Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Aretha may lose her Detroit mansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chvyracn24
Username: Chvyracn24

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT - Aretha Franklin could lose her home to tax collectors. The singer says an attorney's mistake caused her $700,000 mansion in Detroit to slip into foreclosure over $445 in 2005 taxes and late fees.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Detroit Free Press reports Thursday the Queen of Soul owes a total of $19,192 in back taxes on the property through 2007. She says she plans to pay up and reclaim it by a March 31 deadline.

A spokesman for the Wayne County treasurer's office says the foreclosure judgment for $445 was entered earlier this month.

Records show Franklin owes $18,746 in back taxes and fees for the 2006 and 2007 tax years, but foreclosure proceedings on those debts wouldn't begin until next year.

Franklin's slate-roofed brick mansion was built in 1927.

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Miss Ross can help ReRe out with a few bux$?

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the mansion located?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foreclosure because of $445?

That's insane. Nevermind her, but imagine some elderly couple who paid off their house and are now paying thru the nose for healthcare and the rising cost of food etc and could lose their house for $500.

Maybe thats why people move to places without property taxes.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tink her mansion is on Cambridge but I don't believe she lives there.

She has lived in Bloomfield Hills for a couple of decades. Every so offen a story about one of her Detroit properties going into foreclosure or are falling apart.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EastDet, where are the places without property taxes?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7182
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Queen of soul has a long history of non-payment. TRW and other credit rating companies apparently don't care if you are a living legend, they care that you pay your bills on time.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The slate-roofed brick mansion on Hamilton Road just south of 7 Mile Road boasts leaded glass windows, a three-car garage and a backyard that abuts the north course of the Detroit Golf Club. Assessment records list the market value at $712,000."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEW S01/803130364/&imw=Y

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should have a fund raiser to help pay up her taxes! Cracks me up when people with so much money fall on bad times and they turn to the public to help them out. Where are they when I need help?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman, isn't that part of the reason that celebs like Madonna move to the UK?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe we should have a fund raiser to help pay up her taxes! Cracks me up when people with so much money fall on bad times and they turn to the public to help them out. Where are they when I need help?"

Where did anyone say she asked for help? She said it was an oversight by her attorney and will have the full amount paid by the deadline.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“The Detroit Free Press reports Thursday the Queen of Soul owes a total of $19,192 in back taxes on the property through 2007.”

That really isn’t that much money.

She takes in more than that for one night’s (2 hours) work.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5621
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the first of the Queen's suspicious housing issues. Some may remember this a few years back:

http://music.yahoo.com/read/ne ws/12063492

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I believe her son was the arsonist in that case JL. Around that same time I believe one of her other houses slipped into foreclosure as well.

Apparently, it's more a case of her having really shitty bookkeeping rather than being broke. Although, how can you keep money like that if your bookkeeping is so poorly kept?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7284
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? No snarky comments about how she might have "outgrown" the house?

Realistically though, there are a lot of regular folks out there losing their homes due to foreclosures and it is a tragedy. As far as I'm concerned, Aretha's no different.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a story in the Free Press from about 10 years ago that revealed the last place you wanted Aretha's autograph on was a check she used to pay you for work done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3_iQZiVD_zA&feature=related

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6481
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit, Madonna moved to the UK because her husband is from there.

Taxes in the UK and Europe in general are higher than Detroit. Death Duty (Estate Taxes) in the UK in the past have been extremely high.

That's why most of the stately mansions, manors, and castles in the UK have been given to the UK's National Trust since the 1930's (with the owners and their descendants having the perpetual right to still live in parts of the structures/estates). Death duty has been a killer for the landed gentry in the UK for much of the 20th Century. Perhaps that has changed in the time since Margaret Thatcher.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 14, 2008)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aretha blames "her lawyer" for her tax troubles. I wonder how much she also owes him?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6488
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Realistically though, there are a lot of regular folks out there losing their homes due to foreclosures and it is a tragedy. As far as I'm concerned, Aretha's no different.

Smogboy... I cannot believe you said this....

When regular folks lose their house they have to struggle to find somewhere else to live... when Aretha loses a house... she just has to deal with the inconvenience to move into one of her other houses.

That's a BIG DIFFERENCE!

(Message edited by Gistok on March 15, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.