Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cunningham's « Previous Next »
Archive through March 08, 2008Oladub30 03-08-08  3:37 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories...aaahhh...yes. On a funny note. It was there at the Cunninghams(Grand River and Oakman) that I bought my first box of condoms. I remember it like it was yesterday. I bought bubble gum, a doo rag, 2 comic books a Mad magazine, a flashlight and a brush. I put all of that stuff on top of the box of condoms.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that a friend got paid to picket Cunninghams...

And then they were gone.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday night at Cunninghams before going to the Civic Center Movies...was a big deal walking from Wayburn to the Civic Center to shop with about 50 cents in our pocket..at least we could get a comic book (still cringe at the thought of mom throwing my collection out)...

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main, that's the best story by far and the funniest! I won't even bother with my story!:-)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there one on the corner of Fourth and Washington (northwest side) in Royal Oak?

Ferndale had one at 9 Mile and Woodward, across 9 from Federals. Used to take my film there for developing.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on the corner of Goddard Rd. and Allen Rd. on the border of Allen Park.
It later became an Arbor Drugs and is now CVS.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger4me -

I remember Sears being on the NE corner and I believe Cunningham's was just opposite Sears on the NW corner.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger4me, I seem to remember it being kitty-corner from Sears, is that the SW corner? Sears was where the apartments are now and there is a grocery store where Cunningham's was. Eriedearie may be right, all I remember is we used to walk down Maxwell, cut over to Parker and through Sears parking lot, through Sears and out the front onto Gratiot, across the street and into Cunningham's, sit at the soda counter and order our flavored Cokes (one day cherry, next chocolate, lemon, etc.).

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won a rabbit from the one on 12 Mile Road in Warren when I was 4...it was a color-the-Easter-Bunny promo & I went with a Peter Max meets later era Louis Wain style. Considering my mom gave it away to friends with a farm when our Irish Setter made improper advances I too, would've preferred winning what Hermus Millsaps won

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 684
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cunningham's store was located at Grand River and Greenfield in our neighborhood. The building still exists there. They had the soda counter and I still remember checking out the candy bars for 5 and 10 cents.
It's too bad so many local businesses have gone under. CVS and their elk just don't seem very homey.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one at the Eastgate Shopping Center in Roseville, opposite end from the Federals store recalled in another thread.
First place I saw a Penthouse magazine; one of my bikes was stolen from outside that store, too.
Maybe I was being punished for the Penthouse thing.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cunnighams in Highland Park opposite Sears had the Kresge store surounding it. Imagine that the Kresge store was in the shape of an "L" and the Cunninghams store was nested in the middle of it. There was an entrance to the Kresge store on Woodward and you could walk through the store and exit on Sears avenue. Might have been the sort of the same way with the Sears at Oakman and Grand River if I remember right? Might have been the Sears store surounding another store?? Someone ,that remembers please correct me if I am wrong.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother-in-law at one time worked at most of the Cunningham's on the east side. I know she worked at Mack and St. Jean, on Harper, and Houston Whittier. I'll bet many of you dealt with her. Her name was Shirley, and she was a short lady with a lopsided smile. My late brother-in-law was a security guard at the downtown Cunningham's. Short very heavy Italian fellow named Vic. He caught lots of shoplifters.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had my first malted milk shake at the Cunningham's at 7 & Mack. My dad took me on errands and as a treat we went to the soda counter.

Please refresh my memory, was it a Cunningham's in the Village, GPP on the corner of St. Clair and Kercheval?

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dtctygrl,
I lived on Wendell and used to go to that Cunningham's for their chocolate cake with ice cream topped with chocolate syrup and cherries!! Do you remember Paradise Candies that was just across the street on Vernor? GREAT sundays.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger4me -
The Cunningham's you are thinking of was on the SW corner of Gratiot & 7 Mile. I'm 100% positive. (If you are remembering the 60's/70's, then a S.S. Kresge store was on the NW corner.) I remember mom buying me a barbecue beef sandwich there (and the poster advertised it as James River brand.) In 1972, that Cunningham's was where a friend and I had arranged to meet in order to hitchhike down to Cobo Hall & see the Rolling Stones. Friend backed out; the rest of that story will get on a classic rock thread one of these days.

Hornwrecker -
Yeah, that was my local Cunningham's too. Thanks so much for getting the archive photo posted. As a kid, I'd walk up there to spend some allowance money on Saturdays. In the photo, it shows BOTH the Detroit News and Free Press newspaper vending boxes. I saw my first light blue "Don't Be A Litterbug" trash barrel in that very spot, back in the 60's, when the national ad campaigns really drummed that concept into our heads. (IMO, that concept needs a retro-revival!)

Sorry, I put a correct location for Gratiot & 7 but not for Gratiot and VAN DYKE. So many Cunningham's, so few brain cells left!

(Message edited by elimarr on March 09, 2008)

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cunningham's on Van Dyke & Gratiot would have been on the NE corner. Van Dyke runs pretty much North & South. So Sears was on the SE corner. I remember hanging around the corner a lot during the middle 1950's. The person that sold papers on the corner had one leg that was fitted with a special raised shoe since one of his legs was shorter than the other. Another somewhat older guy probably in his twenties was in a wheelchair that used to also hang around the corner. Dorothy - thanks for the memories. I used to follow the same route to Cunningham's from Seminole.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Cunningham's on the SW corner of Gratiot and Pennsylvania, and one on the opposite side of Gratiot

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hamtramck there was also a Cunningham on Jos. Campau and Holbrook. NE corner. I was a safety boy on that corner and remember running in the store to warm up on cold winter days. They had a large soda fountain and my friends and I would stop in after school for a drink, I can't remember exactly the name of, but it could be bought in various flavors, cherry, chocolate, vanilla etc. The drink I believe was called something like chocolate or cherry phosphate? It was a flavored syrup mixed with something carbonated, perhaps seltzer. Anyway, they were wonderful. That is also where we had all our photos developed. This was in the mid fifties.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were in junior high school we used to stop at the Cunningham's on Wyoming and Joy Rd. on the way home to buy teen magazines and other assorted healthy junk such as cheese popcorn and chips. Or stop at Royal's on the opposite corner and order a bag of fries to go. Always cooked fresh and hot!! Had to wait until they cooled a bit before taking a bite.

aviation sub

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edziu; That store really filled up when the St. Florian HS let out. It was tough to get a seat. I recall they treated the customers pretty good.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ticub--So you remember "Cunningham's news ace zooms into your homes..." Me, too. We heard the noon radio broadcast sponsored by Cunningham's with that intro just about each noon day during the war from radio station WCAR in Pontiac.
I still think of that intro when a small plane goes by overhead.
The Cunninghams in Birmingham was on the SE corner of Maple and what is now old Woodward. They used to have a great photo developing department,I think in their own building over by Briggs stadium. Great service.
However, a better soda fountain for a chocolate malt was located at Wilson's Drugs on the NW corner. The real McCoy, not this stuff they pawn off on you at McDonalds, Berger Chef etc.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Berger Chef"

BURGER CHEF has been defunct for 12 years.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilsons Drugs used to keep their beer right by the side door on Maple. Many a teenager in the 50's opened the door grabbed a 6 pack and was on his way.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used to ride my bicycle from Dearborn down Michigan Ave to the Cunninghams downtown Detroit in the late 70's. My brother-in-law was the manager there. One time when I was there, there was this really attractive young black women fliting with me while I was hanging out. My Brother-in-law was laughing as quietly as he could behind the pharmecy counter. Later he told me that the pretty women was really a local guy working his way through a sex change opperation. Had me fooled.lol

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Ephroe's on 9 mile? Dave's party store? Sorry,come on,throw a suburbanite a bone.

Savannah

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on! Please don't let me kill off another thread!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA. Welcome to the forum, Savannah.

Be patient. It's not a chat room. It's not you.

:-)

Savannah

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimaz.I was thinking of changing my name to son of sam.

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked as a stock boy at the Cunningham's on W.Vernor & Springwells. Owner caught me lifting a candy bar, called my mom instead of the cops, and subsequently offered me a job. Fountain/lunch counter was gone by then. I did however have an intimate moment with one of the college aged cashiers in the milk cooler. A legendary moment of my puberty years. Wish I could go back in time and express my gratitude to the owner for giving a kid a chance.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Window shopping and being treated to a Coca Cola at Cunningham's lunch counter on a lazy Sunday afternoon is a cherished memory. Cunningham was the only store opened at Eastland on Sunday.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our local Cunningham's was the southwest corner of Plymouth and Evergreen . . . although I think it might have actually been on the corner of Vaughan. We had all our Super8 films developed there. And our black and white photos were square, with white scalloped borders. But my best memory . . . that's where I bought all my MAD magazines!!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our 4 sons all graduated from GPN. Two doctors and two engineers. They got a good education there. Not as nearly an attractive facade as GPS which stands alone as the most beautiful high school structure in all of Michigan. Sorry jjaba, that includes your beloved Cass Tech.
We represented the pile-driver contractor who had a few claims/suits filed against him when GPN was being built. Local neighbors claimed cracked basement walls as a result of the sinking of the pilings during construction.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl, that was my local store too. I can still recall when they bought the place next door and expanded it.

Here are a few others I can recall from the Center:

Shaws Records and Tapes
Kline's Dept Store
Sander's
Some paper/Card Shop.
Buster Brown Shoes (with a carosaul)
Woolworths
Wrigleys
Federals/Sears Surplus
Winkleman's

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner -

Good memory. Before it was Wrigleys, it was a Packers supermarket (first place we bought Pop Tarts).

Woolworths had the lunch counter against the east wall . . . and served the best fries, chocolate malts and cheesecake. I used to buy my 45s from Woolworths (for 45 cents). Albums were too expensive . . . $3!

I rode the carousel at Buster Browns many times. Blackie was my favorite horse. Mom bought me a pair of patent leather Mary Janes because I begged for them (I just really wanted to go to the store and ride the carousel). Within days, I ruined the shoes by dragging them tips first to stop my tricycle, rather than use the brakes.

Edziu

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger, You are absolutely correct. I attended Florian grammar school. The Lancers went to Cunninghams and the Cosmos piled into Sweetland.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember meeting Bozo the Clown at the Cunningham's at Mack and Moross.. mid 70s. I still have my "autographed" photo somewhere.

It was also my store of choice for Star Wars trading cards.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RickinATL - my best friend's grandmother lived on Carson - was always a big deal to go to her house because she spoiled us. I don't remember Paradise Candies - Mom must have kept me away from there! Remember shopping at Jupiter's and Niesner's.

Ronjm23
Username: Ronjm23

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the Cunninghams on the corner of Michigan Ave & Junction. Accross the street was a competitor Kinsels. That was way back in the 50's.

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly their main office was at 12th/rosa parks and bagley. Also Cunningham's at 8 mile and Dequindre, Caniff and Joseph Campau. In Hamtramck the building is still there and the old tiles still spell the name in front of the door the last time I looked. We still have tall green glasses from a promotion they had at the soda counter from about 1960-61.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinsels. I vaguely remember that. Was it a part of Kresge? I too was a stockboy at Cunningham's at the Allen/Goddard, Southgate store. A lot of girls came in for makeup and cologne, helped make the day go by quickly.

Ronjm23
Username: Ronjm23

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera:
I don't think that Kinsels was part of Kresges. If as your name eludes you lived downriver you might recall the Cuninghams on Biddle in Wyandotte. I can't remeber the cross street but it was near the Kresges and the Wrigleys supermarket. Again, that was in the 50's & 60's

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Warren and Outer Drive, Great looking Deco facade.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My area Cunningham's was at the corner of 7 Mile and Livernois. An interesting note about this store was when the city wanted to widen 7 Mile, they had to move the store around the corner so it was oriented along Livernois instead of 7 Mile. They built the new store INSIDE the old one and then made the change without closing either one.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats interesting swede1934....what is the time frame this took place?

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera:
In the Lincoln Park Plaza , the Kinsel's was at the corner of Fort and Emmons. It's a Blockbuster Video now. The S.S. Kresge store was next to Hudson's Budget Store on the south side of Emmons. It's now a Dollar store.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edziu: Did you opt for Hamtramck HS or an alternative?

Stinger

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4022
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best story about Cunningham's is that we still have a little bottle that says Cunningham's - the medicine in the bottle is Paregoric - (camphorated tincture of opium) - my mom put it on my gums when I was teething. As they say, back in the day when the air was clean and, well, you know the rest. Actually I have pictures of my family sitting down by the river, and the sky is purple from what plant, I don't know. But it was the early 60's and the sky is clearly purple.

Edziu

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger,

Graduated from St. Mary's Orchard Lake. I still keep in contact with several of my childhood HHS,Florian and St. Lad friends.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.