Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DPS must return $39M if not spent by June « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the accountability?

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080317/METRO /803170454

"DETROIT -- Detroit Public Schools has until June to spend more than $39 million targeted to reading programs for poor children or will have to pay it back to the federal government.

The money is part of about $140 million in federal money from programs, including Title 1, that give money to schools attended by large numbers of children who qualify for free or reduced lunches. The money is earmarked for reading teachers, tutors, books, supplies and other academic needs.

In a written statement released today, Superintendent Connie Calloway said the district is in danger of losing the money because some schools still have large balances remaining in their budgets from the programs. She said she learned about the problem a little over a week ago, and immediately urged bureaucratic staff to cut through red tape to spend the money."

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Tape my ass. I heard that principals get bonuses for being under budget. My source is a principal.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 882
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not on federal grant money that reverts back to the feds if not spent.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This from a district that runs out of pencils, paper, books, and even toilet paper.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They didn't spend the money because they thought they would not get a bonus or rewarded for being under budget. Therefore a surplus of the funds that were allocated towards their budget.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to buy some more books and store them in water.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do I submit my order?? I'll even go pick them up! We have very few novels with which to supplement the curriculum (we are supposed to have them, we just don't). We haven't gotten new books/novels/library books in ages!! We are told there is no money in the budget...believe me, we've begged for them.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11829
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfuckingbelievable.

Some SUPERintendent.

How she didn't know where ALL INCOME money was coming from, along with the FACT that all Federal monies come in with some 'catch' or hook to force some behavior, proves that she is no administrator.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That just about sums up the incompetence of DPS officials. My district practically has that (Title 1, etc.) money spent even before we receive it from the state. To have it unspent at this point is complete incompetence and totally unforgivable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.