Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Masonic Temple « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the Detroit Masonic Temple for the first time this past weekend for a wedding, and I can't wait to go on a tour of the place. The building is fascinating.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Freemason and a Shriner, I've been on the inside of that building a thousand times; that building is amazing. The tours are free, and you do not need to be part of the fraternity to enjoy it. The architecture and foresight in design is amazing. So many ornate woodworking, marble carvings, priceless paintings, and the like.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It certainly is, these are the treasurers we need to remember make up the Detroit we love,,and why we care about it.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I was there I heard something about a pool that can't be filled anymore that was on the 6th floor or something. That would be nice to see.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pool was never filled. It wasn't completed. The depression hit and worked stopped. The pool layout itself reminds me of the old and now gone Dondero High School pool in Royal Oak (1927).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11436
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Gistok - Do you guys give tours of the Masonic Temple (or Temple or Masonic - whatever is the correct name).

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on a tour of it sponsored by the Detroit Historical Society a few years ago. The swimming pool is not that interesting; just a big, dirty concrete hole in the ground.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6459
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, Preservation Wayne gave tours of the place a few years back, but besides a Midtown Theatre Tour (which hasn't been done in several years that I'm aware of), PW doesn't have regularly scheduled tours of the Masonic.

In recent years (as has been mentioned) other groups have given tours, as does on occasion, the Masonic Temple itself.

P.S. Correct nomenclature would be:

Detroit's Masonic Temple or simply Masonic Temple
Masonic Temple Theatre... although I've occasionally heard "Masonic Theatre"
Scottish Rite Theatre

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just on a tour of the place March 1st for about 40 members of Exposure Detroit. Incredible place. Heres a shot of the Masonic Temple Theater that I took from the trek.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/2306987679/

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo is amazing!

Single_malt

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, the pool is pretty much a big dirty concrete hole

http://img98.imageshack.us/img 98/624/img2937iz3.jpg

The pool was never completed. The building was designed to also have a hotel, racquet ball courts, and spa in the same area. That was never completed. There are other really amazing features in the building such as: the Knights Templar Asylum (I was Knighted there a few years ago...amzing place), all the light fixtures, and furniture, and woodwork. It really is worth a trip down to see this magnificant jewel. This building is full of mystique and is just amazing. There are so many rooms and anterooms in the ritual tower, you can get lost. In fact we did for a few hours. It was really nice to see how these people lived and socialized back in the day. Most of the stuff is still there dust covered under cloths and what not.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the things that amaze me about Detroit. The buildings downtown are amazing. When I was at the Temple last Saturday, we were just in awe of the place. (I'm into old structures and there histories....just a little bit)

Gistok

Post Number: 6470
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing that was never completed was a 900 seat theatre (with balcony) on the top floors of the tower. The theatre was framed, but never finished, and is currently used as a vast storage space.

So the Masonic had 3 theatres, but only 2 were ever completed... the 5,000 seat Masonic Temple Theatre, and the 1,585 seat Scottish Rite Theatre.

Due to the horseshoe shape of the 5,000 seat main auditorium, and due to the columns in the middle back of the auditorium, only 4,404 seats are actually used. The obstructed view and side of stage (poor sight lines) seating is not used (via ticket sales).

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they go up to the storage space in the tours?

Gistok

Post Number: 6471
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so. I was there when Preservation Wayne did their tours several years ago. One of the Masonic folks took a few of the PW folks up to that space after all the tours ended.

But that was only the PW tours. Others do tours as well, and I can't speak for them.

Pam

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do they go up to the storage space in the tours?

The tour I was on went through some storage areas. I think we passed them while heading toward the pool.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikipedia says the Masonic Temple's "cornerstone was placed on September 19, 1922."

Lez see.... 9/19/1922 is 9+1+9+1+9+2+2= 33. The number "33" is prominent in freemasonry. The headquarters of the Scottish Rite is in Washington DC, "Supreme Council of the 33rd Degree of Scottish Rite of Freemasonry" at 1733 16th Street.

Pam

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a newsletter from the Detroit Historical Society yesterday and they have a tour scheduled for May 3. It is not on the website yet, but the phone number is 313-833-1801. Cost-$25.

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm... maybe when the economy clears up, and things get better, they could finish up that hotel/racquet ball courts/spa/theatre. That would be great.

Anymore pictures of the pool/unfinished places?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rolling Stones played there in 78.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Rolling Stones played there in 78."

So has The Who, Neil Diamond, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsten, Tony Bennett, Wayne Newton, Gordon Lightfoot, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jeff Beck, Queen, Bob Marley, David Bowie, and Barry Manilow to name a few.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 999
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django Reinhardt made his sole Det appearance at MT w/Duke's band in 1946.

And Jazz At The Philharmonic w/Bird played MT in 1949.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Masonic would make an amazing campus for a university. Move Oakland University into it.

Pam

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think the Masonic would make an amazing campus for a university. Move Oakland University into it.

It is not an empty building. The Masons still use it. Plus I doubt OU would be interested in moving from the location where they have always been. (Oakland county- hence the name.)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Sinatra and the Count Basie band appeared in concert there in 1965.

I played in the Scottish Rite auditorium before a White Stripes concert about four years ago. Very surreal job. Blanche was the opener, what a great band. Goober and the peas, all married and grown up.

(Message edited by 56packman on March 21, 2008)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And with Illich and Olympia Entertainment taking care of the booking and running of the MT, expect more use of the building. The Detroit Economic Club uses it frequently for events.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw "The Police" there in 1982.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Historical Society is hosting a tour of Masonic Temple on Saturday, May 3, 11am-1pm. $20 for DHS members; $25 for nonmembers.

"Join this popular tour through one of the city?s architectural wonders and hear stories and secrets that have evolved in its long existence. Make sure to bring your walking shoes, this tour can be long."

Yes, our tour lasted about 4-5 hours a couple years back. Of course, you can depart when you've had enough!

Here's the link to the webpage which links to the online registration and ticket order system:
http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp?ID=20

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks for the hookup about the DHS tours. I signed up for the Masonic Temple and the U-D Mercy tours.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those who are interested in seeing the "backbone" parts of this building... take a self-guided tour. I have...several times, and the higher you go, the less likelihood that anything is locked. Its like exploring an abandoned building without actually being in one. Just this past December, a friend and I were hanging out on the roof.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Frank Sinatra and the Count Basie band appeared in concert there in 1965."

56packman,
Do you happen to have the exact date for that concert in 1965 ?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5286
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been fortunate enough to take a number of far behind the scenes tours with a notable mason/architectural historian. I was able to see things that even the pres. wayne folks don't get to see. What is really sad is the surrounding area looks like Grozny.

Single_malt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I agree about the surrounding areas. When the Shriners were down there, I know people that have had their car broken into two and three times. It was terrible.

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was an 'extra' in the opera Anna Bolena in the 1980s with Michigan Opera Theatre. Dame Joan Sutherland was in the lead roll. Anyhow, we got to go exploring the vast interior of this incredible building while we were in reherasals there. Will never forget it.

Single_malt

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford used to broadcast his Sunday evening radio shows from there.

Also, the building has it's own power plant that could power 50,000 homes.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Dylan made his electric guitar debut then in whatever year that was. All the great played there in the late 1960's & early 70's. Peter, Paul & Mary, Judy Collins & Joan Baez ar ethe only other ones I can remember seeing. 'Man of La Mancha' w/Stan Keaton, 'Foxy' w/Bert Lahr were some of the best theater ever for me! Beautiful Room.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone keyed my car door the last time I went to the Masonic Temple to see a show.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Goldwater made a speech at the Temple in 1960 to Oakland County Republicans in support of Richard Nixon.

The Democrats had some Jefferson-Jackson Day dinners at the Temple throughout the years.

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: I am very interested in getting a really "thorough" tour through the Masonic. Maybe one that is a little more "in depth" then the one by detroit historical society. Is there any way that you could talk to your friend and see if he would be interested in making a little bit of extra money and taking some very pro-Detroit history buffs on a tour? Please contact me at charretted at wayne dot edu. This would be a very much appreciated anniversary gift!

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Tenacious D there, it was awesome. A few weeks later my friend got his face smashed in and his laptop stolen by two guys while walking home past there. It was not awesome.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6602
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a tour of the Windsor one the other day, not anywhere as grand as the Detroit one...

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=635

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.