Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Safety in Lafayette Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm considering moving to this area in the future and was wondering about safety in the area. Is it ok to walk around in the evening/during the day/ at off peak hours? Also, what kind of vandalism/home theft statistics are available? I know robberies/theft will always be present in any city but is Lafayette Park particularly prone to these problems or is better off? Any information on the neighborhood would be appreciated.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

join this group and read the back postings.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ LafayetteParkSecurityUpdates/

you can also check on the detroit police department's website now. the only crimes I've heard about within lafayette park are property crimes.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That yahoo group would be a good source. It's better off in my opinion having lived here for four years I find it very livable and enjoyable. Though I haven't had any direct crime incidences there have been some auto break in/theft and other 'minor' crimes that I'm aware of. I do recommend this neighborhood to my friends and family. Soon the Dequindre Cut Greenway will be complete giving this area unique access to the East Riverwalk and Eastern Market.

Sparty06

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can one own a dog/cat in the coops or the towers? Do people in lafayette park generally "feel safe" walking around at night etc.?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in The Pavilion Apartments in LP for almost three years and feel safe. It's probably one of the safest neighborhoods in Detroit. It's also beautiful, especially as everything turns green and starts blooming. The diverse group of people take pride in the neighborhood. I just wish the owners of Shapero Hall would do something with it instead of letting it rot and I wish they would fix the street lights on Rivard.

Wood

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no dogs in the towers, but dogs are allowed in the coop townhouses.

there is private security at night; people walk around safely at all hours of the day. you can walk to get pizza, thai, soul food, and soon (April?) groceries without crossing a street. kids can attend the excellent elementary school without crossing a street. it's a ten minute walk to campus martius.

and it is so, so beautiful in the summer.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can own cats in the towers.
My wife has lived here for over ten years and loves it. i moved here when we got married in 04.
We walk the park during the day and early evening in the summer. There are a lot of people there walking dogs feeding the birds. There are the homeless people sometimes but they never bother us.

Sparty06

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayllik, how would you feel about walking the park later in the evening?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty, The glass Mies van der Rohe townhouses are all coops which will require a somewhat large down-payment to get into plus monthly fees in addition to whatever your mortgage payment might be. 1300 is also a coop. The 3 glass towers are rental. To me, both the coop fees and the rents seem to be reasonable.

In the time I've lived here, I have not personally experienced any crime; however car theft is a problem. It seems to come and go.

I frequently jog in the park, often after dark, and have never been bothered. I also regularly walk to and from the CBD, day and evening, and have never been bothered. We have a private security patrol, and a good deal of (ascetically tasteful, of course :-)) security lighting.

There are occasional tours offered of the Lafayette Park community if you want a more in-depth, inside look at the neighborhood.

Tayllik

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be Honest I have never been to the park at night and I'm unsure if I ever will. I do know that on the night of the fireworks many residents BBQ, and camp out at the park assume it has a good view of the show. We can see it on the upper floors of the tower.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can a brother get an apartment down there for 600 bucks or less?

Tayllik

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be Honest I have never been to the park at night and I'm unsure if I ever will. I do know that on the night of the fireworks many residents BBQ, and camp out at the park assume it has a good view of the show. We can see it on the upper floors of the tower.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in Lafayette park for two years now (currently at The Pavilion), and I have no plans to leave anytime soon. This neighborhood is loaded with great people who take pride in our community.

My girlfriend is from a small town and was intimidated by the big city at first. Now she just loves it here. She is even comfortable to walk alone after dark to get pizza or whatever. We often take walks in the park or over to the ballparks (5min), greektown (5 min), or campus martius (10min).

No lie, in the two years I have lived in Lafayette Park, I have never heard the random gun shots that detroit is famous for or seen a single crime. I know it happens, but it is not common here. There is something really special about this place. Now if we can just get the Paris Cafe opened back up!

Wood

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whether it's safe to walk around in a public park after dark seems like a strange criteria for someone interested in moving somewhere. would you not move to the upper east side of manhattan because people get mugged in central park at night?

that said, I walk through the plaisance all the time after dark (4-5 times a week). I walk home from late tigers games in the summer. what more do you want to hear?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well considering that parks are often a prime source for muggings because they are usually vacant at night, I think comfort there is a good tool for measuring the neighborhoods feelings.

Sparty06

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks... I understand that safety is an issue in any big city park but if I were living in a townhome I'd like to know that I could get home from work late... park safely and walk to my unit etc. without fear of a mugging. Is it possible to lease a townhome or are they only available for purchase?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty, in theory it's possible to lease a townhouse; but in practice it rarely happens. Each coop would have its own regulations so I certainly can't speak for the whole neighborhood; but in my coop, I can think of only one unit that was leased for one year and that was over ten years ago. Any prospective leasee would have to pass muster with the coop board. I believe that we, as a coop, want to remain a neighborhood of owners, with the commitment that that requires, rather that a neighborhood of tenants.

Sparty06

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting and makes sense.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty-I would start with a rental to "test the waters." Like I said the Pavilion is great, (where I live). If you use me as a reference, I will split the referral money with you. :-) E-mail me at bchamburger@aol.com if you decide to go in and tour or if you have any other questions. The nice thing about the Pavilion is that it's on the west side of the park which means you are about 5-10 minutes closer in walk time to Greektown/downtown. Lafayette Towers is the sister property to The Pavilion, it's just further away from the CBD.

Detroitstar-I live in The Pavilion too. What floor are you on?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on 14, facing North. you?

I just got word that someone down the hall with a south view is leaving soon. I wonder what it would take to get them to allow me to move to that unit?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 facing north. Good luck, the south view is more expensive. Are you in a studio?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just moved out of the lafayette towers this weekend and i'm really going to miss it. it is truly one of the best communities in the city.

lafayette park is one of the safest places in the city that i've found. nobody really knows it's there, so nobody really goes into it besides residents. mrs. rsa and i used to take a blanket out in the park at night and enjoy the weather (lafayette residents like the brag that they have the largest back yard in the city). we were never bothered by anyone. in fact, rarely did we see anyone at all. i'm trying not to get offended by the question, because it's just a knee-jerk reaction and it's a valid question. but really, why would people live anywhere if they can't go from their car to their door without the worry of getting mugged? i think you'd actually have to specifically look for that situation to find it.

so sparty; the lafayette park area is a wonderful community to start off in the d. you'll find people you're own age and residents that have been there for 20 years. it's safe, clean, and great proximity to everything. good luck!

[ps. i'm pretty sure none of the townhouse co-ops allows renters.]

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea Cmubryan, I am in a studio (08 floorplan). I'm a young guy with not a lot of stuff so it only made sense to go for the smaller place. I think I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger place though.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leland Lofts are in Lafayette Park and some people are starting to have babies and move to bigger places so some of their units are available for lease. I live there and I find it convenient how close it is to everything. All of the people in the building are very cool as well.

here is one of my neighbor's ads from craigslist:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ apa/593398009.html

If you look on craigslist for Leland Lofts, there are other units for sale who's owners might consider leasing as well.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice, other side of the hallway. I am in a 16. I'm starting to outgrow mine too but really don't want to pay more for a one bed.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about the only place i would avoid is Parc Lafayette, because the exteriors and grounds do not appear well maintained compared to everything else in the area, hope i didn't offend anyone. Windsor tower was recently spruced up but i have no idea what it is like on the inside or the residents, this is next to Parc Lafayette.

here a neat place, but its for sale.
http://www.vasileffrealtydetro it.com/TOWNPARKCOOPERATIVE.htm
the one for 80 would go for less too!
The Leland Lofts are also neat and there is a new loft project at Jay and Orleans too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.