Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MLK Students Hold On To Olympic Dreams: How You Can Help « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of my Myspace friends posted this and I thought it was a good cause...

I was up early this morning and watched a story on channel 4 where they were talking about MLK High School being asked to play at the Olympics. Well, this group needs $240,000 to pull this off. At this time they only have $40,000 and they need the rest by April. So, what does that mean to you and me? It means that our city has a chance to rise above the bullshit of what others write about us and prove that we can accomplish the impossible when we choose to do so. This band is more than a group of students, it a representation of all of us as a city, our hopes and dreams, our desires to be seen as a world class city. Well, world class cities take care of their own, so I am asking you to join me in raising this $200,000 for Martin Luther King High School so they can represent the best city in the United States on a world stage.
The school is asking that 200,000 Detroiters donate $1.00 each and that would cover the cost of the trip. Well, I think we can do that. If you can’t help, just forward the message to others, please.

Here is all the information you need to make a donation:
If you are interested in donating to help send Martin Luther King Jr. High School students to China you can send checks to:

Michigan First Credit Union

ML King Band

27000 Evergreen

Lathrup Village, MI 48076

All donations can be brought to any Michigan First Credit Union and put in the M. L. King Band account Bottles, cans and $1.00 can be brought to King H. S. Monday-Friday from 8:00AM-5:00PM

Band phone number 313-566-2440

Michigan First Credit Union Locations:

· 27000 Evergreen, Lathrup Village

· 21650 Gratiot, Eastpointe

· New Center One Building , Suite 201 3031 West Grand Blvd. , Detroit

· 7700 Puritan Avenue , Detroit

· Maccabees Building - Suite 1300 5057 Woodward Avenue , Detroit

· Student Center Building 5221 Gullen Mall, Detroit

or you can call: 248-443-4600 or 313-345-7200

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so glad that you posted this...i was going to send this to our alumni association committee for MLK too just in case

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on the news Friday. When they said that the were taking cans, I wasn't quite sure if they were taking the cans at the school or wanted us to cash the empties in and bring money. Now that it has been clearly defined, I have about 50 dollars in clean cans that I plan on giving to MLK for the cause. In addition, I plan on donating $100 dollars to the fund on Friday at the bank.

I have always been a supporter of the MLK Marching Band.(Not bad for a Cass Technician Huh?) I plan on contributing to both schools for the rest of my days.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also saw the news about MLK. While I'm not rolling in dough I can see my way clear to donate better than a dollar. Thanks for the donation info.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of 96' stand up!! I'll be in the new center in the morrow.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

96? what's your name Brag? I am c/o 96 too...maiden name West

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

robert, C.P.L.A

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright then..i was CISC so I would most likely know you by face...you are going to make me look in my yearbook!

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSAT c/o 2003!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering c/o 90 here. We are helping. My mother was in the first graduating class at King

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe we need to start a new thread called "shout out your year", and Mrsjdaniels I was out of town on picture day so no pic but I'm in the 'voted most likely section.

oh yea 7mile stand up!

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay- i'll check you out...how are you going to miss picture day?

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay you guys...King got a big boos but still needs about 45K more dollars...PLEASE HELP

and to think - KK is seeking money for his defense fund when these students have an opportunity for a life changing experience

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, KK loves this city.

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great cause but China does not deserve students from MLK coming there. King was about non-violence not beating protesters. Tibet is a example of what the Chinese government is and we should not support any of it efforts. Play here, spend here, support here. Just my two cents.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5828
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks for the post. I SWEAR they showed this on one newscast I watched, and then didn't give any information on how to give!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for the cause!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright all you DPS teachers out there...time to step up and donate! If EACH teacher in DPS gave just 5 bucks, the kids could make their goal. Let's help them raise more than their goal!!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did it!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/frontpage

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.