Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Small Explosion on People Mover Track? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was about 2:30pm and I'm sitting at Vicente's looking out toward the People Mover. I then see and hear a small explosion radiating from the track where Library and Farmer meet. There was also a flock of seagulls circling around it. I wonder what happened? Transformer explosion?

I haven't seen a train pass since...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 638
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did it surprise you enough that you Ran.. Ran... So Far Away...?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many will get that reference Digitalvision.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did a scrapper get fried on the third rail?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody threw a bag of fries on the third rail? :-)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flock of seagulls...and i ran...har har har

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you get away ?

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laugh it up, funny guys.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for my mid-afternoon "almost pissing myself laugh session."

Duran-Duran might be in town. They have been known to be mistaken for a Flock of Seagulls!!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha ha...as soon as I read that digital vision, I thought of the wedding singer:

"Do you like flock of seagulls?"

"No, but I can see you do"

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! What a great thread. Post #1, an explosion on the People Mover (maybe). Posts 2,3,6,7,8,9,10: Reference to 1980s weird-haircut bands.

I'm trying to cover both sections so here goes:

1. We referred to the band mentioned here as "a flock of haircuts". One of several bands of that day who'd have got absolutely nowhere except for the existence of MTV.

2. No idea about any explosion. (Weak, yeah, but that's all I have.)

Prof. Scott

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I'll never want for 1980s references, all thanks to the Internet. Speaking of which, wasn't that a minor hit for AFOS? "Telecommunication"?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I myself was always a fan of Haircut 100. The name of the band, that is, not necessarily their music.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love! Love! Love + 1!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ghost of the Hudson's building exerting more revenge for getting torn down, perhaps. (The first revenge was when a column fell on the track during implosion, putting it out of service for months).

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Brunsie...I am glad Hudson's was removed for development to be replaced by a lot with exposed W-beams...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11769
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an explosion once on the DPM track while living at Riverfront. They sent a guy out to inspect the track, and the train was down for several hours while they were out there working on the spot, with a welder if I recall.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode the People Mover at 5:30 p.m. and all seemed fine.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt- Was Vicente's busy in the middle of the day? I haven't been there since it opened.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that he wasn't allowed to drive with that haircut:

e

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11911
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw the Duran Duran May 15 sign in front of Masonic last night. Eerie.

Haircut 100's one-album wonder, their first and only if I remember correctly, sold a whole bunch of hifi for me. That was an incredible recording for cheap pop, something about the use of those horns helped soften the jumpy rhythms.

Although, lots of us didn't mind the hopped-up electro-beat back in the Miami Vice '80s.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People Mover isn't the New York City subway, it doesn't have a third rail nor do the cars have motors in the common sense.

The car itself is part of the motor - it is in effect the rotor, while the wide center strip between the track is the stator.

The car (rotor) pulls itself along the center strip (stator) just like a conventional motor, but the motion is linear not circular.

Bob Cosgrove

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was about DETROIT, not Iran!

http://iranssofaraway.ytmnd.co m/

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally off PM topic -

Several years ago (2000ish?) A Flock of Seagulls was with a few other bands at Pine Knob. Lets just say middle age was NOT kind to Mike Score at all. Plus they played "I Ran" twice. The second time was just bad. Very very bad.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's sadder, the fact that A Flock of Seagulls is still performing, or the fact that you probably paid around 30 bucks to see A Flock of Seagulls....

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a vintage group poster of A Flock Of Seagulls, in mint condition, and sold it last year at auction on eBay for a tidy profit to a company located in Hong Kong, of all places.

Should have asked them what they wanted it for, a sales motivational tool??

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 639
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was looking through my photos as I was downtown yesterday and found that yes, there was a flock of seagulls near Vincentes! They got on at the Cadillac Square station.

A Flock of Seagulls in Detroit

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clipping

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CD: You rule. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.