Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » No Worker Left Behind « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that are interested...

The State of Michigan has a program called No Worker Left Behind...in which u can get up to $5,000/year or $10,000/ 2 yrs for job/career training in any high demand, high growth field in Michigan. The program was just launched in Aug 2007, and many Michigan residents are unaware that it exists, as there are only about 10,000 residents currently enrolled, and funds have been set aside for 100,000.

These funds can be used towards any program that leads to a diploma, certification, or degree including Associates, Bachelors, or Masters programs.

The only requirement is that you are either: unemployed or make less that $40,000/yr.

This is invaluable information, and is truly an opportunity that is being underutilized. if you know of anyone that may be interested in a new career or job training they can go online to:

michigan.gov/nwlb

FYI..funds in Detroit are gone (mysteriously...lol) but, Oakland, Macomb, and most other counties still have funds available and you can sign up at any Michigan Works office.

(Message edited by detroitmaybe on March 18, 2008)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, maybe borrowing its name from the execrable No Child Left Behind program wasn't such a hot idea.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently laid off and involved in the NWLB process at the Troy Michigan Works office. It is important to reiterate that you can apply at any office, not just the one that you filed for unemployment at. I found this out on my own; it was not mentioned to me at the Ferndale office.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.