Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Drink up that Detroit City Water! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 80309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_ i

kind of gross that our water is included in this. Glad I drink from the water cooler "office style"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11783
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another issue: There's evidence that adding chlorine, a common process in conventional drinking water treatment plants, makes some pharmaceuticals more toxic.

Hoping that distillation removes this crap...it is supposed to get rid of chlorine, with its lower boiling point.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to get a water cooler system at home. Any recommends for a company/service?

Chitaku

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i bought a cooler at target for 60 and buy my jugs at Food Patch on 9 mile in Ferndale

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4752
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. Suddenly Porta-John's whacky idea about salvaging "human-sourced pharmaceuticals" doesn't sound so whacky anymore.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the public "doesn't know how to interpret the information" and might be unduly alarmed."

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's to interpret? You're not paying for/drinking clean water and should be outraged.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5532
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a completely unrelated note, I wonder why autism rates have been going up so much.

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do the drugs get into the water?

People take pills. Their bodies absorb some of the medication, but the rest of it passes through and is flushed down the toilet.

The above is from todays newsletter de obviouso.
But seriously folks, If you don't want to act shocked when you here news like this take a few minutes to learn about what your jamming down your pie-hole. In more populated areas of europe they are having this same problem but with goodies like cocaine and amphetamines. On top of all the stuff in the article did you know antibiotics have only like 10-30% absorbtion rate? That means the other 70-90% is flushed down the toilet. I assume most of you passed 8th grade science so I won't go into why having diluted antibiotics in the enviroment is bad.

quote:

Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals,

This is another no s_it! For example, Aquafina lists its source as "municipal source" AKA the detroit river.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise's response is the typical "stupid american" response that the guy in the article was warning about.

If you think drinking bottled water is any "safer" you people are silly.

In any case, the foods you eat have rat droppings, hair, spit, and other things that you might otherwise consider "disgusting" and it's perfectly legal.

Maybe you should stop eating, drinking or breathing. I recommend the first one to all of the idiots who post here. :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitrise's response is the typical "stupid american" response that the guy in the article was warning about."

Actually, no.

When I said drinking water, I didn't specify rather I meant bottled or tap water.

It shows your lack of reading comprehension.

However, the article makes it seems as if people like you are too dumb to understand we're not drinking clean water.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 09, 2008)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina,

While I agree with you that drinking bottled water may not be safer, I have to object to your rudeness.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4755
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main might chime in on this thread.

My understanding is that Detroit water is required to be tested far more often than is bottled water.

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 09, 2008)

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv ? (retired water dep't) How often was the water checked?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4591
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO spring water is the best option. Others like Dasani [Coke] and Aquifina [Pepsi] are just treated tap water.

I have had Absopure spring water delivered for about 20 years now. I gave up on 'Lake St. Clair crude' back then following yet another major Sarnia chemical spill. Also sprawl in Macomb County had turned the Clinton River into a open untreated sewer every time it rained.

The Absopure well is in the Irish Hills, high on the watershed and about as good as can be hoped for although I am sure some agricultural chemicals must be making their way into the aquifers. It is very good tasting and worth the $20-30 a month for that alone.

Having a water cooler with cold tasty water is also an incentive to drink it as opposed to pops or coffee.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, maybe you should check your own reading comprehension. (Whatever you mean by that...)

While the first paragraph was directed towards your comment, the next paragraph was directed towards others who were talking about drinking bottled water. I made no claims about you in particular other than that you're comment is very typical of the average American: That this article states the water we are drinking is unsafe.

In reality, our body can easily handle the amount of impurities found in tap water. The amount is insignificant, especially that of pharmaceuticals. To think that this is a "problem" when people in the developing world don't even have access to clean water is actually embarrassing.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever is in the water doesn't bother me. I have other things to worry about like the sun shining on me or getting radon poisoning in my basement! Let's face it, if it passes quality standards it's fine.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it curious that a post I made last night was responded to by Thoswolfe but doesn't show up in this thread. Is there another similarly titled discussion?
Thoswolfe, Detroit water is continuously monitored for turbidity and chlorine residual, when chlorine is used. There are monthly tests for chemicals that would be among those listed in the article. I'd like to see how they came to the conclusion that Detroit water is contaminated by these substances and at what level of contamination.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually this is somewhat old news. I read an articles years back that the hormones from birth control pills, etc. were causing females to enter puberty and menopause earlier than before.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line is that everyone is affected whether you drink bottled water, distilled water or whatever. I'm sure most of you don't bathe in distilled water. I'm sure you don't cook with bottled water. And your Pur filtration system isn't removing the stuff like sex hormones from the water.

Buckrogers313
Username: Buckrogers313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

city water is regulated by the government. Bottled water is not. City water gets tested every hour at plants for things that would harm the public. Also what happens to these plastic bottles when you are done drinking. They have to be processed and this contributes to pollution.

Buckrogers313
Username: Buckrogers313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also city water is not distilled because this removes many of the important nutrients that we need.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem...

I have took the opportunity read the report by the AP. Please take into consideration that we are one of a few countries that actually has drinkable water. Te quantities of these drugs in the drinking water, if they are in there, are minute. We are talking about I part per trillion to 1 part per quadrillion. I think the entire article is a bit farfetched. Even so they spoke of New York's water not having any drugs in it at all.

This is a very active topic. In my readings from the AWWA and the Michigan section of the AWWA these concerns are always being researched and addressed. The state of Michigan, as many know has the largest (20 percent) concentration of fresh water surrounding it. There is a lot of effort being taken to keep the water clean.

I don't think there is much need for concern with the AP's report. We have to realize that this is the same water that has been here since the beginning of time. It is up to us to do as much as possible to keep it clean and on my end, we monitor the water at every stage of production and distribution.

Excuse me while I go get a glass.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No, New York's water hasn't been tested yet.

What is scary was this report I was reading about how those miniscule amounts of pharmaceuticals are affecting the food supply...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23 504633/

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected.

By the way, if anyone needs membership to the AWWA feel free to contact me so I can get you rolling with all of the information that will keep you on top of what is taking place in the water industry.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is front page news here in Chicago

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.