Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Architectural Salvage Warehouse « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just visited for the first time today. They save historical architectural elements from ending up in landfills. You can browse of what is currently in stock on their website.

http://www.aswdetroit.org/

The guy there was really nice. I bought an old hand-held pump fire extinguisher that was in beautiful shape, made in Detroit, complete with its mounting bracket. Once I start remodeling my hallway, I'm going to pick up some solid wood 5-panel doors from there. My doors are not solid panel, and I can see through the paint that the plywood panels have cracks.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5533
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the item I picked up.

Here's an old ad for it.

Check this place out, it is non-profit, provides an important community service, and is a great place to pick up all sorts of local historical architectural elements. Sometimes they even have clawfoot tubs.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much of the stuff was stripped illegally from the buildings...probably at least some of it, even if they say it was all obtained through proper channels.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This organization does the salvage work themselves. They'll carefully deconstruct a house instead of the usual demolition. It takes longer, but up to 80% or so of a house or building can be recycled in this manner. I doubt anything they have was obtained illegally. Check out their web site, it seems like a great organization.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spoke to a guy there once who told me the city does not allow them to salvage anything from houses being demolished by the city---it all goes to the landfill. I seem to recall him telling me they have to go to other towns to get the materials they sell. I found this sad---Detroit should have the best architectural salvage warehouse in the country. the one we have is nice and I certainly respect what they're doing, but it doesn't even compare to ones I've seen in other cities. I have struggled for years to even understand the city's logic on this, but then again, I often struggle with the city's logic on almost everything.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5534
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does not come from their deconstruction is donated to them by construction companies doing demo or renovations. They don't purchase items that people bring in (that may have been stolen). I asked some careful questions when I was there, because I shared Burnsie's concerns.

I don't think they've been around too long, hopefully they will continue to grow. But even now there are two stories of a warehouse full of items.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, thanks for a good thread. ASWD is a great organization and I hope more people learn about them.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 758
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool site...I have sink that i just took out of my kitchen that is selling for $350.00
Craigslist here i come.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really great organization I took a tour last semester. Its a shame the city is so stingy on salvage from demos. I would like to see neighborhood organizations use the city demo lists to harvest salvage from buildings to be demoed in their neighborhoods for future use within the neighborhood. That way some pieces of the past can remain with in the area.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to bag on ASWD, but it seems like they are off to a good start. But they could use to be a tad more selective in what they take in.

If you want high end stuff that has been restored, try www.materialsunlimited.com in yipsi

If you like a good halfway between the two, try my favorite at Toledo Architectural Artifacts Inc. or http://www.coolstuffiscool.com

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city should have let them do the Tiger Stadium salvage. They would have done a much better job than the hacks that were in charge.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4840
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good people. If you have a house that you want torn down, these people will do it for a nominal fee, but because they are non-profit, the entire cost becomes a tax deduction.
I wish they had come 15 years earlier...I gave them some of the leftovers from my last restoration.
Materials Unlimited has nicer stuff, sure, but the prices are double.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.