Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Save the Grande concert series being planned « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From http://grandenews.blogspot.com /2008/03/save-grande-concert-s eries.html

If you made it to the Grande 40th Anniversary concert in 2006 you may have met Mr.Tom Gaff.
Tom was a partner with Old Stoner Productions that put on the concert. Today, in the light of Chapel Hill Missionary Baptist Church's desire to salvage the Grande building, Tom has come up with an ambitious idea and has asked The Grandeballroom.com to pass the following information along.

Leo Early
Webmaster
www.thegrandeballroom.com

============================== ============================== =======

From the desk of Tom Gaff:

Dave Miller and I are planning a “Save The Grande” concert series at the Royal Oak Music Theater with the blessings of Uncle Russ. The profits raised from these concerts will be donated to the Chapel Hill Church to help restore the Grande Ballroom. Chapel Hill Ministries will be using the restored Grande for church functions. Dr. Smith has discussed with me possible uses such as concerts, dancing, recording studio and even a restaurant among others.

One show will feature Joe Walsh. We have talked to Joe and he is willing to play to help raise money for the Grande Ballroom restoration project. Joe will let us know when he is available after the Eagles concert tour schedule is complete. We are also contacting other Grande era musicians to see if they would be willing to play at these benefit shows.

If you would like to get involved or have a contact with any musician from the Grande era please contact me at savethegrande@sbcglobal.net or 586-215-7214.

Tom Gaff

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6530
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I have never been there, this is a wonderful idea!! It would be a win-win situation for both the Church and historic preservation of a rock culture icon!

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think Dr.Smith will let me smoke a reefer during one of his sermons?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy - Dannyv

Sneak in early and scrape the ceiling.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv...Roll another one, just like the other one...

Now listen to the Minister sing "God, Goddamn the Pusherman"...a little Steppenwolf for your morning.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've been hanging onto it
And I sure would like a hit

Hey, is there any ceiling left? Or do we float up through it to a welcoming sky.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....and now a reading from David Peel and the Lower East Side Chapter 13, Verse 13....."The Pope Smokes Dope...He Smokes It During Mass....The Pope Smokes Dope...God Gave Him the Grass."

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd forgotten those guys, Sludgedaddy. "Have a Marijuana" circa 1968.

Thanks for the nudge to my old stoner memories.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I heard some homeless-looking guys on the street in New York singing, "Legalize Marijuana." I laughed and said, hey, that's a David Peel song. One of the guys was like, "I am David Peel." Oops.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.