Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sala Thai EM Broken into Again...Happy Holiday? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11917
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Eastern Market location was burglarized some time this morning.

I came home near noon, and didn't see anything amiss, but didn't look very closely at the side door. Unless I see people or have another purpose, I tend not to look at structural and building details.

My friend just called as she was driving away from the loft, and said there were three cop cars answering an apparent break-in.

I am encouraged that this place warranted such a police response on a holiday Sunday morning. To be fair, the third was a traffic enforcement car that just went on his way, but he was clearly driving slow enough to look for discarded clues.

I might have to go for a walk myself.

I'll get more of the story later, but it looks like the criminals are still pretty good at knowing when businesses are closed and relatively easy pickings. Makes me re-think a few things from that thread discussion about coffeeshop business hours...

This is the second break-in there in three years, as far as I know...but the other one was over the summer. Wonder if they ever found that perp, or perps.

Looks like they used the same exact way to get into the building. Dunno how Sala Thai made that ingress more difficult after that first invasion...in my experience, they DO come back usually when insurance has had time to cover any loss.

Things are getting tighter and tighter, people more desperate. Everyone I talk with senses a similar thing here in the city. Don't want this to be a hot summer, and God help us if something snaps to cause unrest...whether from this Kwame debacle or some larger working against Obama nationally. Both could push the populace another degree over boil.

It is time to install security cameras around the perimeter of the loft. I was hoping to not have to go to this expense and difficulty. I had also gotten lazy unpacking my car at night from our meagerly 'gated' parking lot. (I've never had trouble breaching it when necessary) No more.

At least I'll be able to track the few lazy-ass firemen who seem to think blowing their siren at five a.m. is a fine way to wake the night mechanic! (ALL of the rest of them get off their butts and walk in the door, then open the garage.) That'll be worth the cost of the cameras and hard drive security server!

Cheers, somehow. Life in the City.

(Message edited by Gannon on March 23, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4866
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Omega Man

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacoby's was hit Friday, in the daytime. The manager and an employee caught a guy in the basement trying to hide after breaking out a door and stealing several bottles of booze.
The unbelievable part is that the employees dragged him upstairs and held him while they called the cops - THREE times - and waited for about an hour before they showed up. They say the dining room was full and the customers applauded when the cops finally showed up to take the scumbag away.
The REALLY unbelievable part is that the manager said the police detective who interviewed her pushed her really hard to drop charges because the guy was homeless (and she had her doubts about that, given how he was dressed) and the cops didn't want to spend time in court over it. She refused and said she'd do whatever she had to to get him off the streets.
Can you imagine? Just let him go, and hope he doesn't do it again?
Well, it's good to hear that Sala Thai had a better experience.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about all that Gannon. Don't let this get the best of you and your imagination. The world will not come apart over this, regardless of a hot summer, Kwame, et al.

Gannon

Post Number: 11932
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,

If I sign off with cheers, I've still got some imagination left! Of course the world isn't coming apart over this tiny symptom. Doesn't mean it is NOT coming apart, though, either.

Cheers, really!

Gannon

Post Number: 11939
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They didn't go in the same way, upon closer inspection.

Could've been a simple vandalism, we've had a few here, including one of my windows.

Don't think so, because the two cars that waited until the restaurant responded.

Bullet, this isn't my imagination. I walk these streets every day. It won't keep me from running my life, nor enjoying it in any way.

I will be more aware...perhaps. The cameras will help.

Gannon

Post Number: 12331
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sala Thai was broken into yet AGAIN the other night.

At 2:30 in the morning, once again asleep in my reading chair...I awoke to a ka-thump! and crash.

Sounded like a rock being punched through a car window, but as I looked out into their parking lot I saw nothing...no cars, no movement.

Nothing to explain the noise, except the often loud firefolk maintenance people across the street...and their doors were closed.

With the return of daylight, I wandered outside and saw the cause of the noise...Sala Thai's REAR window was on the ground.

Talking with one of the construction fellows I've made friends with over the past few years here...I just learned that their sidewalk was tagged with a gang-sign.

Right about the time Eastern Market's security has been reduced due to cost?! I overheard that they stopped patrolling from 3 until 6 in the morning...what in the heck were they thinking?

Ain't no criminals out at that time of day, now, are there?!

Time to effect phase two of my security plans...I don't want to see an escalation but I've got to defend my cave.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, what is your relation to SalaThai? Do you live in the FD lofts, do you own SalaThai? Just curious. Thanks! And i'm very sorry to hear about the problems with crime right now. Sala Thai is a treasure. I love that place. - Andy

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The economy is tight everywhere. Do you really think there could be riots this summer? If so, the riots won't have the same effects as the 1967 riots. Too many people are fed up with that kind of destructive behavior.

Gannon

Post Number: 12333
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a concerned neighbor and frequent customer.

Gaz, people don't think about the results of their destruction, that is why it happens.

I am concerned about the increasing gang signs down Mack, around the apartments at Mack and I-75, and all up and down the Russell strip, especially that alley between Gratiot and the freeway exit.

I was followed for three blocks by two nefarious looking young men when I walked from the bus at Woodward the other day. While they may have been enticed by my backpack, for whatever reason they turned away.

Perhaps my being aware of their casing me out and my lack of fear of their presence bored them. Plus, I was carrying a pretty hefty tripod and kept my right hand in my coat pocket.

They never know what you might be carrying in there...hints from a tough attorney I met named Starkey who never carried fewer than four weapons on his person!

Cheers, seriously. Be aware, not afraid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.