Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Doors Open Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 830
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like your guys opinions on if you think a Doors Open Detroit event could be pulled off.
Doors Open events are very famous in Ontario including Windsor. Basically it is a weekend where buildings open their doors to the public, and offer tours or just let people walk around.

They idea is to get people to learn about the history of their city and landmarks, etc.

I always thought Detroit would be a great place for this, given the amazing amount of great buildings, adn also the potential many posses.

I was thinking of drawing up a quick little Doors Open Detroit plan, and presenting it to Preservation Wayne.

What do you guys think? Would building owners work with a preservation agency to open buildings for a day or weekend?

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 23, 2008)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see security being a major issue in some areas, but it would be a cool idea. I'd definitely make the trip downtown if there was a decent list of buildings opened up.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4865
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like a great publicity stunt. It would create a hospitable impression.

It could be similar to trick-or-treating on Halloween or how some companies have open house days so friends and family of employees can tour their workplace. By synchronizing it so everyone does it on the same day, people could conveniently visit neighboring buildings too.

Of course it would have to be voluntary. The participants could display a certain logo at their door.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes each building would have a common banner for that day.

That is how it works in Toronto. With a printed booklet that lists all the participating buildings and directions to get there, plus a map.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6594
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike - I'm on the organizing committee for Windsor's '08 event.

The idea of a partnership with Detroit has been floated about. But I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. The Windsor event is scheduled for Sunday September 28th.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a great idea for Detroit.

By chance, I was in Toronto a number of years ago on the Doors Open day. I visited a number of buildings and marvelled how low-key and pleasurable it was.

Preservation Wayne would be the perfect umbrella-group to organize it.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i lived in toronto, during doors open I got into some neat private buildings. It is a great way to show beauty that is often under lock and key.

But I agree with the fact that Canadians are less concerned with security aspects as many government buildings were on the tour.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a good opportunity for us photo heads to get some snap time. When is it, and what buildings will be included? Is it free? Any thing we can do to help? Will it be BYOB?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody interested in making this happen, please contact me at...

development@detroitsynergy.org

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a member of Cityscape Detroit (CityscapeDetroit.org) and i'm sure we would be more than interested in participating in this event. This is a great idea, and excellent opportunity to expose our great City!! Detroit Synergy would be great as well!!

Miketoronto

Post Number: 834
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitmaybe. Send me your email address to

michaelb_@hotmail.com

and I will be contact with you and Sharmaal in the next day or so.

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 23, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groovy baby!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also another organisation that would be willing to help facilitate something like this might be Detroit Synergy. http://www.detroitsynergy.org/ They of course won't organise the event themselves, but have many connections, resources and manpower to make ideas become reality.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...that sounds like a great idea

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not gotten any communication from anyone that is interested making this happen. Has it gotten caught in my spam filter?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.