Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Is it a crime to curse at people on the street with racial obscenities? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or is it free speech?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer is really simple, ones rights to say or do whatever stops where the next persons beings, and with the street being a public space with no option for people to avoid the word slinging then it could be considered a crime. Now if you were at a private residence then it would be free speech because no one has to be subjected to it there against their free will. But really this would probably come down to local laws.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are specific local laws that speak to this. Racial or ethnic intimidation is a good search term if you want to research your particular area.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just consider it a gritty, yet whimsical part of the urban experience. We have a lot to learn from the bums of Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This topic belongs in Non-Detroit.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlikely to be a crime to use slurs. But if you were in a situation where the slurs made you apprehensive for your physical safety,then it would be a crime, albeit simple assault.

Battery and slurs could be construed as a hate crime, depending on the circumstances.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Mmmmm.... law school.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive just never understood why someone would even use a racial slur yet judge the value of a human based on the color of their skin , It causes such hatred.. and shows such ignorance and stupidity on the part of the person delivering it, It was done so often and unjustifiably to black people in the south ( and everywhere) and now we have a mayor ( of all people) who does,, I had thought the majority of us were so past that level of ignorance towards each other.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it could be considered assault, even without physical contact.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could not be an assault without some threat of physical contact. An assault - the precise elements vary by jurisdiction - is an attempt to cause unwanted physical violence to another or to cause the fear of such violence. Traditionally, raising your fist like you're about to hit someone - even without making physical contact - is an assault. (Battery, on the other hand, is the actual unwanted physical contact whether it causes fear or not. Traditionally, you couldn't assault someone who is sleeping or can't see you coming, as that is battery. That's why assault and battery are now often combined and identified under the law simply as assault or battery - depending on the jurisdiction.) Thus, unless the racial slur is accompanied by an intent to cause physical violence or something causing the fear of violence, it's not assault.

That said, there is also "simple" assault or second-degree assault, where someone gets in your personal space with the intent to simply touch you or fear you will be touched – as opposed to cause injury or violence. Again, it differs by jurisdiction, and I don't know what Michigan's law says.

Sorry for the long explanation, but legislators and lawyers never make things simple. :-)

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Is it a crime to curse at people on the street with racial obscenities.”

Crime?
I would be more worried that said person is prepared to defend, as well as back up, those words; street justice can be a painful lesson.

“Or is it free speech”

I would say its stupidity or naivety.

People wonder why they get their ass beat.

(Message edited by club boss on March 15, 2008)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. People today feel they have a legal right to be respected. Respect is to be earned.

If the person on the receiving end feels that their personal safety is jeopardized, then yes under a battery charge.

Civility is a two way street. So is respect.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This tangentially brings to mind the curious case of the cussing canoeist, Timothy Boomer: Victory for cussing canoeist up **** creek without a paddle. The 105-year-old Michigan anti-cussing law was struck down in the end.

In a classic forbidden text paradox, the attorneys in court had to violate the very law they were debating:
quote:

Mr Boomer's trial had highlighted the absurdity of the state law, he said, when prosecutors sought to establish exactly which words Mr Boomer had used.

"It was carried live on Court TV, so here we were broadcasting in the early afternoon hours, when children were coming home, and the courtroom was full of lawyers using the foulest language you could imagine."

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If hurling racial epithets at someone was likely to cause immediate physical retaliation, the racial slurs could be considered "fighting words" and would not be protected by the 1st Amendment - Freedom of Speech.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had racial epithets hurled at me while standing at the bus stop at Woodward and Warren. I did indeed feel very threatened, more because I am female and the person who said these things to me was a man much bigger than myself who was clearly not in a coherent frame of mind. Plus, he included some sexually charged words along with the racial slurs. I never even considered going to the police. I figured they wouldn't care.

Mozeewink

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenniferl, I think the argument could be made that what you experienced was an assault...that is awful, I'm so sorry that happened to you!

I don't know what the police response would have been, though...

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest one of your erogenous zones!"

If someone on the street were to curse at me like that, I'd have to laugh and give them credit for having a lot of style! (and remember it for later use myself, of course.) But with the kinds of curses you actually hear....nope, verbal english-language crime.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assault involves the threat or attempt to strike another. This isn't assault.

It would be slander if any of the name calling involved untruths. Lewd, offensive, unwanted remarks about race and sometimes involving threats is harassment. Breaking the peace is a broad enough concept to make an arrest for such behavior. If the name calling or harassment cause emotional distress or mental anguish, there would be room for a lawsuit or restraining order.

Mozeewink

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, it depends on what words are used. if the words cause apprehension of imminent physical contact, that could be construed as an assault.

of course, there are many scenarios that could be played out.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has to be at least the threat to strike and some accompanying conditions for this to be assault. If there was a threat to strike causing the "apprehension of imminent physical contact" and the other legal conditions of assault were met, then you are correct.
http://dictionary.law.com/defa ult2.asp?selected=2444&bold=||||

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A black man sued his employer for not stopping another black person from using the "n" word and won several thousand dollars. Thus, a significant number of black people have been trained, programmed and/or manipulated into using abusive and racial slurs against each other. And this has to stop.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4254
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you paint certain racial slurs on a house - that is ethnic intimidation, I think, I could be wrong.

So if you say it out loud to someone's face, wouldn't that be the same thing? At least??

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outlaw speech and see who they go after: Five'll get you ten the cops only cite the same old people they already do. I don't imagine they'll bust into a bigot's household, but they'll likely tack on a "hate crime" charge when some inner-city suspect calls somebody a honky.

Anyway, trying to outlaw language is stupid.

Sticks and stones
May break my bones,
But names shall never hurt me.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean I could've sued everytime a stranger said something vulgar or insulting to me? Huh. Wish I would've known. How about getting flashed by a perv in a trench coat?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.