Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Water Presentation for class « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I am the king of procrastination and I was wondering if any of you know of any good articles I could use to build a presentation on the Detroit water and sewerage department (I'm already using "Water Wars" from MetroTimes). Any help would be great.

I'm basically making an argument that Detroit's water department could have been (and tried to be) a tool for curbing suburban exodus, and that if the tri-county area wants regional control of the DWSD, then they should be subject to regional governance beyond just the water department - regional cooperation seems to be a mythical concept in metro detroit.

Any help would be great.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An understanding of the history of the DWSD would be helpful in making any serious arguments. I would especially recommend that you read "The First 300 Years" complete history document.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeduncan, are you arguing that the city can raise the water rates so high in the 'burbs that people will be FORCED back into the city just to get a drink of water? I think they are well on their way with this plan. The problem with this idea is that the 'burbs are doing it too, and so people are being forced out of S.E. Michigan altogether. Maybe a better idea would be to send legions of criminals into the 'burbs in an attempt to do the same thing. Oh. That’s been tried too?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find the book "Profile of a Metropolis" in a local library or used bookstore. Read the chapter "Water for Southeast Michigan".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.