Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » C-Mart Fountains under repair « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Know it's needed but still a bummer to see them off. Better now than the summer, though. I always wondered how much maintenance is needed with that stuff. Looks like they're building a whole canopy for them to work under.

Campus Martius Fountain Repair Sign

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've also stripped all the marble off the fountain. Was down there last weekend, and it was all gone. Down to nuthin.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the fountain only about 4 years old? Seems kind of soon to be undertaking such extensive waterproofing repairs. Sounds and looks some serious design issues have cropped up. Wonder who is footing the repair bill. Anybody have inside (or underground) info?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't hold your breath. Seems most of the board's insiders have long since moved on.

GO DENBY TARS!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I think I get it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water features are some of the most difficult urban features to maintain, aside from the amount of work required to install them, something has to remove all the crap that lands in them, someone has to keep homeless from bathing in them, and someone has to check them to make sure that they are working properly esp. as the seasons change. That's why there are several water features in city parks that have been abandoned, most notably, the Merrill Fountain: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 1288712@N00/501693655/

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRY THIS LINK

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the rest of the park still open? I'm coming in for Opening Day and I'm curious...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't the "repair" the Merill fountain? They did the Hurlbut Gate, so why not the Merill?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's almost what I am trying to say Patrick. Sure the city could spend the money to repair an old fountain, but water features at least take seasonal maintenance, whereas the Hurlbut Gate can essentially go for another few decades before it would need another major face-lift.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11923
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was pretty clear that they used the wrong type of sealer caulk between those slabs of marble, or at least applied it incorrectly.

It was eroding the FIRST year, I'm surprised to hear it's been four...that can't be right, can it?!

I often sit and gander about the park, occasionally the ONLY person around...purgatory for a people-watcher...so the fountain became my mesmerizing focus to enjoy the passing of time.

This work probably should've been done last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they find damage beneath the slabs they weren't expecting.

Might need to find another liquid meditation focus...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed it during the last week of the ice rink being open. The rink attendant I talked to said there was some water damage/leakage in the sub-substructure and it had to be stripped down to reseal it ... or something. Made sense at the time. Anything that has water flowing over it will need a lot of maintenance, I guess.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6553
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lest we forget about the wonderful water features that never came to fruition on the Dodge Fountain in Hart Plaza. I heard it had something to do with a worker leaving a bucket in one of the pipes. Or is that an urban myth?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the rest of the park still open? I'm coming in for Opening Day and I'm curious..."

Yes, of course Palmer Park is open. The gates for the closest parking (nearest to Woodward) to the fountain have been pulled all winter, But you can park a block away near the apartments (some of which are really cool) and still see your car and walk towards the fountain, or the cabin.

If you're heading south on Woodward, just before you get to McNichols is Merrill Plaissance (limestone building with green copper roof is at the corner, just past the tennis courts). Turn right, or park on Woodward.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you meant Campus Martius being opened. Yeah it's open too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.