Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Radio Memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nemoman
Username: Nemoman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my sister and I fighting our father in the early sixties over control of the car radio. Specifically, he liked to listen to WJR The Goodwill Station Detroit and its program carousel which I recall was unmitigated schmaltz. Then there were the ads: "Stay on the right track, to nine mile and Mack, Roy O'Brien's trucks and cars...." What kind of ad sticks in your brain for fourty years: " Which way did he go... He went for faygo. Oh yeah, does anyone remember the TV show Jingles In Boothland.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also another show on CKLW that featured "groaners' and Alan Hamel. He later moved to LA and married Suzan Summers.
Jerry Booth and his partner Larry Sands were pretty funny in a corny way.

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemoman: Thanks for the jingle on Faygo. We used to walk around with a transistor radio listening to the AM stations. Mostly WXYZ, I recall. I remember another classic that you may have heard. I used to take my girlfriend out (now my wife) and she had to be home by 12. The station that we listened to would play a Frank Sinatra song just before midnight. I only would hear it on the weekends - and I don't remember the song - although I will as soon as my brain kicks into a higher gear.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I Can't Get Started" ...

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An auto dealer ad I partly remember went like... Merollis, what a great, great guyyyy!!

My father also listen to WJR's schmaltz in the early-mid 60's and my younger brother and I would fight him for control of the station-wagon's radio. My brother would say to my father, "Not OTM (old-timer music) again! My father would always smile and chuckle.

One song amongst others we heard on WJR often in those days was by Nat King Cole: "Roll Out Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days Of Summer"

Rest in peace Dad, I miss you!!

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 09, 2008)

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 09, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's that old Roy O'Brien jingle,(MP3).
It even has that tinny AM sound.

http://www.royobrien.com/cimag es/RoyObrien_old.mp3

And some old clips from Detroit and Motor city Dragways, and Edgewater Park.

http://waterwinterwonderland.c om/audioclips.asp

Flanders_field

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid 60's, my mother, who became a early antique collector, bought me a used reel to reel tape recorder at a garage sale for my birthday.

I used a wire from the recorder with an alligator clip to connect it to our family's table radio's speaker, so I could record (in mono) The Big 8 CKLW's 60's music on a dozen or so 6" reels. I then could listen to them over the summer at our cottage on Lake Michigan in northwest Michigan, as there wasn't any local R&R or pop music broadcasts up north, unless I was lucky enough to be able to receive the static-hum distorted WLS AM radio station from Chicago on my small transistor radio, which was not often.

Wish that I still had all those tapes!! I recorded over them, and then eventually threw them out after the tape recorder bit the dust.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember battling with my dad over the car radio, too. He was really pissed when his favorite station changed to album oriented underground rock, CJOM-FM in Windsor. I would later do some volunteer/intern work at that station and eventually had a brief career in the radio biz, Honolulu of all places. Yes, rest in peace mom and dad, miss you guys.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 375
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the hits just keep on coming:

http://www.thebig8.net/

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom was a WJR listener, too. J.P. McCarthy in the morning, Jimmy Launce later.
I remember the same ads as everyone else, but the thing I want to mention is how, beginning every Friday afternoon, The Great Voice Of The Great Lakes would start in with that "great weekend" stuff. I used to think, what the fuck is so great about it, it's only Friday afternoon.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wish that I still had all those tapes!

You can buy CKLW airchecks on eBay. Some list what songs are played and some don't. I bought one and enjoy listening to it from time to time.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the sake of reliving my lost youth, there was a show on WJR that came after Karl Hass's "Adventures In Good Music" called "Kalidascope". On opening day whoever was hosting the show would play Wayne & Schuster's "Shakesperean Baseball Game". Not quite as good as "Rinse The Blood Off My Toga", but still....

Umpire 1: Hark! The players come. To our appointed places shall we go.
This game depends on how you make your call.
Farewell, until you hear me cry "Play ball!"

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Whorf was the creator and host of "Kaleidoscope" on WJR.

Limejasminelilac
Username: Limejasminelilac

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"that morollis what a great great guy. he'll save you money on that chevy buy.....That morollis what a great great guuuyyyyy" That's all I remember.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay3/3spotsGen eMerolis67.mp3

Ronjm23
Username: Ronjm23

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you recall the Vernors commercial that went, "In each bottle of Vernors you'll find the only flavor of its kind, Vernors Va Va Voom!"

Flanders_field

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link must be that Vernors' commercial, but I don't remember hearing it:

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay3/VernorsGi ngerAle.mp3

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to date myself, but I liked 89X back when it was alternative only in the evening. Then in the summer of 91, it went full time and was billed as 88.7, The Cutting Edge.

In the early days, it was pretty much a free form station, much like WABX back in the day. Many of the commercials sounded as if they were produced in someones basement. They even had a cool segment called "Expressions", with Kerri Burtrand that talked about the arts.

Then the powers to be changed to a formate and now we have 89X today, a pale image of itself.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember listening to my transistor radio religiously, listening to the Big 8. My brother (who is 7 years older than I) always said that Keener 13 was better. What does everyone else think? I still say CK was one of the best radio stations on the midwest dial.

Then there was the Electrifying Mojo, but that will start a thread jack.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WABX..WKNR FM..Real RockNRoll radio stations before the day of commercials taking over the airways..Playing sides of Albums..My Grandmother in Cleveland listened to JP everyday, perfect signal..He was her favorite

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry Knight back in 65 or 66, late evenings on CKLW. He would call a pirate station in England and Sonny Boy Williamson blowing harp live on the air- nothing cooler than that before or since. Early DET and ABX were unique and fun.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom's 66 mustang only had CKLW, Keener 13, progammed in. AM only. Remember the "Wixie Twin Spin" on WXYZ ?? When "Sally Go Round the Roses" made #1 on WJBK radio and Bob Greene left town for a week ?? I still have my WABX Air Aces t-shirt. Several sizes too small now.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WABX really shaped my attitude toward music. Thinking back to my teen years, I remember hearing songs on that station that I have not heard elsewhere in the past 30 years. (One that comes to mind, and I'm not even sure of the title, was, "Lily Do the Zambooji Every Time I Pull Her Coattail.") When they sponsored concerts and kite-ins, all their hippie-freak DJs came out and were movin' & groovin' with their radio audience and that was pretty cool.
Some years later, I enjoyed WDET the most, and the many flavors of their local programming. Does anyone remember "Caribbean Connection" with "Horatio, the Cultural Dread?" How 'bout "Blues From the Lowlands?" on Sunday mornings? The alternative shows, "Radios in Motion" or "Dimensions?" Over time, most of their DJs got fired in the name of progress. Too bad!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do it, Lily !
That was Melvin Van Peebles.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boom, chaka, chaka!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get a chance, listen to Tom Hanks introduction for the Dave Clark Five at last nights Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremonies. A great description of a) teenage angst and b) radio in the '60's.

I remember Steve Hunter on CKLW with that big, booming voice. So good was Steve, and so powerful was The Big 8's signal, that he was #1 in his time slot in Cleveland. Big enough, that the rocker there, WIXY hired him away from CK.....

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm,
I agree. Hanks' speech was amazing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.