Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » LED Billboards on I-75 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew it was a matter of time before the news covered this topic. I live at 75 and State Fair and these new LED billboards make driving a bitch at night. You can look and see they light up half the block under them, there is no way in hell I would be able to sleep @ night with these signs blaring @ night.

Anyone else have trouble driving when there is a white background showing on the billboards? I see the neighbors are complaining now too

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15592509/detail.html

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes its like looking at the light of God. It should be an easy fix its just that the white ads weren't changed so they wouldn't blind people.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11810
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to get out the old spot light meter and do some measuring...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those signs light up at least 15-20 houses into the block, which is kinda good since the block is very dark, but still. The house right below it, it really sucks for them.

They have been trying to rent it out for a while since their son (a childhood friend of mine) was car jacked at night and killed and no one saw anything since it was so dark next to that house below the sign.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It should be an easy fix its just that the white ads weren't changed so they wouldn't blind people.

It's always the white ads, isn't it?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 673
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Uh duh, we are talking about the city of Detroit, now aren't we?

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the same thing.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think there would already be a regulation limiting the brightness of signs. That it uses LEDs shouldn't be a factor.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Chrysler (Plymouth?) put up that huge sign on E. Jefferson near the Connor Creek pumping station, the neighbors as far away as St. Jean cpmplained....... in the 1920's. It remained until they rebuilt the plant, in the early 90's.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they say,"The Moon Rules!"

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5636
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find them somewhat unnerving as well.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...good refer' to "They Live". Mine was about the aqua teen hunger force LED things last yr that made everyone freak and think they where bombs.

Miguel
Username: Miguel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be cool to have some of those in and around Downtown

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the north side of the MGM parking structure. I cannot believe how bright that is - and those landowners to the north are fucked if they want to turn any of those buildings (including Cass Tech) into rehabbed residential.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7286
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked at the brightness of the MGM billboard awhile back. I was coming back from Windsor and saw this flash that beamed across the freeway. I didn't even realize what it was at first until I saw the billboard. It was shockingly bright and it had illuminated all the lanes of the freeway below.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bet those signs won't last long in the neighborhood on New Years Eve. On New Years morning, I pulled out an AK shell from my trunk that went through the trunk lid and through the bottom of the trunk, a free falling shell.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 626
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was it all along.......

All Detroit has to do is remove the signs and the resident will return.

problem solved!

<313>

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Residents said although it is a constant distraction, they are glad there is now plenty of light on an otherwise dark street.

Another problem solved! No need to fix streetlights, just rent billboards. Business opportunity for the City?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how the story focused that it at least lit up the neighborhood! The lights are broken but hey we got this bright advertisment! I hate advertising I dont know what I would do if that was out my window.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worse is it flashed different signs of various light intensity every ~5 seconds.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7322
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's worse? Annoying neon blink or scattershot different images coming across those billboards? I'd say it's a toss up.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

civilprotectionunit - the "moon rules #1." was the funniest episode of aqua teen. so many good quotes......

"We are Mooninites from the inner core of the moon. Our race is hundreds of years beyond yours. Some would say that the Earth is our moon. But that would belittle the name of our moon, which is the moon."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.