Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Salt Mines? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Belbell777
Username: Belbell777

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is history of the mine on the Rearview mirror in the detroit news. they do not have tours anymore because of insurance reasons. my dad, uncles cousins worked there. i toured the mine years ago.the mine is running under a new company. lots of pics on rearview mirror.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5568
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were many threads on this. Try the search engine.

No tours. Insurance reasons. Besides, there rarely are more than ten miners down there at any given time, as they have three ten-man crews.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found them...

Thanks!

I did a search and all I got was the rock salt shortage this winter. Oh well...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a rock-salt shortage is good news for the Detroit salt mine because its higher shipping cost would otherwise price its salt so that a much less profit would be made. Cleveland and Windsor can use cheaper water shipping than Detroit. It was a major mistake locating the mine as they did a bit over a hundred years ago.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband's uncle retired from Windsor Salt years ago. I know they used to give tours so I wrote to them to ask if they were still available. Here's the reply:

"Unfortunately, we must advise you that we do not provide open tours of our mines / facilities due to insurance / liability issues."

So guess that's pretty much common nowadays!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.