Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lascaux Detroit - Graffiti Paintings in the St. Aubin RR cut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.yaydetroit.com/webi sodes/2002/lascaux2/02Lascaux. htm
have any of you seen this? I'd love to check it out

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wonder why such talent goes to waste on public land that becomes an eyesore? Some of those graffiti artists have real talent, but it's so senseless.

Lowell, educate me, please. I just don't understand. (I won't even get into the gang graffiti bullshit).

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people doing those "burners" don't even live in Detroit, they come in from the burbs keeping that mid 80's style art alive.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, you're referring to the Dequindre Cut. If you do a google images search, you'll find lots more. It is being transformed into a sanitized walking and bike trail connecting Eastern Market to the Riverwalk.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does that talent go to waste? Looks like it is not being wasted to me. These are areas that are not in plain view. Public art has it's place. Gang graffiti is just garbage.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, at least to me there's a big difference between this "graffiti" (really they are more closely associated with art murals), and the gang-influenced and/or senseless "tagging" that goes up on abandoned structures.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on March 12, 2008)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Csgeorge, but I don't think you would want a "mural" on your front porch. I don't want it on public property.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936- Comparing your front porch to a long abandoned subgrade rail corridor might be a bit much. Are these murals worse then decaying concrete? Plus, would you like to pay for its removal? Let it be... It's a pretty cool site.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

youtube J-dilla tribute, that is art. A mural like that needs to be in detroit.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The people doing those "burners" don't even live in Detroit, they come in from the burbs keeping that mid 80's style art alive.

That is far from the truth...there are many 'graf crews' living within Detroit.

Graffiti is a brilliant Art form__perhaps one that will not get it's true 'due' until years down the line...as in most great artistic forms.

blksoul_atcha!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4606
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I firmly oppose any vandalization of public or private properties that many taggers and gang bangers do. As Vandykenjefferson points out, the Dequindre cut was an exception to this. It was long abandoned, except for the occasional homeless camp, inaccessible to view, visited with only with effort and in a place that many people would consider dangerous. This is why I made the tongue-in-cheek comparison to the famous Lascaux cave paintings.

Unlike the a**holes who destroy viable property for the look-at-me ego buzz of leaving their tag, the DC paintings were only available to those who knew where they were - mostly those within the creative graffiti subculture and urban explorers.

They did no harm; instead they translated something that was thrown away and forgotten into an explosion of beauty and creative expression. In a sense they were a pure form of art -- not for money, not for attention, temporal, defenseless against vandals and paint-overs yet displaying a high quality of visual expression and color sense.

Whittier is partially correct, many of the artists are not from Detroit, some coming from out of town to perform in that celebrated venue. He is partially wrong too, because I know that many are from the City of Detroit too.

You will notice that I speak of it in the past tense as it is being converted into a parkway. I would hope that something could be worked out to allow the tradition to continue - a continually rotating gallery of art. Many places there may be up to ten layers of paintings. Some of these works are truly spectacular both in quality and their huge scale. You really need to stand in front of them to get the full impact.

Now that the slated-for-demolition Packard Plant is wide open, it seems to be the center activity. Next time you are in the D, I'll take you 'gallery hopping'.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, do you carry Tour Guide's Insurance?
jjaba would go the $5 Million umbrella given all these images are on the Eastside.

jjaba cherishes his photo taken in the wildflowers astride the Packard plant.
He still has nightmares, schpulkas, and plotzing that he ventured so far into those Eastside ruins.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Alley

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms ?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid =102278440991339833954.0000011 2814a725467e82
would you say this is the best route for me to check?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that a couple weeks ago the Cut was still fenced off and undergoing construction. Your best bet is to walk along the surfaces streets that parallel the Cut. You can get a glimpse of the artwork, but honestly, I'd just wait until the grand opening scheduled for June.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm marking down the cut for my next Detroit visit if time allows. The only problem is that friend wife and I will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary then, and time will be tight. But we'll see, and if not then, in '09 for sure.

Well, I guess the 'hidden' aspect of this art work removes my complaint against general public graffiti; didn't consider that. I still think that's a lot of work for no reward, other than self satisfaction. And, alas, I fear the "good" graffiti simply encourages the other crap.

Oh, well. I like Franz Schubert. Few others do any more. To each his own.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,Are you going to try to get together with other forum members this year, would love to hear some of your stories over a good brew?

Stromberg2

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the thread Alley, and thank you Lowell for the pictures, I really enjoyed some of the images in the slideshow. Although I am pleased that the Cut is being converted to a more pastoral route, I will miss the artwork.

-spiff

Alley

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was under the impression that the artwork stays

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are trying to keep as much as possible. Unfortunately some has been damaged during the bridge removal. Some of the concrete had to be removed altogether.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stromberg, I hope to make a forumers meeting this summer. Dates uncertain at this time. I made one last October with many of the gang and enjoyed myself immensely. Looking forward to it again.

Keep an eye on the 'connect' part of DetroitYes. I'll be posting dates there. Hope to clink glasses with you!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met someone who used to touch up some of the art on the cut. I guess it was kind of like he would add something, then someone else would add something, and then someone else would add something. It was almost like a public art project started by some very talented artists. I have no idea who did the originals, but they did create a muse.

Model D had a story about it not to long ago that said the spray painting would be allowed to continue as long as the people cleaned up after themselves. I don't know anyone else who did work other than my one friend, but he seems to really like the idea that the city is going to let this continue and maintain a walkway to view it no less.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy that Detroit has the insight to let this art work stay intact. Lascaux' Detroit has elements of the western side of the Berlin wall.

Hopefully the same level of talented artists will be continuing the tradition. That it doesn't get pissed up with gang tagging giving 'powers that be' an excuse to shut it down.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is being transformed into a sanitized walking and bike trail connecting Eastern Market to the Riverwalk."

Sanitized? Odd word choice. I can think of a lot more sanitary places than the Dequindre Cut could ever become. Many new developments in Charlotte have an annoying perfect look to them. Let's just resolve to call the plans for the future of Dequindre cut 'functional.' Who wouldn't want to see a long lost strip turned into a usable path with the potential future for a streetcar? Function over aesthetics!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, sanitized. For many years the Dequindre Cut was home to a great many street people in addition to its being a major site for graffiti art. One of the first steps taken in this project was the eviction of the residents and the removal of the detritus of their lives from the Cut. Next came the removal of ± 90% of the non-indigenous greenery. For better or worse, the Dequindre Cut is a very different place today than it was last Spring. I expect it will be even more different when the greenway is completed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.