Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Superbowl 2012 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.azcentral.com/news/ articles/0306superbowl0307.htm l

Obviously Arizona has the weather on there side, but Detroit definitely could beat out Indianapolis. Superbowl XL received praise from the media and visitors. Why shouldn't Detroit make another bid to host the game?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on now, don't be ridiculous. A northern city won't have a Super Bowl twice in a decade...

Besides, by that time, Indianapolis will be due a Super Bowl for the same (and only) reason Detroit got one...new stadium.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indianapolis just seems a bizarre place for the Super Bowl. But the NFL was ready to guarantee Kansas City (another non-sexy, rather small, "northern" city) a Super Bowl if the taxpayers approved a retractable roof stadium (they didn't), so Indy it probably will be in 2012.

Detroit did a great job and I think we WILL get another Super Bowl ... just more in the 2020 time range.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually heard something about the NFL choosing a few cities to host on a rotation basis.

I believe it included, Detroit, New Orleans, Miami, Arizona and one other city...

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Come on now, don't be ridiculous. A northern city won't have a Super Bowl twice in a decade... "

Pontiac Superbowl XVI 1982
Minneapolis Superbowl XXVI 1992

I believe thats 2 Northern cities twice in a decade!

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/h istory

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A SINGLE northern city.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a different article

"Detroit put on a good Super Bowl in 2006, but there was some grumbling that the volunteers were mostly from the suburbs and couldn't give accurate directions to the downtown events."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It couldn't hurt so why not? Stranger things have happened.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 592
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter2k7, kind of a stretch dontchya think?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NFL rewards northern cities with a Super Bowl if they build the team a new, domed stadium.

DET, Indy, K.C., and D.C. if they build one in the next dozen years.

Considered a win-win.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 882
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Detroit put on a good Super Bowl in 2006, but there was some grumbling that the volunteers were mostly from the suburbs and couldn't give accurate directions to the downtown events."

Ever try to give walking directions from the Fox to Greek Town to someone from out of town?

They something like this:

"Take Woodward south to Grand Circus - which isn't a circus - and go leftish and find Broadway which isn't very broad, go sort of south until it stops, except it doesn't stop it just changes its name to Randolph, keep going south until you get to Monroe and take that a couple of blocks until you get to GreekTown, which isn't a town, it is really just a part of one block. Actually it's about 6 or 7 resturants and a dive bar.

Sure, its real f-ing easy giving directions in Detroit. jeeze

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question that does not fit any other thread and i dont want to devote an entire thread to it so i will ask it here.

Wha tis the large brick building behind (south) of ford field? Its the building with two large stacks on its roof...

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The brick building with the stacks is a DTE Energy building.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read after Super Bowl XL, that the NFL said it was "quite possible" that Detroit would indeed host another bowl in the future.

Since Ford Motor Company is a major advertiser, and W.C. Ford is well respected among the owners, its not really such a pie in the sky idea at all. Especially since W.C. Ford Jr. is such a community booster.

Of coarse, I think 2020 might be more in line as the next one as well.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit lacks the logistics to host a Super Bowl.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please remember ARCHER made the pitch to the Superbowl committee.

I can't find the article, but every team that went to the host city to pitch for their city said ARCHER blew it away.

KK, and his administration could never pull that off.

IMOA, ARCHER and PENSKE could bring the olympics to DETROIT too.

<313>

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a good idea to host the Superbowl again here. Just they need to come up with a better plan for the homeless then they did last time.

They bussed them out & then moved them back in once the game was over. It brought some good revenue to the city. It's all up to the people who are on the comittee that deceide where the superbowl will be held.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Indianapolis just seems a bizarre place for the Super Bowl.

Why is Indy any more bizarre than Detroit? They are building a new stadium as well.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Indy for the first time for a professional conference. Had a great time. Their downtown is compact and walkable, with great restaurants. Wouldn't mind going again soon...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever Detroit hosts another Super Bowl, it will be before the Lions get to one.

Rax

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZING!

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indy really wouldn't be a bad place to host. They have one of the cleanest big cities you'll see in this country, the dome is connected to the convention center and there's plenty of hotel space in the surrounding area with good roads to get the people around.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Why is Indy any more bizarre than Detroit? They are building a new stadium as well."

The Super Bowl's a grade-A "big time" event, but Indianapolis falls short of "big time" American cities, at least in my opinion. For all Detroit's problems, we're still among our country's top 10 cities.

Indy's metro is half the size of Detroit Metro ... it's comparable to Cincinnati (where I now live).

I lived in Detroit during the Super Bowl, the thought of Cinci (if a Ford Field-like stadium was present here) being able to host such an event is laughable. The Jacksonville Super Bowl was NOT a well-received event.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just be satisfied we're hosting the Stanley Cup Finals, NBA Championship and World Series this yr.:}

Rax

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For all Detroit's problems, we're still among our country's top 10 cities.

Top 10 in what?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Super Bowl's a grade-A "big time" event, but Indianapolis falls short of "big time" American cities, at least in my opinion. For all Detroit's problems, we're still among our country's top 10 cities."

I'm not hip onto sports, but I'm sure Detroit isn't one of the top 10 largest cities in the country.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 12, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see Detroit host the Olympics.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd rather see Detroit host the Olympics."

Yeah, we just need some bull dog corporations to win them over.

It worked for Atlanta...

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Indpls. beats Detroit hands down in the downtown department.

New Lucas Oil Stadium

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, we just need some bull dog corporations to win them over.

Something like General Motors, Ford, etc?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not hip onto sports, but I'm sure Detroit isn't one of the top 10 largest cities in the country.

Detroit was a top 10 largest city when it was given the Super Bowl.

Rax

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit was a top 10 largest city when it was given the Super Bowl.

Why the hell does that matter?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Something like General Motors, Ford, etc?"

They did have an impact in 1968, but not enough to win over the Olympics. Not to mention, they were MUCH BIGGER corporations. They sure aren't going to have an impact today. The Japanese and Germans could claim the same thing.

Besides, the Big 3 are all we generally have.

The rest of our corporations don't have as big of an impact like Coke or Turner does.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why the hell does that matter?

It doesn't. Read the context.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Club_boss, Indy and Detroit are on the same level when it comes to sports entertainment.

And besides, Indy is only 200,000 people short of surpassing Detroit in population. So that doesn't hold a candle to the situation.

Rax

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2390
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have a question that does not fit any other thread and i dont want to devote an entire thread to it so i will ask it here.

Wha tis the large brick building behind (south) of ford field? Its the building with two large stacks on its roof..."

Don't speak to soon, nor do you have to dedicate a thread to the subject--it has already been done and it is still active:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/130867.html?1205282957

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would fully disagree that Indy is on a level with Detroit sports wise. Minor league hockey and baseball can not compare to the majors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.