Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WSU trying to partner with Red Wings on an arena « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The proposed arena on WSU's campus would be for WSU hockey program (would it be revitalized? could it get into the CCHA?) and Wings' practice.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPO RTS08/803070404/1048/sports

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they just play @ J. Louis?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good point Thegryphon. Why should not WSU's hockey team just partner up with the Red Wings now? Why should the issue of a new area make any difference?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the AD's idea, a lot. D1 hockey on campus would be great for the WSU student community.

Why not pitch one of those massive sites there at Warren/Lodge for the actual new Wings' arena? Well located practically at the intersection of four highways...the opportunity to add a different element (and a lot more demand) to the midtown economy and nightlife...and very little harm to downtown because the people who are willing to go out afterwards still will head downtown. Plus no concerns about tearing down more Foxtown buildings.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Midtown arena sounds nice, but the Warren/Lodge location is a terrible idea. Suburbanites in reality would just be on their way back to Oakland and Macomb Counties.

Besides, I don't understand what's wrong with building the Hockey Arena in Foxtown.

It would eliminate the blank slate (much of the land isn't occupied) and bring more life into the area.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the article, this isn't talking about a new Red Wings arena at all.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Read the article, this isn't talking about a new Red Wings arena at all."

I was responding to Mackinaw, not the article (even though I read it already).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5478
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Face it. Even in Detroit, hockey is a dying spectator sport--much like soccer. The Red Wings are even offering $9 seats for those games at the end of its regular season because, like last year, there are lots of empty seats at the Joe. Even empty post-season game seats...

I don't see any new hockey rink being built anytime soon because funding the Tigers is a higher priority than dumping money down a rat hole.

But if WSU plays their games at the Joe, good!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4485
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not talking about a new arena, but I was.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, Little Caesars Pizza and Olympia Entertainment are completely different business ventures and their success - or lack of success - has no effect on the others. There is no such thing as the Tigers being a higher priority than the Red Wings. They are all equally important to the people who handle those individual businesses.

What does this have to do with WSU and the Wings potentially working together? Nothing! Thread Jack! Get over it!

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, you are the font of pessimism.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me try to get this thread back on course:

Most (I believe that is correct) NHL teams do not practice on their home arena's ice.

One reason is that sometimes the boards need to be taken down for other events.

Another would be that the team would need the ice for the entire pre-season.

I believe the Capitals have their practice arena in Arlington, VA.

Where do the Wings practice during the season?

Secondly, remodeling the Joe or building a new arena is almost entirely a different question then having a practice arena.

Also, the site at Lodge and Warren is only big enough for a practice arena. And that would eat up a lot of parking for Adams Field.

No way could one build a full NHL arena there.

Parking? If they built an NHL arena there there wouldn't be 100 parking spaces.

How would the other 19,000 get there or park?

AND, last but not least, folks would drive to the arena, get out, watch, and drive home.

Fans would hate it!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 596
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is Youtube on the Capitals new practice facility in Arlington, VA (they used to practice in Md.).

It should make DaninDC proud. It is in a multi-story, multi-use building and at a subway (Ballston) stop.

Actual the concept is similar to the Griswold - put something on top of a parking garage. Instead of residences, how about a hockey practice facility?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6Jo5hi4_U1g

(Message edited by emu steve on March 09, 2008)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On 2nd thought, if the Wings and WSU built an ice arena at Lodge and Warren it would eat up all the parking there.

I believe there is a large parcel - corner of Warren and the Lodge which is used for parking.

The rest of the area bounded by Trumbull, Warren, 94, and the Lodge is used for Adams Field (FB), baseball stadium, tennis courts, Matthei building and I believe a softball field (I was there Labor Day weekend and walked the area).

I believe across Warren is a strip shopping mall and St. Dominic's Catholic Church at Trumbull and Warren.

There actually aren't acres of undeveloped land there.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Wings practice at City Arena near the Mount Olive Cemetery. Good Ice...also home to the GPS and GPN teams...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They Practice at the Troy Sports Center at 16 and John R.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wings use both arenas. There have been rumors of a new arena replacing the Matthei for a few years now. It is supposed to propel WSU hoops to Division 1 much like Oakland.

D_mcc

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they must have moved...Thats where they practiced when I played in the Michigan Metro league in the summer...but that was back in 1998-2002

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A Midtown arena sounds nice, but the Warren/Lodge location is a terrible idea. Suburbanites in reality would just be on their way back to Oakland and Macomb Counties.

Oy, give me a break DR! The way you talk, if a metro rail line goes in, and spurs development next to it, you'll complain because it's too easy to get back to the suburbs! Of course development tends to happen near convenient transit routes, be that expressways or rail lines or whatever.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oy, give me a break DR! The way you talk, if a metro rail line goes in, and spurs development next to it, you'll complain because it's too easy to get back to the suburbs! Of course development tends to happen near convenient transit routes, be that expressways or rail lines or whatever."

Actually, I have no problem with the metro line.

Please explain, how would a hockey Arena right near the expressway affect Midtown or Downtown in this crazy region of ours?

I really don't think people would go out of their ways for no reason after a tiring sports game.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I believe WSU would like to have a basketball arena there and I believe a separate hockey arena too.

I still don't know where they would put two arenas!!

Thanks for the info on where the Wings practice now.

It puts the question into perspective and frames the issue nicely:

Do they want to practice in Troy and city arena or practice a few miles from their home arena?

I now see why the WSU AD, Fournier, sees a chance to sell the Ilitches on a WSU-based practice arena.

BTW, here is a link to the aerial shots of the WSU 'athletic campus'.

http://wsuathletics.cstv.com/v iew.gal?id=3078&template=playe r_gallery

Some of the shots (esp. the FB field) aren't that good, but it does show the parking area adjacent to Matthei. The rest are the baseball field, FB field, softball fields, tennis courts.

In photo #1 one can see a bit of St. Dominic's church in the lower left hand corner.

Photo #3 is the baseball field, tennis courts, Matthei, the parking area, and Warren at the very bottom.

Photo #5 doesn't show where an arena would be built but is a very nice photo of the baseball field, tennis courts and spruced up FB stadium (the FB stadium has been spruced up more since this photo was taken).

(Message edited by emu steve on March 09, 2008)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It would eliminate the blank slate (much of the land isn't occupied) and bring more life into the area."

Yes and this could happen anywhere in Detroit the Red Wings decide to build!

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont most teams in College Hockey have much smaller arena than NHL teams anyways?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound:

Think WSU would want about 3K seats.

That would work for Wayne and allow fans to watch Wings' practices.

Miami(O) beautiful arena seats 3K. MIA was ranked #1 in the country a few weeks ago over UofM.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the Red Wings players have to pay personal Income tax on their practice and training time? Taxes they don't pay now because they don't practice in the city?

Just wondering. I'm not a hockey or tax expert, but I've wondered how the professional athletes are charged their tax rates.

If the Red wings play 30 - 50 games a year, and if they train and practice in Troy, does that mean the athlete only pays taxes on 30 - 50 days?Why in the heck would they want to spend more time in Detroit paying taxes? Beside the scenic views, what is the draw?

Likewise, do the team that come here, do their players have to pay City of Detroit income taxes on money earned here?

just wondering...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY is crazy if he thinks soccer is dying.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu_Steve...whoever wrote those rankings is nuts.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6439
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY's mantra is "Barker's Law"... which states that Murphy (of "Murphy's Law") was an optimist... :-)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"LY is crazy if he thinks soccer is dying."

can't die if it never lived...

how do you find $9 wings tix? they list no such deals on their site, whereas the pistons are constantly running specials. just tried getting two tickets for three different games and ticktmaster said there are none available in any price

D_mcc

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it depends on where they paycheck comes from. Since Olympia and what not are based out of the Fox...I would assume that no matter where they practice they pay taxes to the city of Detroit, much like the Tigers.

The Lions on the other hand...pay taxes to Allen Park...which is ridiculous considering 99% of their property is in Dearborn...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw:

UofM and Miami were dueling for #1 in NCAA hockey.

When UofM visited Miami a few weeks ago, Miami was #1 and UofM #2.

UofM won one and tied the other and went back as #1.

Miami had become #1 when UofM lost the previous weekend.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Mackinaw, I assume that the people involved in the rankings - coaches and press - know a bit more about college hockey than you do. I understand that you find it hard to believe that UM is not ranked 1st in something, but it happens.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if they just extend the People Mover up to WSU instead?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a HUGE fan of college hockey. It is my no. 1 sport, and I am loving the attention that it is getting in public circles lately. Sadly, I hate that this story has been taken so poorly out of context.

I was at the first ever WSU home hockey game in 1999 when they sold out the fairgrounds with nearly 6,000 people. I have been to about 30 games since then and the largest crowd was 750 (I am a compulsive box score checker, so I notice the official numbers).

Fact: WSU averaged 375 fans per game the last two seasons.
Fact: That is the lowest average in D1.
Fact: WSU does not support athletics on a scale remotely close to being able to support any D1 program, even in a single sport.

College Hockey is a niche sport. I am fine with that. I like that...it is part of why I love it so much. The fans that I see at Michigan State every weekend are the same people that were there when I was born into those seats 23 years ago.

Detroit is a professional sports town. College sports will never be a major draw here except for the occasional tournament (GLI, MCB, etc.). I am all for the growth of college hockey, but only under the right business model. Wayne State and Detroit is not the answer.

I am proud to be getting my degree from Wayne State in May, but I am ashamed at their piss poor attempt at an athletics program. Any smart administration knows this is a great tool to build community. Sadly, WSU has failed to do this for many years.

Psychgrad
Username: Psychgrad

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
Agreed - WSU would do well to invest more in at least 1 D1 team sport, such as football or basketball. Yes, we have amazing fencing, but a good football or basketball program can really help keep people around campus on weekends, build support for the school, etc. Not to mention the revenue that can be created, be it from attendance, or when games are televised. A school should not slash programs to build sports, but it seems WSU invests almost nothing. Playing Devil's advocate though, UofD-Mercy has D1 basketball, but you do not see it being talked about much around town...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the NCAA has a 1 sport policy when it comes to playing above your designated division, and currently there is a moratorium on moving up in single sports. That means that unless they move the entire program (not gonna happen anytime soon) then there is no chance at seeing D1.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.