Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » $3.39 and rising - At what point will you make changes to your driving ? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 10, 2008Flanders_field30 03-10-08  6:56 pm
Archive through March 11, 2008Detroitrise30 03-11-08  9:53 am
Archive through March 11, 2008Spiritofdetroit30 03-11-08  7:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep that was me. I wonder did you see the absolutely astonished look on my face when I saw that $3.45 at that Citgo on the corner? Blew my mind.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, thats where I was when I saw you. Unbelievable.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been watching the gasoline price charts (graphs, really) at http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/ for almost two years now.

I'm often able to time it so I can top-off the tank when the price is at a low. Lately the low has been occurring about 5 days after a peak although the recent double hike may have disturbed that pattern. In the past the low occurred about 2½ days after a peak.

You can't save much by doing this unless you buy a lot of gas. It's a rewarding hobby though.

YMMV

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be sarcastic and say that Detroit's had a traffic problem since the 1950s, when the highways were built.

But seriously, I found commuting (especially to and from Oakland County) awful. Then again, I have a low tolerance for sitting in traffic congestion. The city also lacks a good, functioning system of mass transit.

These are just my opinions, though.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with your commutes though, is that they are not to downtown. Most of your commutes are across town, and even in the most transit friendly cities, crosstown travel can still take two hours by transit, just like in Detroit.

Transit works best for downtown trips. So even if you lived in transit friendly areas, I doubt most of you would be able to give up the car to commute by bus, because of gas prices.
For example, I live on a crosstown bus that has peak hour express service. Even operating express, it still takes 45min just to go halfway across town to Yonge Street. In a car you could do the trip in peak hours in maybe 30min. And that is just going halfway across town, let along having to switch buses and go further, etc.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My commute to work is 13 miles one way. I have found that I'm much more conscious of where I'm driving--trying to bundle errands together so as to save gas. Not quite so eager to jump in the car for a spur-of-the-moment ride. It hurts a bit more than usual, because my hours at work have been cut, so I'm getting less in my paycheck and spending more in gas.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike- I think everyone understands that using the bus/train/light rail...what have you, will never be as fast as car, or be door to door. The point here is that it's not just a 20, 30, even 45 minute addition and a short walk... for most it's HOURS of extra time and extreme distances. The only way the bus makes any sense is if one's work and home are anywhere close to a transit line. Personally for me, my home is somewhat close, but my suburban sprawl office park is at least a mile from a bus stop. Until gas is double or triple what it is today, I can't imagine using the bus. I can save more by just eating out less , or brown bagging lunch, or not stopping off at Beaners in the morning.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those wonderfull Suv owners have to feeling the pinch now as prices have soared. I noticed the prices jumped as well overnight. I saw mostly around 3.25 to 3.39 or more per gallon as I drove to work today in Troy. Now people have a right to laugh at Suv owners. Especially the one's who own the really huge ones...this goes out to any who owns a H2 or H3. Glad I don't own a Suv(stupid useless vehicle).

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine put it perfectly - if you need to take only one bus and take no transfers, it can sorta maybe work.

But we're a car town, and that ain't changing. We'll get poorer as our money goes down the drain until which point the gas gets expensive enough that a hybrid or the like makes sense (and we're getting there).

I want better mass transit; but it ain't going to happen on a big scale anytime soon enough to make a difference.

As to driving, I already keep my trips low, driving less than 20 minutes a day and will occasionally bus it if the time is there and it's warm enough. I actually enjoy the bus trip and it saves on parking, but not when it's 10 degrees out. I work too hard to punish myself like that, especially since the buses are so irregular and infrequent.

My home's carbon footprint is already 40% of the national average, between recycling, energy efficiencies, buying green power, etc. I think I'm doing pretty good so far.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those wonderfull Suv owners have to feeling the pinch now as prices have soared. I noticed the prices jumped as well overnight. I saw mostly around 3.25 to 3.39 or more per gallon as I drove to work today in Troy. Now people have a right to laugh at Suv owners. Especially the one's who own the really huge ones...this goes out to any who owns a H2 or H3. Glad I don't own a Suv(stupid useless vehicle).

I would think that a majority of owners of vehicles that cost upwards of 50k aren't changing their lifestyles because one good costs 20% more than last year.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on March 12, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But we're a car town, and that ain't changing.

Change or die.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think carpooling & mass transit will help out with some with the rising gas prices. A moped doesn't sound like a bad idea, but how far I drive it would be good. A motorcycle would work better.

Yes this is a car town. People need to realize that driving a big vehicle really isn't that practicle anymore. Some families will probably buy another car for back and forth to work transportation. Ive been thinking of getting rid of my car I own now and getting something more efficent on gas.

Galexc
Username: Galexc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought an AWD V8 truck last summer like a dummy because of all the driving and hauling I have to do. But I'm going to demand more $$$ per job due to the current gas crisis....in the meantime I'm working on fixing my old car to get it running again....I can't do the bus!

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here can't do the bus/mass transit where I live. Im up in the Chesterfield/New Baltimore area. The area I live in is nice and quiet.

I understand that if you need a vehicle for your job or etc that requires a pickup or etc that's your choice and thats why you need it. But most people out there really didn't think when buying a vehicle and just went on based that everyone has one I need one to keep up with the jones's mentallity.

My dad traded in his 2004 Yukon because of the increasing gas prices and got himself a 08' Impala.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Then you choose to pay whatever gasoline costs. End of argument.""

yep, and i never argued about the price of gas...

have a good day

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my take on this, something I started the first time gas hit two-fifty.

I work in two different places and I live far from both of them. They are not close to each other. I can't take the bus all the time, for various reasons, but I do pretty frequently. The $49.50 I spend (for the regional pass) each month saves me at least $100 to $120 in gas when it's $2.95 a gallon.

The bus takes longer, admittedly, but I can do work of various types on the bus, or sleep, or read, and I can arrange things in bad weather so I'm not waiting in the elements. Also, the buses are not unsafe or particularly dirty, despite what people seem to think.

DDOT has all its schedules online, www.ridedetroittransit.com, in a nice printable "pdf" format, and SMART has viewable schedules online at www.smartbus.org (but I've found those don't print particularly cleanly). Each bus system also has a number you can call for bus info: (313) 933-1300 for DDOT and (866) 962-5515 for SMART. Each accepts the other's transfers, but I recommend the pass for frequent users, saves all the hassle of bills, change and transfers.

By the way, Civil, New Baltimore has a dozen buses a day toward Mt. Clemens/Detroit, and two buses a day to/from Port Huron (Blue Water Transit).

It now costs me $73.00 to fill up the minivan, and I can't drive the nice old gas-sipping Contour because the seventeen year old is using it. So I have my chauffeur driven limo pick me up :-)

Prof. Scott

Thejurist
Username: Thejurist

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you considered living closer to work. The math is simple. You can save hundreds of dollars per year on gas and even more if you include oil changes, tire wear and other maintenance costs. At 3.20 per gallon/20 mile per gallon average x 20 mile commute each way - $6.40 per day; $8.00 per day when gas reaches $4.00 per gallon.

Combine that with moving into a condo with an NEZ and lower you property taxes.

The combined savings would be substantial. Plus you can walk/ride a bike/moped whatever to work, sporting events, etc.

You can be the envy of your friends!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the DetroitYES forums Thejurist. :-)

We had that argument just before the joined the conversation.

The conclusion is that you should live where you choose to live, even if your job is 500 miles away. However, keep your mouth shut about the gas prices/long commutes times and don't complain about it, especially if you won't do anything about it.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 12, 2008)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth is the oil is still the same, the value of the dollar is what is changing.

If you want to recognize why the value is going down consider who this nation owes money to.And then realize that there is a direct relationship between their currency valuations and ours.

There is no doubt that Asia and especially Japan have devalued currency to gain and enhance trade. The prime rate in Japan has not gone above a half percent for more than 15 years. BTW, Google Bank of Japan historical interest rates, there is no exageration. Their banking system is inept and corrupt. But rather than "bite the bullet" they have passed their problem on to us. People it is that simple. When you borrow a $100 from somebody and they use interest rates to make it only worth $90 somebody pays and it is us.

Wake up people, there is no global economy. No you can't use Japanese interest rates to finance your debt and don't you wish you could? And since you can't the term "global economy" is a fraud.

So we are lowering interest rates to "sort of" fight back. But all we are doing is putting a finger in the dam while the hole is the size of a truck. And we will screw Europe in the long run if we make the mistake of matching Asia. But at least Europe is so gullible as we are. They still understand the fraud that "protectionism is evil". Protectionism isn't evil. It's nationalism with a different name.

You want to see the dollar go up? Fuel prices go down? Stop buying Asian crap. You will hang them out to dry just like they are doing to us. And avoid their surrogates too. A Toyota "built" in Kentucky subsidizes their fraud.

Think about it. They don't pay Americans in Kentucky anywhere near what they pay to Japan workers. There's a reason why.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angry dad, I totally support the buy American angle, but buying Japanese products isn't what weakens the dollar. It's the deficit in government spending.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott how much longer does the bus take for you? Is it a big difference or just a little?
That is good you made the change.

Do you live in the city or suburbs?

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have you considered living closer to work. "

In this housing market, that may not be a possibility. Especially if you can't sell you're home for enough to cover the mortgage.

(Message edited by sturge on March 12, 2008)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

I'm on a farm, so I have to drive a short distance to the bus (or, in nice weather, bicycle to it). My in-town rides are not much longer by bus than by car (35 minutes vs. 25) but my ride home is 1:40 vs 0:45. Rapid transit would make a big difference there, someday, we hope. I live 10 minutes from one of the freight tracks that could someday double as a commuter rail track.

I actually prefer DDOT over SMART because lots of DDOT routes run at 10 to 20 minute intervals during the day but almost all the SMART routes are hourly at best. I don't have to be an expert trip planner to use DDOT (mostly). SMART has nicer buses though.

Prof. Scott

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, oil and gas and everything else associated with it; which is everything in the modern economy, are only going to get more expensive. Check out www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net if you want more information.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive for a living, so I just have to absorb the cost.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 719
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We now hear in the news that the ever popular perception of demand and supply no longer holds true because of the falling dollar currency and speculators trading crude oil commodities aggressively.

Even though people like us are using less gas, and demand has dropped; even though increased production has seen the supply rise as of late; we are still going to face $4 per gallon gas prices in the very near future. This matter appears to be out of our control at this point because we have answered the call to conserve and to reduce.

The bottom line is that we are way too dependent on petroleum and all petroleum-based products. Hence, we are practically fucked. Our business and political leaders need to have the vision and foresight to get us all out of this dependency IMMEDIATELY. It's probably too late to prevent ourselves from being screwed - the best we can do is to prevent our children and grand-children from being screwed. Let's keep this in mind when we support our business leaders' ventures and elect our political leaders to serve in public office.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the falling dollar is our fault: we are spending billions on the non-war in Iraq and our deficit remains high.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really do limit my driving. Whereas a few years ago, I would have thought nothing of driving to Troy and Oakland Mall, or to see a movie at the Cinemark, now I am really trying to be much more local. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and I can really get some walking in. With an infant, making the 40 minute round trip walk to the grocery store in the winter is not cool, however spring, summer and fall it is a real option. I also have realized that I can get virtually everything I need within 3 miles of my house, that includes food, clothes, household goods, etc..however with the way everything is going, I am looking into where things are made a lot more seriously and I am trying to buy American or at least buy secondhand. I just wish my husband hadn't bought a gas guzzling continental for me because "It's safer for the baby" than my relatively efficient Alero...grrrr

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg jdkeepsmiling, what a CHILLING forecast for the future, everyone read his link!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I changed my habits a few years or so ago, and am still changing gradually.

For years my job was up in Auburn Hills. I could have cut tons of dirving out by living up there, but I think I might want to shoot myself out of boredom if I lived up there. I live in GPP and work was the only thing that was a hike - everything else I need and most things I want are close by, usually close enough (<12ish miles) to bike if I feel like it.

Really it is just the same kind of choice made by people who like to live in bland, car-dependent suburbs and commute into the city for work, but in the other direction since my personal priorities are sort of reversed.

So while I had a 33-mile commute to DCX, I can walk or bike everything in my neighborhood, bike to downtown, midtown and SW Detroit, and when I feel like dirving it is close by and easy to get to.

The changes I started making a few years ago were to shift much more of my bike riding (about 2400 miles last year) towards 'practical' riding, e.g. my Saturday shopping, going to movies, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.