Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Police traffic enforcement on 8 mile « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question for someone knowledgable on the subject:

Are the suburban police officers allowed to ticket cars speeding on the south side (east bound) of 8 mile rd?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you speeding?

Postbop

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always speed. Don't most of us from time to time? I usually go up to 5 over, but there have been times where I've gone faster.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes- it's called the Boundry Rule. They can enforce traffic violations on either side of the street.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then go pay the ticket.

Postbop

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup- what ticket?

Dpd- are you a police officer? Does this include radar speed detection? I ask because I never see anyone on the way home from work pulled over on the Detroit side by suburban cops. I didn't know if I was crazy or if there was something to it.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just going and paying the ticket usually isn't good advise , if you received the ticket by a DPD officer chances are they won't show up in court anyway and the ticket will be dismissed . Sorry about time missed from work and parking fees .

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11832
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop,

No question, they can and do watch both sides of the street...all of them do.

I used to live near Tireman, and while the Dearborn blues watched it much more closely...you'd see Detroit's own on it regularly.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 11833
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, LIVONIA thinks I-275 is their civic ATM...or rather ATPPM, Auto-Taxation PickPocket Machine!

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you got some speed man?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can also cross jurisdiction lines to make traffic stops. I've seen Redford Police cross into Detroit on I-96 a few times.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on how well the suburbs and the city usually play with each other, I am sure a few of us were suspecting a "Dukes of Hazard"-type law enforcement boundary in Southeast Michigan.... :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastpointe, Grosse Pointe and Harper Woods does it, so I guess so...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If cops can cross the border, say from Detroit into Eastpointe to ticket a driver, then can a criminal do the same: go from Detroit into Eastpointe and rob someone? I mean fair is fair although I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it happening.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St Clair Shores/Roseville boundary on Masonic is routinely patrolled by both cities. usually the Roseville cops sit just inside the Roseville boarder and nail drivers as they speed into SCS, and vice versa. I even saw a Rosevile 5-O pull over a Smart buss once. Officer actually went inside to talk to the driver.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5706
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, try this: Drive 90mph on the Westbound side of 8 mile until, say, the Southfield police light em up after you. Then, do a quick turnaround and head Eastbound. If they follow you, they have jurisdiction. If they shrug and go home, they don't.

Let us know how it turns out!

Postbop

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that I'm not portraying myself as a speed demon. I was just curious as a light-speeder.

Raptor, but is the SCS officer hitting you with the radar gun in SCS and following you into Roseville (which I have seen too!) or is he/she able to see you speeding inside SCS somewhere and from Roseville, hit you and pull you over?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I never heard of such a thing in my 25 years in the DPD, including 6 of those years at Motor. Weren't none of us gave a clusterfuck about what happened on westbound Eight Mile. Cars kept a good set of city boundary maps (prepared by the City Engineer's Office) for when it came to accident investigation, etc. Of course, to cite an infraction that occurred within the city limits frequently saw the stop made beyond the limits for practical reasons. But that was about it. Telegraph Road up around Fenkell to Six Mile was a headache because of the strange boundaries there, whereas Tireman was the center of the roadway, as I recall.

Now, if there was a broadcast, say, of a suspect who held up a Detroit party store, and he was last seen heading west on Eight Mile, yeah, we'd mosey over to that side to eyeball traffic, but just for that purpose, not for some Mickey-Mouse five MPH over ticket.

As I've mentioned in most posts of this nature, believe me when I say that most police officers really don't like writing tickets, and are getting their fannys snapped at by the Sergeants to carry their load. There's no quota, but there is a norm, and if an officer goes a month writing only two or three tickets, he's gonna hear about it.

Now, my experiences are all back 25 years, and policing in Detroit has changed since then. With the constant radio runs todays force gets, they don't even have much time for traffic enforcement.

I now step off of my soapbox as it's time for my Geritol.

Rja2
Username: Rja2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinthewoods, I like the Cheech & Chong reference :-)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought how ironic that I've seen Eastpointe Police ticketing motorists on the Detroit side for speeding, but if you have an accident and call them, they tell you to call DPD.

The same happens on Mack at Moross, were you have Grosse Pointe Woods, G.P. Farms and Detroit all at the crossroads.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6510
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, I have to agree with you... I have yet to see cops ticket across boundaries. Now some boundaries such as I-94 going into Macomb County are rather vague, because the freeway veers a little bit left and a little bit right and the jurisdiction is anything but clear.

And I have seen both Roseville and SCS police near the border to the others city pull people over once inside the other city (but the radar detection takes place in the originating city).

But I have NEVER seen a Grosse Pointe cop pull over someone on Mack Ave. westbound (west of Moross) where the speed limit is 5 miles higher than eastbound, for a westbound speeding ticket... nor have I ever seen a Detroit officer pull someone over on westbound 8 Mile (Macomb/Oakland County), for an infraction committed in Macomb/Oakland County.

Now granted some streets veer off (such as where 8 Mile becomes Vernier and is totally in Harper Woods), but I've never been hassled by a cop in a city I never entered.

Perhaps narrow roadways (such as Tireman) may enforce the "Boundary Rule"... but I have NEVER seen it enforced on wider boulevard streets such as 8 Mile Rd. or Mack Ave.

Just because one or the other policemen drive on the side of the street that is not in their jurisdiction, doesn't necessarily mean that they are patrolling it for violations... often it's just the closest route to get to another spot within their own jurisdiction.

Anyone here ACTUALLY experience such a situation? I mean just because an Eastpointe cop pulls someone over in Detroit, doesn't mean that the perp didn't take a turnaround or crossed the border after their infraction occurred in Eastpointe.

I'm not denying it doesn't happen, but I find it hard to believe that you can go to court in a jurisdiction that you never entered. And besides, some people may get pulled over for an All-Points-Bulletin, or being on the lookout for say bank robbers, etc.

But I would definitely like to hear some experiences from people who got a traffic ticket in a jurisdiction they never entered...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always see Ferndale, Hazel Park, and Warren police with people pulled over on the Eastbound side of 8 mile

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it was ridiculous how city cops can ticket you on the freeway, however if you're in an accident, you have to wait for the nearest state trooper to show up. I witnessed an accident on 696 just east of Van Dyke last year and stopped to help. A Warren cop had a motorist pulled over for a ticket on the same side of the freeway about a half mile upstream from the accident. He didn't showup, but 15 minutes later a State Trooper flew by on the west bound side and looped around to the accident scene on the east bound side. The Warren FD was there 5 minutes before the cop showed up. in the mean time an elder lady was suffering from serious injuries that we bystanders really could not help with, and my black pickup truck was the only thing blocking traffic from wizzing down the accident left lane. and yes that's black truck at night. I understand there are some jurisdiction laws for freeway accident investigations, however when people's lives are at stake, I don't understand why city cops can't at least assist at freeway accidents.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I would definitely like to hear some experiences from people who got a traffic ticket in a jurisdiction they never entered...

Hey Gistok,

I can't comment on 8 Mile,as they most likely were followed from Eastpointe, but a buddy of mine had that situation happen on the Detroit side of Mack when a G.P. officer pulled him over in front of Mr C's Car Wash for speeding.

Of coarse he could have left out that he was originally speeding on the Grosse Pointe side...

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As stated somewhere up above, Redford's finest can/will pop you on the "Detroit" side of Telegraph at will, and I've got the driving record to prove it..
:-(

Gistok

Post Number: 6512
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Detroitej72... like I said, I'm not denying that it does happen, but I would be curious about some personal stories.

That stretch that you described (on Mack at Kirby/Gateshead)... I always see a Grosse Pointe Farms police car pulled over on Kirby facing northwards towards Mack. That officer could very well be ticketing in both directions.

I often see that cop pull over people going westbound on Mack and making an illegal U-Turn via Kirby (where there's a NO U-TURN sign) to get to eastbound Mack (to get to Wendy's).

Ironically at that point along Mack the eastbound speed limit is 30, while the westbound limit is 35.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 18, 2008)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZrxDoug, Telegraph is Redford on both sides south of Puritan. South of Puritan, the city line is 40 feet east of the east curb line. Thus, while it appears that it's "Redford on one side and Detroit on the other", it's actually Redford on both sides. But the stores on the east side in those strip malls are in Detroit.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>>As stated somewhere up above, Redford's finest can/will pop you on the "Detroit" side of Telegraph at will, and I've got the driving record to prove it..

The border is actually Dale street, which is one block further East. BUT Detroit still puts its street signs on its side of Telegraph around Fenkell.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Hizoner meant speeders when he said " Go hit 8 mile".

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, I was pulled over by warren pd a few years ago on the Detroit side of 8mile, while driving in the right lane, eastbound, never was on the west bound side in this incident.They pulled me over strictly on the Detroit side. Also, drive by the state fair grounds on 8mile in the late evening, you will see hazel park monitoring eastbound traffic in the state fair grounds driveway(detroit)or in the center turn around lane facing eastbound traffic, i've seen that for years traveling 8mile rd. Ferndale also monitors eastbound traffic on 8mi.

Gistok

Post Number: 6521
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze talk about pushing the limit... it's not that they're policing outside of their city, but also outside of their county!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the police presence, many criminals has been removed from the streets via a simple traffic stop. I get irritated, as stated earlier, when you are involved in a accident when one municipality tells you to call the other, which happened to me once.

Radioron
Username: Radioron

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.726a Enforcement of act on boundary streets or highways.

Sec. 726a.

A peace officer of any county, city, village or township of this state may exercise authority and powers outside his own county, city, village or township when he is enforcing this act on a street or highway which is on the boundary of the county, city, village or township the same as if he were in his own county, city, village or township.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A week ago on 8 Mile during the evening rush hour there were Wayne County Sheriff's pulling people over left and right the whole length from the Redford Detroit border all the way to Groesbeck. I saw DPD, but that was only for the accident at Evergreen. The WCS was during lots of traffic enforcement that day.

Postbop

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw something at Moross just east of I-94-

There was a cop standing by the corner holding a sign saying 'safe belt safety zone or enforcement zone'; I can't remember the exact wording. There were then 4 or 5 cars pulling people over without seat belts. Obviously the standing cop was scouting the cars.

I've seen Ohio cops at the border of I-75 picking off motorists with the radar gun and 10 or so cops pulling them over, parked on Alexis Rd., but never a seat-belt enforcement crew on a relatively small road like Moross.

Did anyone else see this?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not surprising. The state police and Livingston Co. Sheriff runs them occasionally on M-59 near US-23. They do it a bit differently than you describe. They have the state cop hidden on the radio, then the signs about the safety belt enforcement zone and deputies pulling people over.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seat belt non-usage is a primary violation?

Kell31
Username: Kell31

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pretty sure that the state lifted the need for an officer to appear in court to answer questions on a ticket. I think they need a representative of the department but not the actual issuing officer to appear. Any one know different. I know i recently had to report to Allen Park for a ticket the officer was no where to be seen but court went on.

Postbop

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of blew me away was that they were Detroit Cops, not State Police.

I'm not going to make the same dumb cliche, that, "Shouldn't Detroit Cops be going after murderers and car-jackers", but I am concerned about such blatant enforcing of a law designed just to increase revenue. It seems like they're trying to get the most bang for their buck.

You can tell I'm not exactly thrilled with the seat-belt law.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does have a traffic enforcement division, who's primary function is to.....

Gannon

Post Number: 11946
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...collect revenue for the city?

YES. They have pretty, new vehicles filled to the gills with high technology, probably funded in part by the Homeland Security juggernaut.

You will notice they are the ONLY cars pulling people over!

Postbop

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for pulling speeders and such (except for me :-) ) to collect revenue, it's the seat-belt law I have issue with.

I'll never forget, when I was a kid, my mom was driving me home from a gig at the Roostertail, and she blew right through the light at Jefferson and Van Dyke; no breaking or anything. Thank god it was a T-intersection. A Detroit cop pulled up onside, motioned for her to roll down the window, and proceeded to say, "Did you see what you did?". My mom said, "yes", and he cut her sentence off there and ended the conversation with, "don't do that anymore." He then did a U-Turn and went the other way down Jefferson. So strange...So lucky...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.