Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cliff Bells... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very impressed with Cliff Bells...I saw some great jazz there last night. Are there any other clubs in Detroit that are similar to CB's

What type of jazz to they usually have?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5615
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Tad Weed and friends there, very enjoyable show:

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker's Keyboard Lounge. I think it's at 8 and Livernois. www.bakerskeyboardlounge.com

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5616
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker's, I saw the Chefs of Dixieland there:

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cliff Bells reminds me of a 1930's jazz club...how long has it been up and running...

What are the apartments adjacent to CB's on Park?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5617
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cliff Bell's IS a renovated 1930's club. 1935 it opened.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5618
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cliffbells.com/hist ory.html

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...Cliff Bell's is amazing. Make sure you check out the The Scott Gwinnell Jazz Orchestra which plays every Wednesday. It's a 16-piece modern-jazz big band that will blow your socks off.
Other spots to see Jazz besides Baker's include:
The Jazz Cafe (at the Music Hall) www.jazzcafedetroit.com
Bert's Market Place in Eastern Market
The Jazz Loft (a great jam on Monday's at Exodus in Greektown)
Your Place Lounge on the Eastside is mostly a sports bar but the who's who of jazz play on Sunday nights.
Then for more low key jazz with food you can check out Lola's in Harmonie Park and Seldom Blues in the RenCen.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DefendBrooklynn-
I think you're asking about The Kales building.

http://www.kales76.com/promoti on/

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I visit Detroit, CB's is a must! Check out Organissimo if you can (look them up on myspace). My grandfather used to take dates there in the 40s. I stumbled upon this place during the Super Bowl, when they just re-opened and it wasn't quite complete yet.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody try the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe on Kercheval in GP Farms? It's relatively new and run by the lady who gave the Detroit Jazz fest a $10 mil endowment. There was a write up in the paper about a month ago, but I haven't had a chance to get over there yet.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's that bit on the Dirty Dog, if anybody's interested.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12467

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a pretty neat place in the 50's and '60's, too. Mr. Bell lived in Birmingham on Lincoln Road and made the daily commute. He ran a very nice restaurant. My dad;s favorite waitress was Maxine who visited him once at Henry Ford Hosp[ital and snuck him a dry Rob Roy on the Rocks, not making my mom ( or his doctor)very happy. Dad thought it was great.
Some time ago, a relative of Cliff's used to post on the Forum,and I recall reading her memories of the place and Mr. Bell's relationship with the police department. Kind humorous, actually.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive only been to Cliff Bells once for a bar night when me and my friends went bar hopping. I loved the atmosphere of the place. Just hate the cover charge.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone in metro Detroit hates paying a cover charge. In NYC or Chicago, or even in other, smaller cities, most folks expect to pay anywhere from $5 to $20 to get in. It's a given. Here in Detroit, however, bar-goers have always been cheap and have griped about it. They expect entertainment for free. To hell with paying the band.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the history, I noticed this:
quote:

The building that houses Cliff Bell's was built by Joseph Campau and designed by Albert Kahn. It was originally intended to be ten stories tall but when the depression hit it was capped at just two.

I wonder if the building was built with the ability to build on top of it?

Could this get a few offices or housing units on top of it in the far off future?
http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1pjb382c2r1&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=3778998&encType=1

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5612
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos. Campau and Albert Kahn shared a timeframe?!

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Chefs of Dixieland are outta sight! Ragtime Rick is the bandleader, and they've played both Baker's and Cliff Bell's. In fact, they're comin' back to Cliff Bell's next month, I do believe. French Night. They're an offshoot of Toledo's legendary Cakewalkin' Jass Band. Check 'em out. If you like that traditional New Orleans jass, then these guys are for you. (Bring your grandma down; she'll love these guys.)

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wednesday night 16 piece jazz orchestra

wed night jazz orchestra

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.