Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Actor Ivan Dixon passes away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7342
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? The actor that played James Kinchloe on Hogan's Heroes you say? Yes, that Ivan Dixon. And what's it doing in the Detroit section of DetroitYes?

For those of you who happen to be trivia buffs, the character who was affectionately known as "Kinch" was supposed to be from our fair city of Detroit. Above & beyond his role on that show, Ivan Dixon seemed to have a much varied, storied and decorated career as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 80319/ap_en_ce/obit_dixon

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always liked Ivan Dixon's character better than the one played by Kenneth Washington (HH 1970-71)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Completely agree! Ivan Dixon's character was far better - only he could keep the radio working for Col. Hogan!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, you know everything and everybody! I had forgotten that Kinch was from Detroit....but when I was young and watching Hogan's Heroes, it was in large part because Dixon was there, a rare black face in the pantheon of 60's television.

Rest in Peace, Ivan! Thanks so much!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7346
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen, I just know the infliuential and important people like you. Hogan's Heroes was one of those rare shows that I often look back at and wonder "How did they ever get this past the network brass?". Not only was the subject matter of POWs touchy but to couple it with Nazis as well? I'm still amazed and in an odd way, I still like the humor of the show as well.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know nothink....notttthink!"

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hogansheroesfanclub .com/castDixonIvan.php

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more amazed that the show aired in Germany.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7350
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's a lesson to be learned about us as human beings. As horrific and devastating as World War II was, and for that matter... so many other things that this world tosses at us- is there anything THAT sacred that we really shouldn't be able to smile and maybe even laugh at?

If memory serves me, some of the actors that were on the Hogan's Heroes show were of Jewish descent and had to play Nazis themselves. I vaguely remember one of them even mentioning that what better way of having a small bit of revenge than to play them as utter buffoons?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ivan Dixon also was in the original television version of "A Raisin in the Sun" . He was so very young, as the period was in the early 60s' with Ruby Dee and Sidney Portier. Great movie........Jane

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father (a WWII veteran) used to walk through the living room while "Hogan's heros" was on and mutter "the Germans weren't that stupid"

Then there is Bob Crane and his video-kink thing!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ivan Dixon was born in NY, NY. Went to high school in Durham, NC.

The Sgt. Kincheloe character was from Detroit.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If memory serves me, some of the actors that were on the Hogan's Heroes show were of Jewish descent and had to play Nazis themselves"

Robert Cleary (who played LeBeau) spent time in a concentration camp during the war. I met him once when he was here in Detroit at the Holocaust Memorial Center at the JCC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.