Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What's happening at Rafal Spice Co.? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 30, 2008Larjmarj30 03-30-08  6:42 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12047
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larj,

I understand, that's why I said welcome to the group. Thanks for the clarification, and welcome to the board, seriously!

We live and learn...not enough for some people, though. They'd rather have everyone STFU than dialogue into a higher level of understanding.

Methinks we've achieved just that...except that one fellow who'd not even give THEM a chance to get it together.

Cheers, everything will be OK...as long as we give each other room to learn and grow.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larjmarj, I was sincere in my welcome.

Of course posting something like that doesn't make you a bad person, but I thought a retraction or apology was in order. That's all.

I am looking forward to reading more posts from you... about lavender-scented kittens sliding down rainbows :-) Maybe we'll bump into each other in the Market sometime.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Don Rafel back in 1981 when his parents were still alive. They are all wonderful people. I left later to join the Navy...Mr. Rafel (father) served in the Navy during WWII...if there place is low on supplies, my logic would be they have decided to close and leave Detroit...just like I did last August to another state and job...............as for the "gambling" scenario....that is too crazy to imagine knowing the character and principles of the family....

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brenda. I am tired of the fleeing people from Detroit that still feel it is necessary to post negatively about a city they no longer live in. Post about your new home and your lovely life

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larjmarj, you are an idiot, but you already knew that. That aside, welcome to the board.
Its called supply and demand. No more, no less.
Eastern market + cold weather = low demand.
Happens every year to ALL the vendors.

Thank goodness they all stick in there, for those of us who really appreciate the grocery store alternative.

Besides if they are in peril, what the hell are YOU gonna do about it?
Are you Captain save-a-spice?

Rel

Post Number: 608
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SWSavvy, I didn't see anything overly negative in Brenda's post. She left. She didn't gripe about anything, just stating what she did. Your reply sounds very bitter.

I hope to stop by Rafal's on Friday. Have a good week, everyone.

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil, your powers of deductive reasoning and knowledge of economics are amazing. I don't know why I didn't think of that, thank you for the clarification.

Thank you for your welcome to the board, it really is a warm fuzzy kitty, happy little cloud kind of group.

Rel, hope to hear something from you next week. Have a good rest of your week...

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil,

Not sure if you've actually been in Rafal's recently, but their stock issues these days are not about low traffic in the winter. One is greeted, upon entry, with lots and lots of empty shelf and bin space. It's the first I've seen them like this in the 10 years I've been shopping there. I'm interested to hear any insight Rel may have to share.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, something is clearly wrong. There is basically *no* coffee or tea. And getting a non-explanation from staff naturally inspires speculation. Hope it goes back to the way it was before.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5659
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no loss if they stop carrying coffee -- but i certainly hope they get their stocks up again.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am waiting anxiously to hear what's going on. If something happens to Rafal's I won't be able to get the half dozen kinds of chili powders I need to make my awesome chili. :-)

Otter

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funaho,

You can find lots of varieties of dried chiles at E&L and La Colmena markets in Mexicantown. I more often get whole chiles (and there is more variety in whole than in ground, i think) but there is plenty of ground, too. You can grind your own from whole, too.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5664
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh... but chilies are not chili powders -- it's those special blends of chilies, cumins, etc

Otter

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that, desipte the spelling, Funaho really meant ground chile - I recall that Rafal's has historically had plenty of variety of these, but I can't recall them having more than one or maybe two chili powders. Not too hard to make your own chili powder, either :-) Anyway, it's just an alternative.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I meant ground chiles, sorry. Rafal's always did have a great selection, many of which I had never heard of until I started going there.

I know I can get my ingredients elsewhere but it wouldn't be the same. Traditionally I hit up Rafal's once a year and restock my kitchen on the same day I go to the market to buy vegetable plants for my garden. I'd pick up not only the chile powders but also any interesting sounding coffees and teas I found.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, All the soap opera drama is kinda weird to me. I was there on Friday. I don't even want to mention how many years I have been shopping there.
Yes, I noticed many empty containers, however it was not the first time. Got what I went for, no problem. Not to mention, service with a smile.

Eastern market is going through a major renovation. I'm sure you will still be able to cook your most favorite recipe.

Considering the financial times we are currently experiencing, you also might be wise to tighten your belt.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not simply buy your spices and herbs online? The prices can be quite low. There are plenty of purveyors.

I buy from Butterfly Herbs and Spice Barn. In particular, I would buy spices such as cayenne (160,000 Scoville hotness units--which is about as hot as cayenne is sold.) And it sells for around $5 to $7 per pound.

Otter

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil,

If you've seen them go through phases like this before, then perhaps I have cause for more optimism. Of course I can find everything I need in other places, but there are some places (like Rafal's) that I just like, support, and want to see continue to prosper.

And, um, thanks for the budget advice. Who knew?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6616
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or you can just go to any Mr. Bulky outlet in metro Detroit and probably get the same spice from the same sources that Rafael gets theirs from.

With the exception of expensive Saffron, I can think of a lot of other things to tighten my belt over before spices...

But then again... I get most of my spices from "MRS. DASH".

To paraphrase the book/movie "DUNE"... "the flow of spice must continue..." :-)

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestsaavy: Stupidity must be your virtue. My point in commenting on Rafal was to stop the nonsense about the family "gambling". Since I had worked for this wonderful family, I had to set the record straight...As for my "fleeing" Detroit...free country...member Detroit is in the United States and I still live in the United States....freedom of speech is all over the country too...no one tells me I can not speak my mind.............Southwestsaav y..have a great day....to all the other people of this thread your comments are interesting and informative without the insults and degradation!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why don't we ALL just stop buying from small businesses all together... Actually... let's stop buying from brick and mortar stores all together. Let's just buy EVERYTHING online... That is an active step to make Detroit better. Yay! oh, livernois yard... you really know how to get under my skin...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it that Gerhard doesn't cross Eight Mile to buy his Mrs. Dash. How do you like those apples, AL?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't like those apples one bit LY. I prefer mine fresh, ripe, delicious, and local - from either eastern market, university foods, or honey bee. :-)

Otter

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

<dime-store>
What is this Mr. Bulky of which you speak?
<dime-store>

Never heard of 'em. Probably 'cause I don't know much about wholesale places. Location, web presenece, etc.?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5731
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buying bulk herbs/spices online is really inexpensive. Especially, if one buys enough so that there is no S&H charged. I bought five pounds of 160,000 Scoville cayenne and like amounts of tumeric, cumin, bitter orange, brown mustard seeds, etc.

The cayenne makes for great sneezing powder if just a few specks get into the air, as its about 100 to 150 times hotter than jalapeño.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most places you go to these days give cold cust service anyway, ex. walk to the counter, no greeting,no can I help you, just a blank stare and after you pay, no thank you or anything for that matter, they just turn and walk away. may as well buy every thing on line and not have to deal with these businesses that take their customers for granted. Thats the good part about buying things online. A perfect example of this service is tonyas records on Gratiot. You try to support your local Detroit business and get this kind of service. Itunes from now on.

(Message edited by whittier70 on April 03, 2008)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5734
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have received decent customer service from mom and pop online companies, especially the US importers of Asian (mostly Chinese) herbs, spices, and other foodstuffs. They inform me on future price cuts/breaks and specials, etc. And some go the extra mile to find items that are mostly unavailable most other places.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter - Mr. Bulkys are big candy stores where you can buy gummy worms and things by the pound. There used to be one in what seemed like every mall.

Gistok

Post Number: 6619
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I cross 8 Mile every time I shop LY... my supermarket is at 7 Mile & Mack. And the bulk convenience store where I shop is at 8 Mile & Harper.

It's not named Mr. Bulky (can't remember their name), and most of them sell way more that candy. You can pretty much get hundreds of spices, powders, dried fruits & nuts, etc.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumbest thread this year.

So far.

Gistok

Post Number: 6620
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree Supergay... so many insults over friggin' spice!!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5745
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay reminds me of the fat comic-book dealer in the Simpsons: "Worst episode--EVER!"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12165
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.

(not about the fat-dealer thingie)

SuperGay for Mayor. We need someone with a level head running the show...he could stand on his bully pulpit and tell idiots to STFU.

(of course, you'd likely hear less from me...h-m-m-n-n)

Rel

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there may be truth to the rumor that Rafal Spice is closing.

But I will not speculate as to why... keep in mind that many businesses aren't exactly booming in this Michigan economy.

Perhaps Don is just looking to retire... If he is indeed closing, then I will miss his store dearly if no one decides to buy it :-(

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5797
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place is a bit pricey. Dry beans @ $2 per pound!
I can get beans at La Fiesta and other groceries in SW Detroit for 59 cents per pound or less, or four pounds per dollar when they go on special. Rafal during those sale dates charges eight times as much!

However, anybody can charge as much as he wants. But, diligent consumers don't have to buy whenever the price ain't right.

Rel

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I shop at Rafal Spice anyway. Sometimes that's the price you pay in a specialty store. I like the service and location. Thanks for the tip, btw, about La Fiesta; I will check it out next time I'm in the neighborhood.

I think you are right, I'm sure prices have affected his business. I go a few doors down to Rocky Peanut, and they have some identical items. But did you also notice Rocky Peanut's newer, bigger spice section? Hmmmm...

Larjmarj

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel, yes it would be a damn shame to see an Eastern Market anchor store close. I believe that they have been in business since the 50's. I know that I've been shopping there since the early 80's.

I guess what really upset me and put me on a tangent is the lack of straight answers when I've directly asked the staff what's going on. We recently lost our last dimestore downriver and it was incredibly painful to see such a unique institution go down, however, they didn't pull any punches, they let their customers know what was going on. I guess I feel that Rafal should at least give that to their loyal customers.

I did notice more spices at Rocky the last time I was there. Yeah, a lot of the prices at Rafal were maybe a little higher than you'd pay elsewhere, but like a lot of places in the market it was the tradition of shopping there and the atmosphere that kept me coming back regardless.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5801
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tradition here would be to buy, say dry pinto beans, only three blocks away at prices four to eight times cheaper than Rafal Spice. Ditto for the many other stores nearby.

SW Detroit has more choices and better selection than probably any single location in the metro area without having to travel more than a mile or two.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, I'm an eastsider so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the west side.

What would be your top markets for spices over there (not to dig on Rafal, but to open my horizons).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5802
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, there's the online bulk spice outlets, available to anybody with the Internet. Then there are bulk stores, such as the one in Dearborn on Michigan and Outer Drive.

SW Detroit has the greatest density of groceries in Detroit. Even the Spartan stores have a wide selection of fresh produce, herbs, and spices (the typical culprits, but a wide selection). Meijer's has great produce for exotics. There are others. The new produce store on Vernor near Livernois has a broad selection of produce and relatively cheap meat.

The Mexican and Arab groceries in Dearborn and SW Detroit have their own sources.

I might buy online five pounds of tumeric, cumin, superhot cayenne powder, mustard seeds, etc. at a time. Often, over a certain dollar amount, there's little to no S&H charged.

I even picked up seven pounds of ephedra powder from a Chinese source a few years ago for a few bucks a pound before the stuff got regulated out of existence! I rolled my own 000 capsules (~900mg) back then for my own Stacker.

After a while, you know where to go for what you need. I try not to depend on a single source, such as Rafal, lest you lose sense of the marketplace when it's gone.

Otter

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rafal's may be a bit more expensive for some things, but I haven't noticed because I, like Rel, just like shopping there.

In SW Detroit, La Colmena (Honeybee) has a good and broad selection of spices. They are sold in bags, but can't be bought by the ounce. I haven't been to E&L in a while, so I can't comment on them. La Colmena also, naturally, has a whole lot of the kinds of Mexican cooking that you've never heard of, since they're not used in North America.

LY, what's the name of the new produce store on Vernor?

I loved Rafal's when I first discovered it abotu a decade ago because it was soooo much cheaper than getting the stuff at the FJ, plus it was just a lot....funner, and neater. I could buy my spices online, but would much rather do it in person. I don't like to buy huge quantities like LY does, as they will go flat before I use even a fraction.

Like LY, I developed, over the years, a knowledge of multiple places to go for what I need or want, but at the same time I will still miss places like Rafal's if they go.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5803
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The produce store is a block west of Livernois. Can't remember the name. They have a flyer that's good for a couple weeks.

They loss lead. Such as cabbage for 13 cents per pound. I went in there a couple months ago, and they had pineapples for $1.29. They must have thought I was destitute because they said they also had some overripe ones for 79 cents each...

Larjmarj

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the cross streets for Honeybee market?

I also don't think I could buy 5# of anything, that's a lot o' spice.

For herbs and teas online I use Mountain Rose Heabs out of Oregon. They carry a LOT of stuff that you can't find anywhere else and they have holistic pet products too for dermatitis. ;-) Itchy Dalmatian.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeybee is at Bagley and 17th

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.