

They are selling early birds for a whopping $40, a lot of us guessing they will cost $60 at the gate.

I've also heard they are bringing back the underground stage this year.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not thrilled about Benassi??? Bigger names are good for the show sometimes...bring in Daft Punk...and you will pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into the Detroit Economy

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, no rumour. it's on the demf.com website

the lineup that is.

(Message edited by adamjab19 on March 25, 2008)

Traxus

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will forever associate Benassi with dancing burgers.

Satisfaction is a bangin song but I don't need the branding, thank you.

Daft punk will never play DEMF, (in the near future atlesast) there setup would never fit in the hart, and they are way too expensive of an act to book.

Per usual, everyone has their fingers crossed for Kraftwerk as well, since they are touring in the US this spring ($204 for general admission! but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

I have half a brain to go see them at cochella, I've got a feeling they won't be around much longer.

D_mcc

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw DP at cochella in Miami, it was AMAZING...I imagine them setting up something in Hart smaller than the Pyramid...but still worthy of them, with the crowds back to the River...that show would light up the riverfront like nothing before it...

Traxus

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm upset I didn't see them in Chicago or Toronto last summer, they aren't touring this year.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Kraftwerk came, that set coupled with GirlTalk would bring in music fans like myself who are not huge on Techno. (fingers crossed)

Traxus

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraftwerk is a 2 Million dollar production, they pack their own stage, with their own security guards. That (along with the hype) is probably why its a $204 ticket in Milwaukee.

I'm hoping all the same though.

Traxus

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake, its $35, maybe this will happen!

D_mcc

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traxus...I'm a huge fan of DP...but I cannot fathom how they put that show on. I know they use designated servers and processor trucks...but it boggles my mind...any insight?

(Message edited by D_mcc on March 25, 2008)

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girl Talk is a great act to see live but I wonder how well it will translate to a large outdoor venue.

As for Daft Punk, at Coachella in 2006, they put on the best live set I have ever seen (I too though don't expect them to play DEMF anytime soon though).

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for my 8th year in a row to attend. Screw the haters. I love Memorial Day weekend in the D.

Traxus

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shot an email to their promoter awhile ago, or at least the 'Bring Daft Punk to Detroit' facebook group said he was their promoter...

Anyhow, I suggested they try to do it at Bert's warehouse, It's the only venue that could possibly fathom their setup and crowd unless they did the show in one of the sports arenas. Their Pyramid/ triangle light whatever wall has got to be at least 3 stories tall.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only way I'm going is if The Chemical Brothers play.

D_mcc

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trax...it could fit in hart...

its the width im concerned with

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i haven't gone in a few years since it stopped being free and they stopped bringing a few hip-hop acts

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made the trip to Toronto to see Daft Punk last summer - it was totally worth it!

Traxus

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the width as well, its just that if you move the setup inside you've got to worry about the ceiling.

Maybe Cobo?

BTW, I've also heard that the minus crew will be in the tent again, rich will probably close out the fest there (no suprise here)

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited for Dubfire.

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc how did you see Daft Punk at Coachella in Miami? Coachella is in Cali. Traxxus how can you say outside of arenas the only place in Detroit that Daft Punk could play is Bert's. That place isn't even that big, it fits 2000 tops. Outside of the arenas, the Fillmore would be the best fit. Kraftwerk played there back in 2005. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Daft Punk play this year at the fest. Watch.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES, pretty solid lineup, for sure going to make it for the 5th straight year! RAVE!

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Sunday May 25, 2008 Shake it Down makes its return to Detroit. Going off of the success of last year’s event, this year’s event promises to be bigger and better than last years.The location will be at the legendary Majestic Theater in beautiful midtown Detroit. Artists include: K Fresh of Rensoul Detroit, Levagood’s Frankie Banks, Protekted Record’s P Live, Miami’s legendary and controversial 2 Live Crew, Spank Rock DJ's Devlin and Darko of the Baltimore Bass Connection, Starsky and Clutch (Gillespie and Osborne)and finally Stones Throw Records founder Peanut Butter Wolf. The show starts at 9 pm and ends at 4 am. Tickets are $20 in advance or with proof of DEMF admission and $25 at the door. Temporary flyer artwork done by Allison Vince.

(Message edited by detroitwhat on March 26, 2008)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 Live Crew are still touring??

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love love love Girl Talk

Traxus

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More added to the lineup

Expanded Line-Up

Alex Smoke -live
Alex Under -live
Alland Byallo
Benny Benassi
Carl Craig
Cobblestone Jazz -live
Davide Squillace
DBX -live
Deadmau5 -live
Deepchord presents Echospace -live
Derek Plaslaiko
Derrick Thompson
Dieselboy & MC Messinian
Dubfire
Egyptian Lover -live
Electrobounce.com presents DATABASS ghetto tech
Eric Johnston -live
Girl Talk –live
Guillaume & the Coutu Dumonts -live
Half Hawaii

Heartthrob -live
James Zabiela
Jerry Abstract
Joris Voorn -live
Josh Wink
Justin Kruse aka Kruse Kontrol
Justin Long
Konrad Black
Lee Burridge
Magda
Marco Carola
Mathias Kaden -live
Matthew Hawtin
Mike Grant
Mike Huckaby
Minx
Moby –dj set
Newcleus –live
Par Grindvik -live
Paul Ritch -live
Peanut Butter Wolf
Pete Rock
Reggie "Hotmix" Harrell
Richie Hawtin
Shawn Michaels
Soundmurderer
Speedy J -live
Tech Itch
Terrence Parker
The Cool Kids -live
Tycho -live
Zip

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a stupid question, but what does "live" mean when referring to these electronic music acts? It's not like they are lip syncing when its "not" live. I have never been able to understand this or get a good explanation. Hoping to get a little insight from the technorati here.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live is when the artist plays only their songs/remixes of their songs.

A DJ set is when they spin other people's songs and probably throw in a few of their own and mix it accordingly.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live means they use real instruments like keyboards, sequencers, drum machines, keytars, effects etc., just like a band would use drums, guitars, etc. They can perform their music (which is the case most of the time) or other people's. They do not use records in a live set. Looks into electronic music instruments.

A DJ set is simply that, either using records and/or CD's, maybe DAT's.

Go check out the fest Gianni, you might like it.

Traxus

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Live means an act performed on keyboards, drum machines etc... DJ means playing records, songs from a laptop etc...

More locals added to lineup BTW:

-AARON-CARL FEAT. VERONIQUE & DJ E. DUBB
ALEX SMOKE -live
ALEX UNDER -live
ALLAND BYALLO
-ALTON MILLER
BENNY BENASSI
-BIG JOE HIX
-BRIAN KAGE & LUKE HESS "REFERENCE"
CARL CRAIG -live
-CASSY
COBBLESTONE JAZZ -live
-DARKCUBE
DAVIDE SQUILLACE
DBX -live
DEADMAU5 -live
DEEPCHORD PRESENTS ECHOSPACE -live
DEREK PLASLAIKO
DERRICK THOMPSON AKA DRIVETRAIN
DIESELBOY & MC MESSINIAN
-DREW POMPA
DUBFIRE
EGYPTIAN LOVER -live
ELECTROBOUNCE.COM PRESENTS DATABASS GHETTO TECH
ERIC JOHNSTON -live
-GABE REAL
GIRL TALK -live
GUILLAUME & THE COUTU DUMONTS -live
HALF HAWAII -live
HEARTHROB -live
JAMES ZABIELA
JERRY ABSTRACT
JORIS VOORN -live
-JOSH DAHLBERG -live
JOSH WINK
JUSTIN KRUSE AKA KRUSE KONTROL
JUSTIN LONG
-KEVIN SAUNDERSON
KONRAD BLACK
LEE BURRIDGE
MAGDA
MARCO CAROLA
MATHIAS KADEN -live
MATTHEW HAWTIN
-MICHAEL GEIGER
MIKE GRANT
MINX
MOBY
-MR. DE'
NEWCLEUS -live
-OSCAR MULERO
PAR GRINDVIK -live
PAUL RITCH -live
PEANUT BUTTER WOLF
PETE ROCK
REGGIE "HOTMIX" HARRELL
-REX SEPULVEDA -live
RICH HAWTIN
-RICH KORACH
-SHAWN MICHAELS
SOUNDMURDERER
SPEEDY J -live W/ SCOTT PAGANO VJ
-STACEY PULLEN
-T LINDER
TECH ITCH
TERRENCE PARKER
THE COOL KIDS -live
-TWONZ
TYCHO -live
ZIP

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know yet when girl talk and/or benny benassi are supposed to play? the paxahau press releases don't have them listed on any of the stages yet (although there are 5 slots "to be confirmed")

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/04-09-2008/00047896 52&EDATE=
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/04-15-2008/00047933 48&EDATE=
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/04-21-2008/00047967 47&EDATE=

also, do you guys have any suggestions of other acts to see? i'm (somewhat) new to this.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deepchord is stellar..but I'd be careful of getting to close to Rod Modell...Modell is the kind of guy you don't laugh at all the way just in case he really is crazy. We all wanna be entertained, but nobody wants to get stabbed in the head with a screwdriver."

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Ass Mutha Fu*&in School Electro: NEWCLEUS - PUSH THE BUTTON

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.